Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Canadian Kindle Store lack a lot compared to the American? Because I'm from Canada and getting a Kindle for my birthday in June, but I might not want to spend all that money for a Kindle to find out that the books I want aren't even available.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
KyahCA said:
Does the Canadian Kindle Store lack a lot compared to the American? Because I'm from Canada and getting a Kindle for my birthday in June, but I might not want to spend all that money for a Kindle to find out that the books I want aren't even available.
Enjoy your new Kindle. I got one for my birthday and I in turn gave my mom one for her birthday. They make fun gifts. They're also the gift that keeps on giving because now I can give my mom skins and covers for her Kindle on future birthdays. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yep, Amazon is Canuck-friendly, unlike certain other ebook reader stores which shall remain nameless.  ::)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've had a kindle for a year and a half or so, and I'm from Canada - amazon has the best selection for Canadians - although there are books we can't get like James Patterson, and the latest mary higgins clark is no longer there.  If you see a newly published book you want buy it because sometimes they disappear...real annoying.  But you will find plenty of books to choose from don't worry.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Daniel Arenson said:
In Canada, you can buy your Kindle books from Amazon.com.
I agree with Daniel Arenson's recommendation. To get the broadest selection, buy from Amazon.com.

[Edit: typo]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dara England said:
Enjoy your new Kindle. I got one for my birthday and I in turn gave my mom one for her birthday. They make fun gifts. They're also the gift that keeps on giving because now I can give my mom skins and covers for her Kindle on future birthdays. :)
Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it. :) And I'll be getting it right about when summer starts so I'll be able to do as much reading as I want. :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
KyahCA said:
Wait, I was on the American Kindle Store, and there was a book I wanted that said was not available in Canada. :(
Once in a while that will happen, depending on rights and other arcane practices.

·
Registered
327 Posts
KyahCA said:
Well that kind of sucks. :/
Well, yes. It's a market issue. I could go on and on about this, and bore you to tears. ;)

You might try emailing the author to apprise him/her of the situation. Something might come of it. Who knows?

·
Registered
327 Posts
happyme said:
I have a cousin in Canada, and he seems very happy. If it's the online thing, then I don't think it should lack in any way?
There are some geographic issues due to rights restrictions. You have a physical address on your Amazon account, and Amazon can also tell where your IP address is located. Even if you're on the .com site they will block a purchase if rights have not been licensed into your jurisdiction.

At least that's my understanding. I've come across a couple of ebooks I couldn't buy from Amazon, no matter how I tried to trick it. (I didn't attempt an anonymizer service; I doubt it would work.) My most recent example: an ebook of Terry Pratchett.

·
Registered
327 Posts
KyahCA said:
Is there any way I (from Canada) could use the lending feature to borrow an ebook that doesn't have rights in Canada?
That is a very interesting question, and I also would like to know if it's possible.

For the Pratchett book in question, the person who wanted me to read it sent his file as an email attachment -- which I didn't suggest, incidentally [there's no angel emoticon here!]. I couldn't open it. Got a geographic restriction message...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been comparing iBooks to Kindle in Canada and am finding more selection in iBooks and in all cases better prices.  Some of the books were Brad Thor's Athena Project and Full Black, as well as David Baldacci's The Sixth Man and Hell's Kitchen and Jeffery Deaver's The Burning Wire.  After being very happy with my Kindle and am disappointed of late.

Anyone find the search for authors sometimes works very weird?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my kindle this weekend - I live in Canada but had it delivered to family in the States, so I wouldn't have to pay an extra shipping fee.  I'm wondering what happens if I register my location as the US, even though I live in Canada.  The only reason I would do this is to purchase books unavailable to Canadian users (Bossypants, by Tina Fey).  Does anyone know what impact this would have?  Would I lose the book if I changed my country location?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts