Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to do the majority of my writing on the sofa using my laptop, and sometimes while sitting in bed. I even bought a little stand that I can sit my laptop on while I work. The problem is that after around twenty minutes my back hurts and I have to stop. I have a desktop computer and a chair, but it's a cheap office chair and I can't work from there for extended periods of time either.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of getting a gaming chair with a high back. Has anyone done that before? Do you think it would work to ease my back pain?

·
Banned
2,208 Posts
I suggest the YMCA videos, which will get rid of your back problems forever (as long as you keep exercising your back!). I bought the VHS tapes many years ago and, once I'd gotten the hang of the "expert" version, I made an audio tape so I could do them anywhere. In time I found that if I joined a gym and was faithful with belly crunches, planks, and back extensions, I would have no more problems. So I gave up the YMCA exercises but not my faith in them. When the DVD version came out, I bought several and gave them to friends who swore they needed surgery for a bad back. To a man (I think one was a woman, but it seems to be a guy's problem mostly because we're stupid about lifting stuff) they preferred surgery to an exercise regimen. (And most of them still have back problems!)

For immediate relief, lie on a flat surface and bring your knees up to your chin. Hold them there with your arms wrapped around your shins for fifteen minutes.

For desk seating, there's nothing better than an exercise ball. There actually are ball chairs, but if you have or can fashion a low desk, the ball alone is even better, costs a fraction as much, and doesn't look as weird.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Clay said:
I used to do the majority of my writing on the sofa using my laptop, and sometimes while sitting in bed. I even bought a little stand that I can sit my laptop on while I work. The problem is that after around twenty minutes my back hurts and I have to stop. I have a desktop computer and a chair, but it's a cheap office chair and I can't work from there for extended periods of time either.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of getting a gaming chair with a high back. Has anyone done that before? Do you think it would work to ease my back pain?
An ergonomic kneeling chair. They really are great for relieving/not-instigating back pain. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/b-QAAOSwm8Zd2ya3/s-l300.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
Have you considered consulting a physiotherapist? If that's not possible, I second NotJohn's advice to seek out an exercise regime that works for you. Even a simple stretching routine should help to improve posture and muscle tone.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Those big, black, "regular" office chairs are murder on your lower back if you're doing computer work. They pull you into a reclining position that you spend all day fighting against. A task chair does the opposite and helps you sit up straight. A bonus: they're usually cheaper, too. Can't speak to the ergonomic options mentioned upthread because I haven't tried em, but I always recommend a task chair.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
A good ergonomic chair will start around $500. My hubs has the classic Hermon Miller Aeron. He loves it. I'm not a huge fan. I have a Steelcase memory foam chair. I like it a lot, but I still spend most of my time standing.

IME the key to a good ergonomic setup is adjust-ability. You want to be able to move your keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc very easily. You also want to vary your position (a sit to stand desk can be great for this, but so is getting up to walk up and down the hallway once an hour), take regular breaks, and do regular stretches. Talk to a physical therapist sooner rather than later. It's tough right now, but lots of PTs are doing virtual sessions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Buy a medium-size 15 dollar pilates ball and use that as a chair 25% of you total sitting time.
Use it free-rolling, not in a bracket.
https://www.amazon.com/BalanceFrom-Anti-Burst-Resistant-Exercise-000-Pound/dp/B07RY536G1/?th=1

Mistakes: do not use it with little air because that gives no effekt

BAD - NOT ENOUGH AIR ::) You want to sit high enough on ball so you are a little unbalance, and your abdomen/back needs to micro-adjust.

GOOD - nice air amount and ball size Good position on inflated ball makes legs extend and straighten back and abdomen

Let it roll freely NOT in a bracket or chair holder because then ball can not move and all effect goes away
BAD

BAD

·
Registered
61 Posts
For the times when you're not writing (except dictating), I recommend a rocking chair.

I am suffering from horrific lower back pain at the moment (happens about every six months for me, I put the current bout down to my regular yoga studio having been closed the past 2 months...).  At the moment the only comfortable positions for me are lying on a firm bed with legs raised with pillows, or sitting in the rocking chair. If sit in a regular chair for even a few minutes I am unable to walk without a stick and a lot of complaining! But a few minutes in the rocking chair and I'm okay to walk around the house again.

I believe President Kennedy used a rocking chair to alleviate his back pain, too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm happy with my Herman Miller Aeron chair. They're prohibitively expensive, so I stalked the listings on Craigslist until I found a used one for a hundred bucks.

It also helps to get up and move several times per day. Touch your toes, do some squats, etc.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
You can usually find used ergonomic chairs at a steep discount, especially from closeout office supply stores. My six year old chair has almost no signs of wear (just stuff I've spilled on it). These chairs are made to last 10-20 years of 40 hour/week use. So you can often get a good deal on a chair that still has ten years of life in it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a regular padded desk chair and just put pillows under my back and arms and have a crate propping up my feet.

Wonder` said:
I'm happy with my Herman Miller Aeron chair. They're prohibitively expensive, so I stalked the listings on Craigslist until I found a used one for a hundred bucks.

It also helps to get up and move several times per day. Touch your toes, do some squats, etc.
Like Wonder said, taking breaks also helps a lot.

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
I too have a small footstool under my desk, for my feet (not too high, only about 8 inches).  I don't know that it helps the back, but I think it helps with circulation in the legs.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Use a small pillow behind your lower back in a regular chair. Try different chairs around the house, kitchen style, lightly padded side chairs, spindle-back bent wood chairs, etc to find what works the best. Try with and without the pillow.

Lay on the floor on your back, bend your knees so your feet are flat on the floor and raise your hips (supported by your shoulders and feet on the floor) for a dozen or two repetitions a day to strengthen those lower back muscles. After a few days the lower back problems are often cured .. until the muscles weaken again so you need to keep up on some schedule that works.

Standing desk by putting a box on top of a regular desk. Experiment with cardboard shipping boxes for different heights and when you find something close you can either keep using that or measure and find a wood box, upside down deep drawer, or a crate to replace it.

Walking desk: convert a treadmill (look for a used one or freebie on Craigslist if you don't have one) into a walking desk. Strap a board on and put a keyboard and mouse on that, your computer with a larger tv/monitor with it on a cabinet in front of the treadmill placed to see easily, with big fonts/zoomed in. Putting an expensive laptop on a wobbly treadmill can lead to potential disaster. ... this works, I walked seventy miles uphill to write a trilogy ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I built a variation of this to try out standing at my desk: https://alphacolin.com/ikea-standing-desk-for-22-dollars/

A variation, because the mentioned parts weren't all exactly available, but alternatives worked fine. The idea is simple, so it's easy to figure out.

I now do all my writing standing up. It really helps with the back, although the first days (week) I had problems with my feet, which weren't used to standing all the time. But that clears up.

I thought I might trade up to a 'better' standing desk if it worked, but I've discovered I don't need to. It's great, and highly recommended! And for that price, trying it out shouldn't be a problem. If it doesn't work, you just have an extra small table to put somewhere in your house. Noone will notice the screw holes in the legs... ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, good people
I’m a 35-year-old man that has been having a lot of back pains due to prolonged sessions of sitting when gaming as well as when working. I work sometimes for like 8-10 hours a day followed by WoW sessions and it’s literally me sitting on a chair and you do that for years and years and your lower back starts to ache
(the younglings will understand when they’re reaching 40)
So I wanted to ask anyone who’s in a similar situation what they’ve done. Any good chair recommendations or do gaming chairs help in this regard? I’m willing to spend up to 300 dollars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts