Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend is bringing home a cat on Saturday - and I'm wondering if I'm going to have to keep it away from my Kindles.  I just worry that somehow, the cat may end up scratching the screen. 

I'm not sure how.  Maybe the cat will stand on the "Next Page" button, and then notice that the letters keep changing, and then attack it light it's one of those jiggling red laser lights. :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I do close the cover on my kindle when I set it down, just in case. And one of my cats does have the tendency to explore gravity (pushing things off the table) though usually it's smaller things like pens. Oh, and, you probably don't want to hear this, but some cats puke...

In essence, put your kindle away in a safe place when you're not using it. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
My three very active cats have never hurt my electronic devices.  They do love rubbing their heads on the Oberon covers but have never tried to chew them. 

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
None of my cats pay any particular attention to any of my Kindles, other than maybe rubbing their cheeks across the case corners when I'm holding it.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Mine likes to "teeth" on all the corners of whatever I am holding at the time.  ;D

I think you'll have to worry about those claws being in a lot of places, but scratching the kindle will probably not be one of those.  :p

The main issue is trying to hold my kindle high enough so I can see the screen as it apparently takes attention away from what really matters, which is cat. Always cat.

And speaking of the furry master, here he is. And promptly blocking my view to the screen. *sigh.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Mine like to lay on stuff, but they don't do much else.  I think they do it because they know I'll have to acknowledge their existence and give them a power noogie.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My cat likes to headbutt mine while I'm reading. :)

I always put it in a drawer or in my purse when I'm done reading, due to the above-mentioned issues with gravity experiments and puke. I worry about that much more than scratching.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Atunah said:
Mine likes to "teeth" on all the corners of whatever I am holding at the time. ;D

I think you'll have to worry about those claws being in a lot of places, but scratching the kindle will probably not be one of those. :p

The main issue is trying to hold my kindle high enough so I can see the screen as it apparently takes attention away from what really matters, which is cat. Always cat.

And speaking of the furry master, here he is. And promptly blocking my view to the screen. *sigh.
Our cats may be related! Katniss likes to position herself between me and

= The TV
= Computer monitor
= Kindles
= Books
= Newspapers
= Magazines

When I first get in bed, she usually comes to me for some quality time.. so she is on top of my chest. And I've learned to just give that time to her, put aside the Kindle Fire.. at least for a certain amount of time. She would also like to gnaw on the corner of the case, only if I am holding it. Some nights I then read and then she returns for another snuggle session.

Cat first, indeed! After all, much as I love reading, she is warm and she purrs.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Atunah said:
Mine likes to "teeth" on all the corners of whatever I am holding at the time. ;D
If you mean rubbing the side of the mouth (rather than biting) then it's one of the places they have scent glands, it's marking its property.

Mine do that on the Kindle as well... when they can be bothered waking up!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Seamonkey said:
Cat first, indeed! After all, much as I love reading, she is warm and she purrs.
As a non-cat person, I hesitate to prolong this thread! However, I couldn't resist looking in the Kindle app store and, sure enough, there is an app called Purr Kitty (and Purr Kitty Plus). With the app you can pet your nice warm Kindle Fire and it will purr back at you. :D

From the description of features:

o Add your favorite cat to the Gallery of Cats using the camera or from your photo gallery
o 3 cats and 1 kitten in the Gallery of Cats
o Pet a purring cat, the more you pet the louder the purr
o With just a gentle touch the cat will meow

For the OP, Purr Kitty is very unlikely to scratch your Kindle screen. And you also run a much lower risk of getting hair in your mouth.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Steph H said:
None of my cats pay any particular attention to any of my Kindles, other than maybe rubbing their cheeks across the case corners when I'm holding it.
Same here. And then of course stands in front of it blocking my view :)

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Morf said:
If you mean rubbing the side of the mouth (rather than biting) then it's one of the places they have scent glands, it's marking its property.

Mine do that on the Kindle as well... when they can be bothered waking up!
He rubs too, but that is on everything, all the time. Rubbing, head butting. I think he is part goat. Especially fun in the morning when I wake up with kitty snot all over my face and whiskers poking into my nostrils. :D
But he likes to use his teeth on my stuff when I am not paying enough attention. Most of my covers have a few marks on the corners. ;D
I have to be careful when I am reading library paper books.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Yes of course Katniss is putting her scent on items but she also likes to "air-gnaw" at the corner, or grind her teeth, while applying the scent. This is only when I'm holding the kindle and attempting to use the screen in any way. I of course nudge her away from actually biting it, but she and my former cat, Critter, do "decorate" things at times.

Atunah said:
He rubs too, but that is on everything, all the time. Rubbing, head butting. I think he is part goat. Especially fun in the morning when I wake up with kitty snot all over my face and whiskers poking into my nostrils. :D
But he likes to use his teeth on my stuff when I am not paying enough attention. Most of my covers have a few marks on the corners. ;D

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Interesting.. the apps I have are FOR cats.. as in "Gizzy's Friend - a Cat Toy" which features a little mouse that moves around and off the screen display and if you press on it it stops and squeaks.. she is mildly interested, as are some shelter cats. And we have "Cat Pinball - a Cat Toy" .

GBear said:
As a non-cat person, I hesitate to prolong this thread! However, I couldn't resist looking in the Kindle app store and, sure enough, there is an app called Purr Kitty (and Purr Kitty Plus). With the app you can pet your nice warm Kindle Fire and it will purr back at you. :D

From the description of features:

o Add your favorite cat to the Gallery of Cats using the camera or from your photo gallery
o 3 cats and 1 kitten in the Gallery of Cats
o Pet a purring cat, the more you pet the louder the purr
o With just a gentle touch the cat will meow

For the OP, Purr Kitty is very unlikely to scratch your Kindle screen. And you also run a much lower risk of getting hair in your mouth.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Atunah said:
One of the most embarrassing pet events of my life was when I had to take a book on dog training back to the library with puppy tooth marks all over the cover.

Sorry, not cat-related, but I only have dogs these days. I agree with all other posters, a cat isn't going to damage a Kindle except by knocking it to the floor if it's not placed carefully.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts