Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horror novel has been online since May 2011. It sold a handful every month until recently. It is up to 41 sales this month, which doesn't compare to those who casually talk about hundreds or thousands per month, but for me is amazing. I'm down to the 25,00 range in ranking. The only possible explanation for the boost is the upcoming movie that not only has the same title but is the same genre. But movies come and go, if this one fades into pop culture memory, as most movies do, I assume my sales will go down. I was afraid that there would be a lot of returns when people realized the book was not related to the movie, but there have been only a few.
What level do my sales have to get to for the book to soar on its own merits, not just take advantage of a coincidence? Is there anything I can do to do help it break out from the shadow of the movie?

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
R. M. Reed said:
My horror novel has been online since May 2011. It sold a handful every month until recently. It is up to 41 sales this month, which doesn't compare to those who casually talk about hundreds or thousands per month, but for me is amazing. I'm down to the 25,00 range in ranking. The only possible explanation for the boost is the upcoming movie that not only has the same title but is the same genre. But movies come and go, if this one fades into pop culture memory, as most movies do, I assume my sales will go down. I was afraid that there would be a lot of returns when people realized the book was not related to the movie, but there have been only a few.
What level do my sales have to get to for the book to soar on its own merits, not just take advantage of a coincidence? Is there anything I can do to do help it break out from the shadow of the movie?
Maybe consider ENT's bargain book promotion? If I'm recalling the criteria correctly, Mama's review average would qualify. It would mean putting the book on sale for $.99, though.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Enjoy the ride. Realize that "deserving" it is irrelevant to the equation. People can't buy a book they've never heard of. Don't worry about returns - be happy the sales are churning your book into the algorithms where it will be SEEN.

Breathe. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually raised the price a few weeks ago, from $2.99 to $3.99, on the advice of people here. So I don't want to mess with what is working.

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
R. M. Reed said:
I actually raised the price a few weeks ago, from $2.99 to $3.99, on the advice of people here. So I don't want to mess with what is working.
Hmm. Most paid promos involve putting it on sale. I suppose you could try for some targeted blog reviews, but getting one that said, "This isn't same story as So-and-So's movie!" might be counterproductive.

Well, you could make sure you're doing what you can to harvest new fans for your mailing list -- put a link on your "About the Author" page, put the URL (not live) in your Amazon author bio, make sure the mailing list is linked off your other social media sites. It's a small thing, but it is a way of building on your current success for the future.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Congrats on the sales boost! Definitely do what Becca suggested with your mailing list.

Did you see the Mama short film that's connected to the Guillermo del Toro movie coming out? It's extremely creepy for only being three minutes long.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My GOD, that was creepy. Who thinks of things like that. I'll stick to movies like "Finding Nemo" and "The Sound of Music", thank you very much - LOL.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's really excellent luck.  The evil side of me says you might even be able to send the film studio a letter complaining that they stole your title and demand some compensation... but that's probably not worth it.  :)

The other good news... while your sales may fall-off after the film's theatrical release is done with, there's always the DVD/Blu-Ray release... and then when it premiers on HBO or one of the pay movie channels. 

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think you could attribute all of the increase in sales to the recent release of MAMA movie trailers.  Just don't try and promote your book in a way that connects it to the movie.  There was a case on the KDP forums a few months ago with an author who had a ,navy seal Bin Laden, book that had been out for a couple years that had a very similar name to the book that just came out by the ex-seal.  Amazon yanked his book until he changed the title/cover.  He was excited for a few days when he was selling 500+ copies a day, then understandably got upset when everything halted with an email.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
R. M. Reed said:
How do you get a mailing list? I've never had any fan mail.
You create the mailing list someplace like Mailchimp.
http://mailchimp.com/

The hard part is getting your readers to sign up for it.

Then, whenever you release a new book, send out a message to your mailing list, letting them know you have a new book out and giving them a link to buy it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts