Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this hasn't been posted before - the thought of searching "cataloging" kind of overwhelmed me.

Anyway, I currently have 1,676 Kindle books listed in my Content section at Amazon (yes my TBR 'pile' is ridiculous & yes I really should stop grabbing all those freebies). I didn't try to keep track until after I already had several hundred. In the past I have tried to: manually enter info into a spreadsheet-FAIL; begin to track them in Goodreads-FAIL; begin to track them in Airtable-FAIL; etc.

I would get so bogged down & never completed the project in any of these tools.

Does anyone know of any "quick" way to export one's book list from Kindle Content to something else that is more sortable & easier to search?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Yes, I'd like to know this, too.

When I got my first Kindle in 2008, I started keeping a list on index cards. I put the cards in an index card binder and sorted them by genre. It made it easy to find something to read.

Then, of course, I stopped.

I keep meaning to go through my content manager and delete books I know I'll never read again, but that has fallen by the wayside as well.

At least since I learned to put things into collections from the content manager, I've done some of that, but it's not enough.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Not exactly "easy", but if you have a Goodreads account, you can link it to your Amazon account (since Amazon owns Goodreads now), and then there's an option to view all your Amazon books and load them into your GR library: but as far as I can see you have to click on each one you want to add. :(

Once it's added, though, there are sorting and search options that are probably more useful than what you can do on the Amazon site.

PS: This is in the "Apps" tab when you go to your Goodreads profile settings:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is this what you are looking for: how to put your list of books on spreadsheet?

sorry but I don't know to insert pic of my spreadsheet (just an example)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kindle krazy said:
Is this what you are looking for: how to put your list of books on spreadsheet?

sorry but I don't know to insert pic of my spreadsheet (just an example)
Don't know if it's what I was looking for or not, without some frame of reference. ;D

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
CegAbq said:
Don't know if it's what I was looking for or not, without some frame of reference. ;D
I think a data base would work better than a spreadsheet if we're going to manually enter each book with each author and genre and maybe even rating or DNF.

A spreadsheet would probably work better if we could import the data from our content manager.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
kindle krazy said:
Someone posted the answer to this question on the other Amazon kindle discussion board and he saved me many many hours.
It's kinda convoluted but it works and I've been using it ever since.

If I knew how to post pic I'd give you example but when I insert image..then what? I don't know how to get my pic. I have google photos if anyone can help.
The image needs to be hosted somewhere on the web, and then you can just use this forum's IMG tags around the URL:

Code:
[IMG]http://example.com/your_image.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Even with 2 large purges I did a few years ago where I deleted 1000's of books on my account, I still have 3000+. I just say 3000+ now, even if I hit 4000.  :p

I have always had collections. Once we had cloud collections, things really got better on that. Because once I have them set up, and I have 45 of them, I just keep adding books one at a time. I have the usual genre/subgenre collections, but I have also more specific collections on what to read next. I have 3 levels of reading next. I move the books through the levels until they get to the right now list. It keeps things a bit more managable. Now of course I always add new books at times to the top tier collection if I want to read them right away, but I have unread books going back to 2008, so I need some sorting for the older ones.

I also back up everything to calibre where I use tags extensively. So I can use the cover browser there and pick a book if I want. I like the randomizer feature there.  ;D

Goodread, I use that a lot of course. Its where I vet all my books and usually where I go to read reviews. I have way more shelves on goodreads than collections on kindle. My accounts are not linked though as I had the account before amazon bought them. So I always have kept track on what I own there. Whats neat with goodreads, once the books are in it and you read your feed of friends of those you follow and they like something, I can see right away if I already own it. Then I can move it to the top level next reading collection.  8)

I think but I am not sure that there might be some export option on goodreads. once you have all books in there to get a spreadsheet. But I can't recall for sure. I know you can print it, but its a long list as it shows too much of each book on each page.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Looks like you can export from Goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/review/import , although the interface leaves something to be desired. When you click the "Export Library" button, it processes for awhile, then it creates a (not very obvious) link above that button, which if you click, will pop up a dialogue to download the resulting CSV file (which you can load directly into Excel).

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NogDog said:
Looks like you can export from Goodreads at https://www.goodreads.com/review/import , although the interface leaves something to be desired. When you click the "Export Library" button, it processes for awhile, then it creates a (not very obvious) link above that button, which if you click, will pop up a dialogue to download the resulting CSV file (which you can load directly into Excel).
Hmmm ... might have to try that.

kindle krazy sent me her image by email; I uploaded it to my Google photos, but now I'm having difficulties getting the forum to accept the Google Photos location. It is in a spreadsheet & perhaps is in a result similar to what Goodreads would do.

I'm guess that with close to 2K books, Goodreads might take a while to draw them all in before I could then export! But I might give that a try & see what happens.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
NogDog said:
I thought there was a place, but for the life of me I couldn't find my way there. How did you get to this link from within goodreads? So I find it again later. Not good at remembering web addresses. I looked under "mybooks" under settings. I am probably overlooking the link.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK - here is kindle krazy's photo (don't know how she created the spreadsheet though; maybe with me getting it posted, she can fill us in):

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Atunah said:
I thought there was a place, but for the life of me I couldn't find my way there. How did you get to this link from within goodreads? So I find it again later. Not good at remembering web addresses. I looked under "mybooks" under settings. I am probably overlooking the link.
I found it on the "My Books" page accessed from the top menu bar. On the bottom of the left column, there's an "Import and export" link.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
NogDog said:
I found it on the "My Books" page accessed from the top menu bar. On the bottom of the left column, there's an "Import and export" link.
Thank you, I see it now, underneath all my gazillion shelves. Under tools for those also looking. I would never have scrolled down that much. They sure kind of hide that option, don't they. Of course, i can't get it to get a proper file I can open in anything. I only have open office on my computer and the file comes out like gooblygook. I am sure there are some settings in open office I need to use, but its above my pay grade for today on that. :p

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes this is old discussion and I have been trying for years to get a list of books without too much copy & paste to get a great list.
I should have read & reread this discussion better as now my GoodReads can EXPORT a list of my book & I can open them in excel spreadsheet and delete all those columns I don't want.

My question today is how come ALL my books don't show up on that list?
Any help would be great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts