Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't believe being a celebrity gives someone's book recommendations more weight, but I've taken lots of book recommendations from people I don't know, so why should I let someone's fame disqualify them? ;D

I knew Tom Hanks had a MySpace page, heard him talk about it. I was doing some searches because of Angels & Demons and stumbled on it. It had his reading lists from the last two summers, and I thought there were some interesting sounding books on it, so I thought I'd post it here. I haven't checked yet to see which are available for Kindle, I'll add those links as I find them.

Any other celebrity book recommendations you'd like to share?

Betsy

Tom Hanks reading list on Kindle (his comments for each book are at the end)

Reading List Books not yet Kindled:

Tom Hanks on these books as posted on his MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/tomhanks
2008:
A WORLD LIT ONLY BY FIRE (not Kindled)-- By Wm. Manchester. My second read of this window on life in the Dark Ages. Do you think you know the story of Galileo, Thomas More, and Megellan? Maybe you do, maybe you don't. Read this book and see how electricity and pencils haven't made all that much difference in human behavior.

HORSEMAN, PASS BY (not Kindled)--By Larry McMurtry. "L McC" wrote this long ago, but that doesn't mean it won't make you howlin' sad. Calling another of his books 'vintage McMurtry' doesn't do justice to the work or the artist.

QUENTINS by Maeve Binchy. Want to go to Ireland and fall in love with an Irish girl? Can't afford the airfare? Read Binchy!

ENDURANCE: SHACKLETON'S INCREDIBLE VOYAGE - by Alfred Lansing. Okay, you may think the language will be an obstacle -- it's not. You may think the story is boring (trapped in the ice? Yawn.) -- it's not. You may have seen the TV movie -- so what. You. Will. Be. Fascinated. And. Will not. Believe. Human beings. Could. Survive this. But they did, every single man. (Kindled, but image from paperback)

NORTH RIVER -- by Pete Hamill. The most lucky I have been in the last year was a rainy weekend in the mountains. There was only me, my dog, and NORTH RIVER. Travel in time to the 1930's and meet people who would shine in any decade. Immediately ordered all Hamill's works from my neighborhood bookstore.

MARJORIE MORNINGSTAR (Not Kindled)-- by Herman Wouk. Old-school pot-boiler of that Morgentstern girl growing up in NYC in 1936. Not finished yet so neither is this revi....

2007 Reading List:
THE YELLOW-LIGHTED BOOKSHOP (not Kindled) by Lewis Buzbee. A sweet memoir of selling books, reading books, stacking books and simply loving books in some of the greatest -- and lost -- bookstores of Northern California.

THE CULT OF THE AMATEUR by Andrew Keen, a smart writer who would see the irony of my mentioning his book on a MySpace Webpage.

THE LAY OF THE LAND by Richard Ford. A hilarious fictional exposes of selling real estate in Jersey. I'll be looking for all the others in Ford's series.

THE TOURISTS by Jeff Hobbs, a anthropological study of New Yorkers who graduated from Yale and have yet to recover. I read this one like lightning.

THE RUM DIARY (not Kindled) by Hunter S. Thompson. Makes you want to toss everything and head to Puerto Rico, write for a newspaper, drink nothing but rum, and live like Thompson. It makes such a life look glamorous and fun. So authentic and effective, I felt hung over and needed a long nap when I finished.

THE DIANA CHRONICLES by Tina Brown. A very fair book, I thought. Read it as a companion piece to "The Queen", with Helen Mirren and Directed by Stephen Frears.

WHITETHORN WOODS by Maeve Binchy. I am a sucker for Maeve's books. All of them. And this book is told in a long chain of individual, linking stories. The woman amazes me.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've read "The Rum Diaries" and I remember it being a great early work by Dr. Thompson. It gave some insight into the type of author he would one day become but you still had a feeling of of a younger man's passion and insight viewing the world, rather than the more jaded and cynical perspective of his more 'Gonzo' works.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Interesting that he likes Maeve Binchy works.  I have read just one of them.  It was about 10 years ago while I had a bad cold and didn't do much over a weekend except read.  I was very drawn into it, but it made me feel so sad for the wife/mother who was left for a young single woman.  I don't remember the title and I borrowed it from the library.

I usually read the celebrity book recommendations in Oprah magazine.  Not the books but the pages in the magazine.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Larry King never seems to know elementary facts about his guests, and half his questions start with, "What do you make of...?"

Still, I might buy the book. ;D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I remember reading Marjorie Morningstar about a million years ago. I was in high school. I got on a Herman Wouk kick and read all of his books, one after another.

L

·
Registered
195 Posts
Jaasy said:
Larry King was on the Today Show and his book sounds interesting...

Does he ask the reader a series of uncomfortable questions, not because they are hard hitting but because they are awkward and horrible?

"So Elton John, when are you finally going to find a nice lady to settle down with and have kids."
"Stephen Hawking, are you much of a runner?"

urrrghhh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
mlewis78 said:
Interesting that he likes Maeve Binchy works. I have read just one of them. It was about 10 years ago while I had a bad cold and didn't do much over a weekend except read. I was very drawn into it, but it made me feel so sad for the wife/mother who was left for a young single woman. I don't remember the title and I borrowed it from the library.
Maybe this one? I enjoy her writing, but pretty much love any of the Aga sagas.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
hackeynut said:
Does he ask the reader a series of uncomfortable questions, not because they are hard hitting but because they are awkward and horrible?

"So Elton John, when are you finally going to find a nice lady to settle down with and have kids."
"Stephen Hawking, are you much of a runner?"

urrrghhh.
When he was on The View, they talked about him not having any "prepared" questions, he interviews 'off his cuff' so to speak! That's probably why the questions seems so off...

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
louiseb said:
I'm going to give North River a shot
That did sound good, didn't it? I want the Yellow Light Bookshop on Kindle!

Betsy

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
sixnsolid said:
Maybe this one? I enjoy her writing, but pretty much love any of the Aga sagas.
Yes, Tara Road is the one I read.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Stephen King had a Best Of 2008 book list published in EW

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20162677_20164091_20244426,00.html

10. The Good Guy by Dean Koontz
9. Old Flames by Jack Ketchum (Not on Kindle)
8. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
7. Hollywood Crows by Joseph Wambaugh
6. Heartsick/Sweetheart by Chelsea Cain (two books)
5. Nixonland by Rick Perlstein
4. The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney (Not on Kindle)
3. When Will There Be Good News? by Kate Atkinson
2. The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus III
1. The novels of Robert Goddard

I discovered Goddard, a British mystery/suspense novelist, last year, almost by accident. In Pale Battalions, his second novel, was the first book I read on my new Kindle. Since then I've read eight more and have about seven to go. I'll parcel them out, because they're too good to gulp. There are missing heirs, stolen fortunes, mistaken identities, raffish con men, hot sex, and cold-blooded murder. These books have more twists than a box of macaroni, all rendered in Goddard's clear-eyed prose. You discover a guy who's doing work on such a high level, and the disturbing question occurs: Who else have I missed that's this good?
I actually purchased Into The Blue after reading this list but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sporadic,

congratulations on your first post, and thanks for the Stephen King list.  We know he's a Kindler!  I'm going to check some of these books out!  When you get a chance, go on over to Introductions and post a little about yourself!

Betsy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts