Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started reading Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston yesterday.  The book pulled me right in and I didn't stop until I was about half way through it.

BUT.

The scene with the cat?  I think that is quite possibly the. most. traumatic. thing. i. have. EVER. read.

And I couldn't stop reading it, because I had to find out if the cat was going to be okay.  Also, a testament to the author's ability as a writer, my kidneys hurt the whole time I was reading.

Has anyone else read the other two books in the trilogy?  Are they as graphic?  I can handle violence, but reading this book, well, it's something else.  I'll finish it, but I don't know if I can put myself through that again.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I agree with you Veronica, there is an old thread on KB about this book and Bud. I too was traumatized by it, any animal lover would be. I enjoyed the book but too much foul language for me. I don't mind some but nor every other word. It was a freebie but I chose not to read the other two.

·
Registered
364 Posts
So I'm guessing the cat turned out okay???

I once was reading a book by a friend of mine and there was a dog in it.  I somehow got a bad feeling about the dog, so I put down the book and emailed her, asking if she was going to kill the dog.  She emailed back, "Would *I* kill a dog?!?!?!?"

I finished the book.  :)

Sharyn

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I loved Bud! I have only read the first two so far but I did enjoy them. Do what you want to all those people but leave Bud alone!

Melissa

·
Registered
124 Posts
The first half of the first book I wasn't sure I was going to be able to take all the drug and alcohol-fueled violence.  I got over it, and LOVED the entire trilogy.

Then again, I also loved The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx - so maybe you can't go by my taste!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Neekeebee said:
Would skipping the part about the cat detract from the novel? I'm not in the mood to read about animal torture today. But then, this trilogy is behind a couple of others on my TBR list. ;)

N :)
Bud is so much a part of the story, you can't skip it. I will read the other 2 books in the triology but it will be later.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the part with the cat is what makes you invested in the story.  And gives you a pretty good glimpse into the brutality of some of the characters.  As awful as it is, it's probably necessary to the book.  Besides, I didn't know it was the awful part until I was well into the scene, and then I had to KEEP reading to find out how the cat made out.

Yeah, for some reason, I can handle a (fictional) massacre when it involves people, but don't hurt the little animals!!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I got these three books when they first came out free.  Started the first one, and didn't get very far, just didn't care for it - too many others on my tbr list.  I have not deleted them, but they are way down on my list to read, there are too many other good books I enjoy to waste my time reading them - maybe some dark and stormy night when I can't sleep and want nightmares  :mad:

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Guess I was lucky. One of the reviews of this book mentioned it wasn't for cat lovers because of the cat torture scene. One of the literary devices I hate most in books is putting in a pet so that the bad guy can kill or hurt it because it proves just how really bad the bad guy is. So I never even downloaded these books.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow.  I'm glad I saw this thread.  I think I won't be reading this trilogy after all.  Definitely not my thing.  For some reason, I can handle people getting tortured in a book, but pets (and children) going through the same thing really bothers me.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Very difficult for me to read or watch animal cruelty. I cried about Bud. I would suggest not starting it if you think it isn't your cup of tea because once you start you have to finish. I have no desire to read the 2 remaining books even if they were free.

That is another thing I've learned on KB, just because it is free is not enough reason to buy it. I have more free books I haven't read than I have read.  Previously I would automatically click if it was *free* but I do more research now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, yeah.  I finished the first book.  I wasn't planning on reading the other two.  But darn that Charlie Huston!!!  I just HAVE to know how it all turns out, so I started on the second book.

My plan is to read them all as quickly as possible.  Like pulling off a band-aid.

:-\

1 - 14 of 14 Posts