Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there's a previous post on this the moderators can fold me into that post- sorry I'm late to the party. I just read an article where amazon, obeying Google play rules, will no longer allow readers to buy any books using the amazon APP using an android phone ( or other android device)
Well, that sucks, but it said I can buy books from my laptop going straight to the amazon webpage
And that's fine but I'm a bit worried here.
Once I buy a book can I still read it off my android phone or do i have to use only the amazon kindle device? iPad?
Will the android phone be able to access books? And if not yet-- when?
Bonus question.... why couldn't Google Play and Amazon talk this out and compromise on this technicality? If done correctly we wouldn't have even known there was an issue but now there is. And my concern is.....what next?
I'd rather not have to buy an apple phone I prefer android. (The more reasonable price is one reason)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well, you wouldn't want to buy an Apple device to get around this, as that's been the case for quite a long time on iOS. You cannot buy Kindle books via either the Kindle app or the Amazon app on iOS, because Apple limits digital purchases on the platform. The good news is, that means this problem already existed. And there's no access problem there--e.g., any book I've bought for Kindle on any device I own is available on all the others (so long as it's supported, for example I can't read a purchased comic on my old 5th gen e-ink).

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's not just Amazon. It's B&N as well and probably other places. Google is trying to bully companies into using Google Pay. It's not in other companys' interest to use Google Pay. Blame Google, not Amazon or the other companies. I don't see what the big deal is. People have always gone to browsers to buy stuff. How is this any different? Browsers were around before apps. Readers know how to buy books off Amazon.com. Buy it off the site and put it on your device. Done.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I've not heard of this but, a) I would think you should still be able to buy books on your phone using your phone's browser and b) you should be able to read them on any device, including your phone, via the Cloud Reader.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can't buy from within the Kindle app because it doesn't want to give Google the 35% vig.

However, you can go directly to Amazon from within your device's Chrome browser and buy with no problems. Then go into the Kindle app and download the book you just bought. It's really pretty simple.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts