Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to format my book in files other than .mobi and epub. Is it possible to use Calibre to convert one of those files into some of the more obscure formats or would it require special coding/formatting for each file type? I've never attempted to upload my titles anywhere but Amazon and B&N so I'm a little lost. I'd like the formatting to be consistent and as close to flawless across all platforms as possible, but there's also the matter of taking the time to format for each platform.

Unfortunately, I'm not at all tech savvy and my "pro" formatter (my love) expects me to tell him exactly what I need from him before he starts a project. If I could just take one of my other files and use Calibre without a bunch of wonky mistakes that would be ideal.

So any advice? I thank you in advance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Victorine said:
Yes, I use Calibre, and I like the results. I've never had any wonky things. But I suppose you could have issues if the settings were off.

Vicki
Thanks for your feedback! What format do you use as your base for converting?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MoonlitDreams said:
I wasn't fond of Calibre. I use Jutoh for all my e-book formatting needs and I love it! :)
This is the first I've heard of that program. I'll check it out.

Any particular reasons why you prefer it? Calibre works fine for what I've been using it for (switching books back and forth between my Kindle and Nook), but I haven't used it for anything really elaborate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used Jutoh first, because it does ALL the conversions you will ever need. Smashwords, mobi, epub, html, mp3, htb, text... You enter it once and choose the file conversion you need. Simple. It is not free. I spent $39.99 on it, but IMO it was well worth it.

I did try Calibre after I bought Jutoh just to see how they compared, since Calibre was free, and I had a hard time with it. That was probably just because I was so used to Jutoh. 

·
Registered
115 Posts
[Post content removed to protect my content and data because I do not agree to or accept VerticalScope's new Terms of Service. I hereby reject said terms and retain all copyrights to my information and content.

I disavow any association with the new ads that now exist that may be tasteless, racist, demeaning to women, sexist, or exploitative in any way.]

·
Registered
399 Posts
VKScott said:
I follow Guido Henkel's guide for formatting, which uses Calibre: http://guidohenkel.com/2010/12/take-pride-in-your-ebook-formatting/

I've never used Calibre to convert the HTML file to anything besides .mobi and .epub, though it has those options and I don't see why it would be a problem.
I just started using Guido Henkel's guide today, but got 3/4 through and realized I was formatting an older version of the novel. Head-Desk. Ouch.

It's my first time formating with HMTL. Before, I just uploaded a slightly altered version of the Smashwords file. Unfortunately, one of the writers on this forum was kind enough to buy and read my novel and found formatting issues. So now I'm trying to format with a "proven" method used by a pro.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I use Calibre. I have converted documents to mobi, pdf, lit, rb, and epub. I have used rtf and html which all convert great to mobi, but for some reason on a few of my books I had to use the mobi file to convert to epub and rb. Strangely, it's different for each book.  Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts