Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you might like to see some of the products I saw today at the CES unveiling. (Note: The following is from Zunerama, so the wording is Zune-centric.) - Harvey

Not much earth-shattering to report from the pre-CES 'Unveiling' today. Here though are a few items that captured my eye:

Let's start with a simple item: This earbud yoyo is a handy and inventive way to avoid cord tangling. I hope to get some free samples tomorrow that I can photograph better, and have as giveaways for Zunerama members. The lady who invented it was there and we had a nice chat about her start-up venture. Good for her.

Wireless charging seems to be a big thing at this year's CES. The technology to enable you to recharge your device without plugging it in is improving. The product above, PowerMat, is a good example of where this technology is today. It uses inductive charging to recharge your device's batteries.

It's a two-part system - the power mat itself, and then your device has to be connected to a receiver. It can be connected through a cradle, through a dongle, or - the best option in my opinion - through a special case. Here's a look at a receiver case, for a BlackBerry Bold:

...and here's a shot of a cradle receiver (holding the nano), and a dongle.

This product will not be available until Fall 2009, so this is a preview. Receivers will be made for a wide variety of devices, most likely including Zune. It's not the greatest in terms of convenience, but I'm excited to see advances in the area of wireless charging of our electronic devices.

There was a good variety of earbuds and headphones at the unveiling, including these high-end, fine-sounding noise-isolating earbuds from Shure.

Zagg, the people who brought you the well-regarded InvisibleShield for Zune, iPod, iPhone, etc, have come up with a nice headphone called Zaggphone.

I have specs on it that I'll report once I assemble my notes after the show. They're comfortable, if a bit heavy, and seem like they would please most audiophiles.

I'll be paying them a visit again on Thursday when the show officially opens because I left my darn Zune 16GB at their booth.

Zagg also announced its Zbuds. These are designed for iPod (they have an integrated microphone), but they are coming out with a mic-less version which would be suitable for Zune and other MP3 players. I am really going to try to score some of these for review, and perhaps giveaways. They won a CES design award this year.

The last item I'll post for tonight is another power management product. This one is a portable recharger that gives a boost to a variety of devices from a single source. From a company called Adrenaline, they have a wide variety of interchangeable tips. This is actually something I would consider buying. A Zune-compatible tip is available.

CES actually kicks off on Thursday, so will be reporting more then if not before.

- Harvey

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Harvey,
Thank you so much for all the great information.  This is very intriguing. 
Have a great tip.
deb

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi Harvey!  I bought my Zune 120 in October and have been reading your blog ever since.  When I joined Kindleboards a few weeks ago, I saw that you were "that" Harvey from Zunerama!  I love my Zune, btw!  Just had to say hi.  Have fun at CES -- I'm a gadget nut and CES seems like hog heaven!

Megan

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Betsy the Quilter said:
Harvey, that last product, from Adrenaline, will they have a Kindle tip? That was intriguing...

Betsy
Yes, they have a Kindle-compatible tip - fortunately Amazon used a standard AC connector for its power supply, so it's likely to be well-supported in that area.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MeganW said:
Hi Harvey! I bought my Zune 120 in October and have been reading your blog ever since. When I joined Kindleboards a few weeks ago, I saw that you were "that" Harvey from Zunerama! I love my Zune, btw! Just had to say hi. Have fun at CES -- I'm a gadget nut and CES seems like hog heaven!

Megan
Hi Megan - that is great! I'm glad to hear about your good Zune experience - and that is cool that you have found both KindleBoards and Zunerama!!

CES is very fun, you would love it. I'll be at Steve Ballmer's keynote tonight - I'm curious what he has to say about Windows 7, which will replace Vista.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Harvey said:
CES is very fun, you would love it. I'll be at Steve Ballmer's keynote tonight - I'm curious what he has to say about Windows 7, which will replace Vista.
Me too, Harvey, I expect a complete report. :)

Seriously, the couple of reviews I've seen are cautiously positive. I have stuck with XP but have an urge to move up. Wasn't ever completely convinced moving to Vista was moving up. :)

Ann

·
Registered
544 Posts
Harvey said:
Hi Megan - that is great! I'm glad to hear about your good Zune experience - and that is cool that you have found both KindleBoards and Zunerama!!

Hi! I do love my Zune. And I'm so thrilled that I found both Kindleboards and Zunerama -- of course, now that I'm over here, I seem to be getting less & less actual work done...

I'd love to try to go to CES next year. And you'll have to keep us posted on Windows 7. I was listening to the TWiT podcast yesterday and they had a lot of great things to say about it, especially in comparison to Vista (which I've used for several months now and really like, but I understand why they're rewriting the entire OS).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Love me some gadgets!!

Couple of things ;D

Could you either post or pm me the name of the yo-yo cord company? I need a better cord management solution.

Did you have a chance to listen to the z-buds? I saw those on their website and liked the way the cords wrapped around the neck. Though if I asked to replace my new Bose buds my dh would give me 'the look'. ::)

Harvey said:
I'll be at Steve Ballmer's keynote tonight - I'm curious what he has to say about Windows 7, which will replace Vista.
I'd be curious what he says too. Around here Vista is a description -- as in, "I've been Vista'd again" :eek: And its not a positive thing.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DawnOfChaos said:
Could you either post or pm me the name of the yo-yo cord company? I need a better cord management solution.

Did you have a chance to listen to the z-buds? I saw those on their website and liked the way the cords wrapped around the neck. Though if I asked to replace my new Bose buds my dh would give me 'the look'. ::)
Yes, I'm on the run at the moment but I'll post that company name and website.

I couldn't give a good listen to the Z-buds - they had some there but not for people to put in their ears. :) I'm going to see if I can get a review unit tomorrow, though.

I did ask them about the award they received, and they said that the award was for design, not specifically for audio quality... but that they also tout the audio quality of them!

·
Registered
378 Posts
DawnOfChaos said:
Love me some gadgets!!

Couple of things ;D

I'd be curious what he says too. Around here Vista is a description -- as in, "I've been Vista'd again" :eek: And its not a positive thing.
I have ***gasp*** Sony earphone that have a retractable cord.-- http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665157967 --I got them at Target for the same price as the website. Though they're not earbuds I love them. It's so nice to be able to out my headphones in my pocket or purse and not have them comeout tangles. Because at times they can seem too clunky for pockets (depending on how tight the jeans I'm wearing are) I've been known to hang them from the collar of my shirt. If I'm only taking them off for few minutes the cord across the neck is ideal because they can just hang around my neck. Check them out.. they could be worthy or a try. If not maybe they can at least hold you until the yo-yo comes out.

Rla1996

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Sounds like you're enjoying yourself (minus you forgetting your zune at a booth) I'm so jealous!!! CES! How's vegas for ya harvery?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
CES is only the largest gathering for companies to debut their latest and greatest electronics created for the masses. lol. Next year, nebulinda...you and I shall plot our way in. (okay I think i had enough coffee lol)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Vegas_Asian said:
CES is only the largest gathering for companies to debut their latest and greatest electronics created for the masses. lol. Next year, nebulinda...you and I shall plot our way in. (okay I think i had enough coffee lol)
oohh ooh me too. Me too! I would love to test all the toys. ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
the question begs: can anybody get in? or do you have to be somebody?

Just wonderin'

Ann

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I was told you have to have an invite or something, but they may be the family trying to keep me from what money I have left...which I would spend to go.

I

·
0 Posts
Harvey said:

REPLACE VISTA! It's not even been out a year yet has it? Is it so messed up it's easier to come up with a whole new OS than to fix it? I guess I better start reading up on Win 7

1 - 20 of 29 Posts