Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I'm thinking of purchasing a kindle for my husband and i'm curious if a kindle will allow you to download audio books that are on cd's to it? Also, our library allows free downloads of books onto a computer, can you transfer those downloads to the kindle?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another person named Kat???  :eek: Oh the horror...
Um, as long as the file is on your computer, and in a compatible format, you can put it on the Kindle. I have no idea when it comes to audiobooks. I hate audiobooks. Seriously, I go back and reread paragraphs all the time. You can't do that with an audiobook. So irritating..

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
You probably will not be able to put library ebooks on the Kindle. They are likely DRM'd.

Audio books will work if they are Audible files or unprotected mp3 files.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can put Mobi format library books on a Kindle.  Don't know of a way to do it with the Adobe ones though.  I'd mention you could read those on a Sony but somebody might shoot me ;)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You should talk to your librarian regarding the library's e-books, they likely know if they can be transferred to portable devices.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Converting the Adobe PDF to anything else is iffy at best but you can usually get a readable copy from the Mobipocket Creator. There are also freeware converters that work okay. I've never found anything perfect since Microsoft withdrew their PDF to Word converter.

Discussing other formats, particularly Mobipocket, is in no way being disloyal to your Kindle. Amazon bought Mobipocket in 2005 ostensibly because Adobe decided to get out of the eBook packaging and serving business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts