Kindle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever gotten in trouble for adding chapters to an old KDP book (ebook and paperback)

I've been looking into improving my books from years ago. Today I was reviewing the KDP docs about changing existing book content. They say:
  • If you change more than 10% of your book, you're supposed to create a new ASIN.
  • And, if you change the title or author name, you're supposed to indicate the old title in the book's description text.
Years ago, I remade a book and never knew about these rules.

I never got a complaint from KDP.

But I'm just wondering if anyone has ever got in trouble for this.

See below link and image

thanks!

Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Rectangle

·
Registered
830 Posts
I very much doubt AZ has the time or resources to monitor things like that. That said, if someone (i.e. reader) happens to notice the changes and complains, I imagine AZ would say something. The only hard and fast limit in regard to paperbacks, as far as I know, is that you can't change the physical number of pages after publication. I had to reformat an internal file once because of new gutter requirements, which increased the number of printed pages in my paperback by two or three, but because I had included the maximum-allowable number of blank pages in the original file I was able to keep the total number of pages the same by eliminating some of the blanks. So--If one were to add content to a paperback but changed the formatting (like font size) to maintain the same number of physical pages, I suppose you could get away with it.

But anytime you flirt with AZ rules, don't be surprised if somewhere down the road you get your hand slapped for it if they catch on.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I've constantly changed my books. One of them, which is a story collection, I probably exceeded the 10% rule, though not all at once (I added one story, then another story a year later).

So as far as Amazon is concerned, I suspect they don't really care, as long as nobody complains.

The paperback size is an issue to consider, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts