Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now here's an idea.  I'm trying to learn German.  Does anyone know if the text to speech function has the "ability" to pronounce a foreign language "relatively" correctly?  I heard the text to speech function on a K2 this weekend, and I was mildly impressed.  I'd be very interested in knowing if it can also pronounce words in German with precision.  If it could pronounce them with the same precision it does English, I might be more interested in a K2.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
I have no idea, but if you have a link to something in German that I can download I'd be happy to test it for you.  (native German speaker)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Susan in VA said:
I have no idea, but if you have a link to something in German that I can download I'd be happy to test it for you. (native German speaker)
There is a German magazine you can download under a trial subscription. It's called WirtschaftsWoche, I'm using different resources, but if the Kindle could pronounce German with accuracy, I could use it as a pronounciation guide.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
idolguy said:
There is a German magazine you can download under a trial subscription. It's called WirtschaftsWoche, I'm using different resources, but if the Kindle could pronounce German with accuracy, I could use it as a pronounciation guide.
OK, I'll do that. Might take me until tomorrow though, because I just got my Kindle *yesterday* -- still figuring out all the features -- and work and sleep keep interfering with that!

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I was curious about that too. I don't have a K2 yet, still K1, but I read a lot of german news feeds through calibre and I wondered how the K2 would read that  ;D

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
idolguy said:
Now here's an idea. I'm trying to learn German. Does anyone know if the text to speech function has the "ability" to pronounce a foreign language "relatively" correctly? I heard the text to speech function on a K2 this weekend, and I was mildly impressed. I'd be very interested in knowing if it can also pronounce words in German with precision. If it could pronounce them with the same precision it does English, I might be more interested in a K2.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
Text to speech uses prerecorded phonemes which are essentially the distinctive sounds of a specific language. Unless Amazon has some method for switching the core dictionaries to alternate languages, I doubt that the German pronunciation would be satisfactory for your needs. Online TTS translation is available. Here's one example:

http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Jeff said:
Text to speech uses prerecorded phonemes which are essentially the distinctive sounds of a specific language. Unless Amazon has some method for switching the core dictionaries to alternate languages, I doubt that the German pronunciation would be satisfactory for your needs. Online TTS translation is available. Here's one example:

http://text-to-speech.imtranslator.net/
I just tested that one. I can confirm that the pronunciation of their German speaker is flawless, although the intonation is completely flat and unnatural (as you'd expect from that technology), so just be aware of that if you're learning a language.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
That link does it pretty good Susan, doesn't it. Whats funny is that it said my city name correctly something my hubby's GPS can't even do.

I didn't try any umlaute, have to find the codes to see if it says those. Now I am exited to get my K2, once I save up enough money. I have nobody to speak german with, other than calling my mom on the phone sometimes and my brain I think needs to hear the words before I forget even more  :D. I don't mind it sounding "stiff" as to me a Bavarian, any "high" german sounds stiff anyway  ;D.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Atunah said:
That link does it pretty good Susan, doesn't it. Whats funny is that it said my city name correctly something my hubby's GPS can't even do.

I didn't try any umlaute, have to find the codes to see if it says those. Now I am exited to get my K2, once I save up enough money. I have nobody to speak german with, other than calling my mom on the phone sometimes and my brain I think needs to hear the words before I forget even more :D. I don't mind it sounding "stiff" as to me a Bavarian, any "high" german sounds stiff anyway ;D.
Ahem. I would like to point out that to someone who speaks high German (from Hannover, center of the high-German-speaking region), you Bavarians sound... well... um.... "charming". Yeah, that's it. ;D

(For everyone else... substitute one Texas drawl and one neutral CNN-news-announcer accent here.)

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
:D Northern Germans used to tell me my dialect sounds like a dog barking  :D

I went somewhere in Schwaben once and could not understand a word the older folks were saying. Its amazing home many dialects there are. Just 5 miles from where I am from, they already have another language going. When I drawl on in my regional dialect, I don't think someone from more up north could understand either.

I always say I speak 2 germans, high and bavarian  ;D

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Atunah said:
:D Northern Germans used to tell me my dialect sounds like a dog barking :D
LOL! Naaaah.... but the Austrian one does, to me.... <hoping there aren't any easily offended ones here>

Atunah said:
I went somewhere in Schwaben once and could not understand a word the older folks were saying. Its amazing home many dialects there are. Just 5 miles from where I am from, they already have another language going. When I drawl on in my regional dialect, I don't think someone from more up north could understand either.
You're right, probably not. But then even in the north, the dialects in some of the very small towns (like someplace in Schleswig-Holstein) are hard to understand.
The only one that makes me really wince though is the accent from Sachsen.

Atunah said:
I always say I speak 2 germans, high and bavarian ;D
:) I'm hoping that all Bavarians do! My daughter is starting a partial-immersion program at school next year, and I just found out her teacher will be from there. I can just imagine DD coming home with a Bavarian accent... :eek:

Think we've hijacked this thread long enough? :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts