Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been looking at the Kindle for months and almost bought one last Thursday when I saw that Oprah would be featuring it. I thought there might be a discount so I waited a day and and saved $50.

I have been saying that this is a family Christmas presant, but it arrives on Friday and I can't wait. I've already purchase several books for both me and my wife to immediately download once turned on.

Tomorrow is our 12th anniversary. I am seriously considering turning this into an anniversary gift instead of a Christmas gift. Two months is probably just too long to wait.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Pretty sure you're going to decide it's not a 'family' gadget.  Might want to just go ahead and get a second one now.  :)

Ann

·
Registered
165 Posts
I believe it was Leslie who told me. "You should never have to share chocolate or your Kindle." I immediately took her advice and bought ny husband a Kindle. We've been happily married ever since!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Susan B said:
I believe it was Leslie who told me. "You should never have to share chocolate or your Kindle." I immediately took her advice and bought ny husband a Kindle. We've been happily married ever since!
Hahahaha, sometimes I am very wise! And what you said (if I said that) that is very true!

Tom Ashton, go for the anniversary and make it a pair. For Christmas, buy your wife a roll of paper towels. She'll understand.

Or maybe a box of Frango mints if you are really in the mood to splurge....LOL

L

·
Registered
186 Posts
Remember that the $50 Opra discount ends on Nov 1.  I assume you could get the discount on a second one.
I too thought my wife and i could share one.  She was so taken with hers, which allowed her to read again after a long dry spell, (physically limited) that I had to get one for myself within a week or so.  Susan B (my sis) learned the same thing, as she posts above.  Congrats- you and spouse will love yours.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I have cantwait-itis now.  Maybe Bob, the mailman, will bring it tomorrow???

·
Registered
88 Posts
thomashton said:
I've already purchase several books for both me and my wife to immediately download once turned on.
Oh, thomashton, you have made it so easy to reply with a vaguely ribald quip that you've sucked all the fun out of it. Maybe Teninx would like to take this one.

Congratulations on the Kindle and the anniversary. And I hope something gets turned on soon, because two months is far too long to wait.

Okay, I did it anyway.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I've got it bad!  :(  I received my "Getting Started with Your New Amazon Kindle" e-mail from Amazon this evening.  So now I see why most everyone is naming their Kindle.  Gotta come up with a good one.  I hope it comes tomorrow or I'll die . . . a little.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sandpiper said:
I've got it bad! :( I received my "Getting Started with Your New Amazon Kindle" e-mail from Amazon this evening. So now I see why most everyone is naming their Kindle. Gotta come up with a good one. I hope it comes tomorrow or I'll die . . . a little.
Keep us posted, will you, Sandpiper? I've said it before, I love the new arrival stories!

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Sandpiper we will be waiting to hear the "arrival story" and the name. I think the reason we all love the arrival stories as Leslie quoted is because we get to relive our experience through someone esle. It was one of the best days of my life... that's a bold statement but yes it was.

Linda

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
It WILL be here today.  Now I understand tracking info.  Shows my Kindle got to my local post office around 2:00 a.m. this morning.  It's almost here.  Bob, our mailman, delivers here around noon.  :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone here familiar with the movie "A Christmas Story"? Remember when the father's "major award" showed up and he did a dance singing the song, "It came! It came! Hot Damn, it came!"?

That's how I feel right now. It came! It's charging right now. So excited. Not going to get much work done today. Fortunately it's the weekend.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Oh, I love that movie and yes, I remember that scene! Or how about Ralphie when he really did get the BB gun? LOL

Congrats, Thom...and you do know you can use your Kindle while charging, right?

L

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well my wife and I bought one yesterday as our Christmas gift (getting a second at this time just isn't an option), luckily she doesn't read a whole lot and most of what she's reading I have in paperback until I do my next re-read to replace the old copies.  We paid for 1 day shipping, it got to the house about an hour ago ... and I'm at work  :'( .  She decided not to play with it before she leaves for work so I'll have something to look forward to when I got out tonight (and after the 90 minute drive home).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Congratulations, Andrew, and welcome!

Give us a full report after you get home, okay?

L

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
It JUST got here.  I haven't opened the box yet!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
oh, i got the cantwait-itis soooo bad!  I've been dying for a kindle for months and months, and then i got a $500 bonus at work on Monday for being here 5 years.  I ordered it Monday night (thanks Oprah, btw) and even though the estimated ship date was November 3rd, it shipped on Wednesday!  Yay!  I checked the tracking order and it's coming from Richmond, CA (about two hours from my house)!  Double-yay!!!  So the estimated delivery date is November 4, but I'm really hoping it's delivered today.  It could happen, right?  I'm checking the track order button about every couple hours, and cursing the poor tracking information provided by USPS.  C'mon!  Deliver my Kindle!  Drive faster!  ;D 

It's going to be slow torture getting it and then having to wait for it to charge for a couple hours before I can start to play with it.  I guess I'll have to like, actually read the manual *gasp* or sumthing while I wait.  :p

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Hazel, today or tomorrow maybe.  Yesterday mine was a couple hours away.  When I checked tracking this morning, it showed it got to my local post office around 2:00 a.m.

Chalmette / Marie Laveau / Sundog is powering up now.  I haven't decided on which of the three names.  Whatever it's name -- it's here!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts