Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually always accept bookbub deals if they include the USA ( where 99% of my readers are)

This time they got back to me and said, you have been selected but not for the USA ( just for ca, uk, india, australia)

The last time they did this under one of my pen names i canceled and from then on they haven't selected that pen name for a bookbub.(in years) Not sure if they take offense to being turned down.

But i have found sales from ca, uk, india and australia just aren't worth it at 99 cents where I'm getting only 0.35 cents for each sale.

Their estimate of how many sales i would get amounted to less than what they want to charge me. So in my mind thats pointless.

Also, why give you every other country barring the USA? Seems like they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Have you turned down a bookbub because of not getting USA?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
What you got approved for is an International Bookbub. Are they worth it? Yes, usually.

If you search the forum there are a bunch of threads on this exact issue already, some of them quite recent.

·
Registered
68 Posts
anotherpage said:
Good points. Have accepted it to test it out.
I hope this works well for you. Just ran my first international-only Bookbub on a standalone book (nearly all of my sales have been U.S. for this title), and I was pleasantly surprised by the results. Covered costs, plus a bit, and added a few hundred new readers. No read through to other books (because there aren't any yet), so you may have better results with your series. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
My international deals are never the slam dunks that US deals are, but they’ve always earned back their money in less than two days. It probably just depends on the genre. Mine is non-fiction.

·
Registered
145 Posts
yes, i informed bookbub that i am no longer open to international only deals

it hasn't caused any problem with getting "real" bookbubs

reason, as a wide author, amazon doesn't allow me to schedule price changes, so i have to do them manually, doing it twice, first doing the international bookbub, then a month later getting approved for the US bookbub was doing twice the work & hassle for no more money

and in theory you could be accepted for an international bookbub then not get picked up for the USA bookbub which means you did a lot of work & hassle & price changes for a profit that really isn't enough to compensate for your time

my goal is not to earn back my own money, my goal is to make money, & any tactic that wastes my time wastes money too

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
nightwork said:
yes, i informed bookbub that i am no longer open to international only deals

it hasn't caused any problem with getting "real" bookbubs

reason, as a wide author, amazon doesn't allow me to schedule price changes, so i have to do them manually, doing it twice, first doing the international bookbub, then a month later getting approved for the US bookbub was doing twice the work & hassle for no more money

and in theory you could be accepted for an international bookbub then not get picked up for the USA bookbub which means you did a lot of work & hassle & price changes for a profit that really isn't enough to compensate for your time

my goal is not to earn back my own money, my goal is to make money, & any tactic that wastes my time wastes money too
I'm curious how long it takes you to execute a price change? I'm wide and can do it inside of twenty minutes while leisurely sipping coffee. Are your Int only not earning out? 20 minutes for MANY hundreds of dollars+ reviews seems like worthy of 20 minutes of time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
H.C. said:
I'm curious how long it takes you to execute a price change? I'm wide and can do it inside of twenty minutes while leisurely sipping coffee. Are your Int only not earning out? 20 minutes for MANY hundreds of dollars+ reviews seems like worthy of 20 minutes of time.
ii am a wide author who still makes substantial sales on Amazon, so cutting my royalties down to 35% on Amazon US is a genuine opportunity cost

if you're wide for the duration of the sales price on Amazon you are getting paid only 35% royalties on Amazon even on sales in the US market which isn't being promoted

sure it earns out, but you spent money to be no further ahead than where you were & maybe somewhat behind

also...

you can do price changes in a matter of two minutes on all the other retailers because you can set it & forget it & it happens automatically

to change prices on Amazon usually takes multiple communications and several days if you want the price correct in all markets- at least it does for me- i think some people genuinely aren't affected or else don't check all markets & have no idea how long their books actually stay on sale at 99 cents paying them pennies (sometimes for weeks if they don't constantly send PLEASE TAKE ME OFF PRICE MATCHING)

meanwhile the opportunity cost of having your book stuck in the 35% tier in the Amazon US marketplace when the promo only went international...

don't do this to yourself, it starts to add up to real money

1 - 10 of 10 Posts