Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to add a different Dictionary to Kindle-1? If so, how and which would be the best?

I am at a loss on finding this info in this board, and I also used the search to no avail. The dictionary that come with it is not finding most of the words I am trying to look up.

Thank you for any help or direction to this topic,

-sailor

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is only one dictionary became available which can be used as the dictionary for the Kindle.  I read it at Amazon discussion looong time ago. I wonder if anyone still remember which one.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Are there any dictionaries available as just regular Kindle books?  Then it wouldn't have the same lookup functions, but you could open it as a book and do a search, right?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Yes, there's some dictionary available as in kindle book. I don't know how it is used. It might be good idea to get a sample first and see how you might be able to use it. Maybe there's someone who bought the dictionary here...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I hope I'm not reviving an old thread here, but this is one of my main questions. I know in the User's Manual it says refers us to chapter 7 for info regarding changing the primary dictionary, and there obviously is a process, so I guess the real question is, 'can any dictionary purchased in the Kindle store be used as a primary dictionary?' I would really like to use something other than the an American dictionary. I gues I can purchase one from the store and give it a try. One thing though, I'm thinking a sample dictionary might not work the same as a complete dictionary.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^ ^ ^ suicidepact,

It is fine to pull up any thread you would like, not a problem (especially if I was the one to start it ;D)...make yourself at home and ask away pulling up as far back as you would like to go.

I would like to replace the dictionary that came with mine. You are right, the sample won't get you very far into the alphabet.

Sailor

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think I found something, it seems you do have to have a special formatted dictionary to enable it as a primary dictionary. It seems like http://www.amazon.com/Eastons-Dictionary-instant-definition-ebook/dp/B001VEJ09Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1242627583&sr=1-1 is available to enable as a primary dictionary, and seems to be the only one Amazon's site. At least, it's the only one so noted. Also, it's only for the K2, which I have, but I know the OP has stated they have a K1. Oh well, the search continues...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ ^ ^ suicidepact,

Are you looking for an answer to my question on the dictionary as well as yours? Yes, I have the K-1. Thank you for the continued searching as I have found nothing on this topic...this is so nice of you to keep an eye out.

Sailor

·
Registered
761 Posts
No problem. So far I've downloaded the sample and couldn't install the sample as a primary dictionary as explained in the K2 user's manual, but the page for the dictionary said that might happen. I don't really want to buy a bible dictionary, so I'll continue looking for another dictionary. Unfortunately the Amazon Kindle site isn't very helpful when it comes to explaining this bit.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ ^ ^ suicidepact,

Yes, they keep all the useful information well hidden from us. Frustrating, I know!

Thank you again, California neighbor. Off to bed I go, it's a busy day tomorrow.

Sweet Dreams,

Sailor

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm also interested in this question.

I remember reading somewhere (unfortunately I don't remember where) that Amazon did include the functionality to switch dictionaries - which has pretty much been confirmed by suicidepact in this thread - but that Amazon don't have any other dictionaries available yet.

I guess they've since added one for the K2, albeit a not very useful one for most of us. I'm not very hopeful for more dictionaries for the K1 now though. A shame 'cause I was hoping for an Australian or at least an English dictionary at some point.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I've asked in at least one other thread but nobody seemed to know, or at least nobody replied, so I'll try again here.... 

There was a link a few weeks ago to an Amazon Kindle version of the Oxford Concise English dictionary.  That's the one I use in DTB for casual use, and that's the one I'd like on the Kindle.  The link worked at the time, but I was in a hurry and didn't buy it right then.  A week later it didn't work anymore, and an Amazon search does not turn up this book for Kindle now.

Does anyone know where this book might be available?   

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Susan in VA said:
I've asked in at least one other thread but nobody seemed to know, or at least nobody replied, so I'll try again here....

There was a link a few weeks ago to an Amazon Kindle version of the Oxford Concise English dictionary. That's the one I use in DTB for casual use, and that's the one I'd like on the Kindle. The link worked at the time, but I was in a hurry and didn't buy it right then. A week later it didn't work anymore, and an Amazon search does not turn up this book for Kindle now.

Does anyone know where this book might be available?

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
suicidepact said:
I hope I'm not reviving an old thread here, but this is one of my main questions. I know in the User's Manual it says refers us to chapter 7 for info regarding changing the primary dictionary, and there obviously is a process, so I guess the real question is, 'can any dictionary purchased in the Kindle store be used as a primary dictionary?' I would really like to use something other than the an American dictionary. I gues I can purchase one from the store and give it a try. One thing though, I'm thinking a sample dictionary might not work the same as a complete dictionary.
My guess is that dictionaries that are enabled for Kindle access require special coding. There is currently an option from Settings that lists Primary Dictionary with a "Change" toggle but the only choice is The New Oxford American even if you have another dictionary on your Kindle. Obviously I have not tried this with all available dictionaries so I could be all wet.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Jeff said:
Thank you, Jeff, but that's the American -- I specifically want the English. Just my personal eccentricity. :D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
adding myself to this thread as I too would like a different dictionary for my k1. about 90% of the words I wan't to know aren't listed.

theresam

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, it is possible to use other dictionaries with the Kindle 1.  I have four dictionaries on mine, and can make any one of the four "default."

GNU Collaborative International Dictionary
WordNet
Webster's Dictionary 1913 Edition
New Oxford American Dictionary (Kindle native default)

People who want to change the default dictionary are usually those with special needs. Like reading Beowulf or a medical text.  None of the dictionaries I mentioned here will help with that, but they are all free.

I can provide download links if anyone wish to try an 'alternate.'

Woody

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'd be interested in those links Woody, just for the sake of trying to change my primary dictionary. Thanks in advance. Although to be more precise I do do agree with Susan in VA, I would prefer an English or at least not so limited dictionary. Still, this is good progress.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts