Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suppose I bought a book. Usually when I try to buy it again, Amazon reminds me I bought it already. But what if I want to buy it again? Say, for instance, I want to have one copy always available for myself and one to lend out to someone else. (Since you can't read the book while it is being lent.) Is this possible?

·
5,931 Posts
I'm not sure if that's possible - I've never heard of it being done.

But if you're buying a second copy just to lend it out, consider this - you can only lend each copy of the book once, so once loaned, it's of no use to you. Why not just buy it for the person you were going to lend it to instead. That way, there would be no time restriction on how long they can keep it for. You'd be no worse off and either way you still have your own copy.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
You can only buy a book once.  So the only way to buy a second e-copy is if the publisher/author uploads a new version with a different ASIN.

And I agree with Linda about the lending.  I personally don't consider it to be much of a benefit since you can only lend any book one time.  So if it's just one person you want to read the book, just buy 'em a copy.  If it's several, I guess you have to decide if you want to buy them all a copy.  Or you could just recommend it to them and let them buy it.

Alternatively, if you have a group who read a lot of the same books, you might want to have all of you registered to the same account.  You just have to keep track of who buys what. . . .and folks need to realize if they decide to read the group, they can take the books on their Kindle but won't have access to the archive once they're deregistered from the account.  It can work. . . you just need to make sure everything is clear to everyone to start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Because of Kindle restrictions I cannot give away free copies of my own work whenever I want, I must select promotional days of which I only have 5, on which to give away the book to everyone.

But I can loan out the copy that I buy. So, I wanted to buy multiple copies on this promotion day so I could loan them out later and to multiple people.

I had already loaned out a copy, and I think this confused the system because now my book shows in the "Manage your Kindle" section as both on loan, and today as the purchase date.

So to sum up, no you can't buy multiple copies, if you own a copy I can see no way to buy a second one, if you buy one while yours is on loan it will confuse the system, and if your book is on loan you can buy and gift one, but if you buy a second one for yourself you then can't gift it.

I will be cross posting this to the KDP forums as I'm an author.

Sidenote: "Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days. Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."

This kind of thing is a stupid policy across the Internet. Which do you want people to search before they ask questions or to not necro post? Because these goals conflict.

If I know that necro posting isn't permitted then search results are worthless because any question I look at is to some possibly significant degree out of date therefor it behooves me to skip searching entirely and post my question anew as I'll get a more up to date answer and save myself the time spent search.

If I know necro posting is permitted then potentially even a thread started 5 years ago may be of use to me because of recent activity.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Innomen--

welcome to KindleBoards!

a couple things--

I see you are going to "cross post" this to the KDP forums. Technically, that's not cross posting as we are not affiliated with Amazon (other than as am Amazon Affiliate wherein we get a tiny amount for each purchase made through the site). Cross posting would be if you posted the same thing here in our Writers' Café. Which, technically, is where this post should be as self promotion here on KindleBoards is only allowed in the Writers' Café, and we consider any mention of authors' own books to be promotional. Just sayin'.

As for the 120 day post warning, as you can see, you can post to threads that are dead and gone, we just prefer that people consider whether other members are better served by starting a new thread rather than reviving an old one which may have outdated information and only confuse the issue. However, an older thread may still have valid information whether its been posted to recently or not, therefor searching is still a good idea!

Welcome again to KindleBoards. Be sure to check out the Writers' Café where your fellow authors will be hanging out.

Betsy
KB Moderator

1 - 5 of 5 Posts