Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read someone that you can buy books before turning on your Kindle.  Can you buy Kindle books before actually buying the Kindle?  ??? I'm hoping it helps me save money buy not buying hardcopy if I buy the kindle edition and then wait to read until I actually buy the Kindle.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
So you haven't even ordered one yet?  I believe you have to have a registered Kindle, as the books need to be registered to a specific Kindle.  Leslie, anyone?

Betsy

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I thought the same thing.  Not positive but I think you have to at least purchased a Kindle even if you haven't received it. 

You won't be able to read the Kindle books without the reader.  Some formats you can read from you computer.  Amazon books are not one of them.  Ship dates for Kindles are out to March, unless you can catch one of the refurbished ones or buy one off ebay.  I can understand getting the free book but do you really want to spend money on books you can't enjoy right away?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You cannot buy Kindle books without a Kindle registered to your account.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Once you actually buy the kindle you get a new option when you get into your account that will allow you to "manage your kindle".  so you definitely need to at least buy before the kindle before you can buy kindle books.  You won't  be able to download the books to your computer until you actually get the Kindle and link it to WN.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
And when the Kindle gets registered seems to vary.

When I bought mine back in April, they were backordered for about 3-4 weeks. It took mine a month to arrive. It did not get registered to my account until about week before it shipped. To me, it seemed like they got a list of serial numbers and could then assign them to the accounts as they prepared the Kindles for shipping. I couldn't buy any books or samples until it was registered to my account.

The other 3 kindles I've bought from Amazon (two new and one refurb) all were in stock when I placed the order so they got assigned to my account almost instantly. I could "push" books and content to them from my account right away.

The other Kindle I've bought was used, from a private seller, so that one didn't get registered until it was in my hands.

L

·
Registered
366 Posts
Correction once the serial number is linked to your account you can download.  I just looked at my account and even though I don't physically have the Kindle yet there is a serial number attached to the account and I was able to download the books I ordered.  Also Mobi Pocket reader can read the amazon format so you can read the books on the computer as long as you have Mobi.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
thejackylking said:
Correction once the serial number is linked to your account you can download. I just looked at my account and even though I don't physically have the Kindle yet there is a serial number attached to the account and I was able to download the books I ordered. Also Mobi Pocket reader can read the amazon format so you can read the books on the computer as long as you have Mobi.
No, you can't, because the Kindle books have DRM.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
thejackylking said:
I bought a sherlock holmes book from amazon and it opened in mobi. I just did it a few minutes ago.
Really? Interesting. What's the extension on the file, if I may ask? .azw or .prc?

EDIT: Okay, I just did a test. I used two books I have obtained in recent days: one of the free ones from Amazon (The Foreign Correspondent) and another from a small indie publisher (Connections). Connections did open in Mobipocket reader but The Foreign Correspondent did not, with a message that Amazon was not a trusted mobipocket partner! LOL. So...as with everything in this ebook world, I suspect the situation is that it varies from book to book as to whether or not you can read it on your computer.

L

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
When I ordered my Kindle there was a 3-4 week wait. Once I ordered it, it showed in my manage my kindle as registered, but there was no serial number with it, that part was blank. But I was able to buy books minutes after I ordered.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Not in my case, I was able to buy and get samples long before it shipped and before there was any serial number on my account.

Maybe they didn't have any actual serial number because of the long wait time, don't know.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
When I ordered my Kindle, there was a 2-3 week backorder, but the device got registered almost immediately - within a day or two at the very most (I didn't check before that).

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
When I bought my brother's Kindle, I was able to download to it pretty soon; didn't realize it and some books were directed to it by mistake.

Betsy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts