Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for sites where you can get low-cost/stock images to use in creating your cover.

I'm new to the boards, and I tried to search them on this topic, but I couldn't find anything. (Which is probably more due to my being new at navigating these boards than it is to the topic having never been covered).

I know there's istockphoto.com, but are there any others?

For instance, I was looking at the images on H.P. Mallory's books, and I know I've seen the same images on other books, so I'm assuming it comes from one of those buy-the-art, do-it-yourself type websites. Anyone know which one it is?

I'm trying to collect as many image websites as I can, so I have options when it comes to my next cover.

(My cover now looks better than it would seem by the thumbnail -- I uploaded the wrong size and now I'm waiting for kdp to let me have access to my title again, so I can reload a larger size cover).

Thanks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
As still a newbie here myself, I consider myself to be  a little savvy around the net. Search for free digital rights pix in google. You should come up with some decent sites. BTW, I did not use one of these on the cover in my sig. That was an actual photo that I took myself. I did however use a digital rights free pic for my next book which will be out later next month.

hope this helps.

Nicholas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went to fiverr.com and found a gig for ebook cover.  I sent my own photos. The person created a fantastic cover and I now use this person for every image-related item I need.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I get most of my images from Dreamstime. They have a fab deal where you can buy a membership for one week and get up to ten downloads a day (note: some images cost more than one download). I stockpile photos to use for later.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! Dreamstime is great -- that's the one I've been using (you can even find the same images there as on istockphoto, for less money). But I hadn't heard of fotolia before. Thanks! And I had totally forgotten about fiverr. That's awesome. The last cover artist I talked to said she was getting $700, but would do it for $300, since I was going indie. But I don't have that kind of cash. Five dollars, on the other hand...!

Since I'm new to cover images, I tried Google with various search strings, but there's so many related, but non-image providing, sites that I get, that it's like wading through muck.

I did, however, just find another one: www.bigstockphoto.com

I've tried pre-made sites, but all their covers tend to have more of a Harlequin look. What I'm trying to find is more along the lines of fun, paranormal chick-lit style images.

Or even sites that will help me generate my own images. Like, there was a site ages ago, where you put in your description and it spat out a South Park-style caricature. I have no idea how to even put that into a coherent search string!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I third dreamstime.  They had a great stock photo fro me to start with.  Then I added the tattoos my main character has and did a title treatment that echos the genre /feeling of the book.  I'm really happy with how it turned out (especially since I am no artist).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Besides dreamstime (my fav) and fotolia you also have 123RF, Shutterstock, depositphotos, CanStockPhoto, Romance Novel Covers, Hot Damn Stock, and Razzle Dazzle Stock (www.razzdazzstock.com).

There are many others but I've found the prices are a little higher at other places.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I use www.dreamstime.com almost exclusively because they've got the best prices I've found and a good selection. I just venture to other sites when I'm looking for something unusual and hard to find, like historical or interracial images.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
Regarding Dreamstime, just out of morbid interest is it possible for two people to download the same stock photo and both end up with a cover using it? That would kinda suck, but at the same time being free of digital rights issues there isn't anyway to prevent clashes like this is there? Perhaps when an image is downloaded it's pulled from the available list of images?

I haven't used the site so my thoughts may be way off.

Mark E. Cooper

·
Registered
132 Posts
markecooper said:
Regarding Dreamstime, just out of morbid interest is it possible for two people to download the same stock photo and both end up with a cover using it? That would kinda suck, but at the same time being free of digital rights issues there isn't anyway to prevent clashes like this is there? Perhaps when an image is downloaded it's pulled from the available list of images?

I haven't used the site so my thoughts may be way off.

Mark E. Cooper
Royalty Free images can be downloaded over and over again and yes, they can be used on designs each time. Though usually an artist will only use the image one time so it's likely it won't be EXACTLY the same cover design.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
http://www.123rf.com usually has some decent stuff. I've made all three of my covers so far based on photos from there so far. Cheap prices.

It seems the better the graphics, the more they're going to cost. Some of the royalty-free photo sites do use the same pictures with different prices, so browse around before making your purchase. Some also have free areas worth browsing around. Alot of it is amateur photography, but you can find a gem every once in a while.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you! I'm so glad we're sharing sites. Just for the heck of it, I went on Google last night and tried to find some on my own, and all I managed to do was get my computer infected with something. This morning, when I did a search for one of my docs, I found out a whole bunch of documents on my computer had been opened during the time I was looking at the Google sites, and some were no longer readable. And I wasn't the one who opened them.

Which is why I would much rather get a site reference from a real person. At least that way, you know you're getting a real site, and not some evil, disguised, hackware.

Re: duplicate covers, I think that's a risk on any site. I tend to combine images, so it's less of a risk, but still. Unless you hire an illustrator for a custom cover, I think there's always going to be a small risk of another author responding to the same cover.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I almost always use Deviantart.com. There is a lot of great stock there if you're willing to search for it. Some people don't want it used outside of DA or in commercial stuff, but a lot of them are just putting it up because it's what they love to do. As long as you credit them, many are happy to let you use their stock almost any way you choose.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oooh! I found some cool vector sites on google -- (okay, and considering my track record with Google today, proceed at your own risk)

Anyway, here they are. I think they're all real sites, but hackers are getting better at being sneaky, so I can't guarantee it. I was getting mired in the stock photo search string, so I tried a vector art search string instead.

www.vecteezy.com

vectorart.org

www.vectorportal.com

vector4free.com

www.jupiterimages.com

www.vectorstock.com

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
So, what's the deal with istockphoto? Is the standard license sufficient for book covers? What size is acceptable for ebook covers? I know there are cheaper sites than istock but they've got the photo I need.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Hiyaaaa! :)

Yep, the greats have been listed of stock photo sites, and you'll find a great bunch to sort through. BUT if you change your mind and would like to find an affordable artist over an affordable stock photo, might I suggest Tara Shuler, Paul J Coleman, or even myself? :)

Tara: http://www.tarashuler.com/cover-design-service/

Paul: http://bookpumper.com/

Me: Link is in my siggy. There are other great book cover designers here, too, but I just can't remember who they are - there's a master list - I just remember the ones that I think are quality designers. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
RonnellDPorter said:
Hiyaaaa! :)

Yep, the greats have been listed of stock photo sites, and you'll find a great bunch to sort through. BUT if you change your mind and would like to find an affordable artist over an affordable stock photo, might I suggest Tara Shuler, Paul J Coleman, or even myself? :)

Tara: http://www.tarashuler.com/cover-design-service/

Paul: http://bookpumper.com/

Me: Link is in my siggy. There are other great book cover designers here, too, but I just can't remember who they are - there's a master list - I just remember the ones that I think are quality designers. :)
Sorry, but I didn't see anything about covers or art on bookpumpers.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts