Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assuming that the chance of getting a Kindle stolen is probably as much as any electronic device, but I'm thinking that since it's a bit more rarer to find than other normal electronic devices - that it might slightly increase the rate of getting it stolen. It's probably nothing to really worry over, but I'm just concerned that if I bring it somewhere, and people have never seen it before, they'll pretend to be friendly and ask questions all about it. Then, BAM! They swipe it away from you and take off. I'm probably just being paranoid, but has anyone ever gotten their Kindle stolen?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I've seen a lot of stories of laying a Kindle down and having it stolen.  Like someone turning to pay for something and leaving it on the counter then having someone snag it from behind and take off.  I think you just need to be careful about it just like anything else.  Be careful who you let hold it, where you lay it down, where you take it, where you store it.  Heck, even the most well meaning person you let see your Kindle could fumble and drop it, so you're taking a chance either way.  One advantage I think of having a cover like an Oberon or something similar is people just assume it's a book or a journal by glancing at it.

I think there was a story from someone on these boards a while back where the guy had left his Kindle in an Oberon cover in the restaurant of a hotel and had it returned.  The person who found it called it a folder or something and obviously didn't have any idea it was worth $400.  Not saying they would have kept it if they did, but I think enough people don't even know what a Kindle is to be interested in it.  This is also a double-edged sword, though.  People who don't know what it is and see electronics will just assume they want it and snag it even if they'd never be interested.  In the long run though no matter how you cut it, it's worth money to a prospective thief.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That actually might push me to get a cover. I was originally just going to a BB sleeve, but I wonder if it'll look to much like a purse/bag. Either way, I run the risk. I'm going to have to be careful. I tend to leave my stuff lying around a lot, especially, if I'm at work, and need to go use the bathroom or something.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm a major gadget geek and I've never had a problem with anyone stealing my gear, probably because I don't make it obvious that I'm carrying anything (laptop goes in a laptop bag that doesn't look like a laptop bag, iPhone is in a generic looking case and in my pocket when not in use, I don't use white iPod earbuds, Kindle will be in its Oberon cover when I'm out and about, etc..). As long as you're mindful about the stuff you're carrying and who you show it to, you'll be fine.

Also doubt there will be any more desire to steal a Kindle than any other electronic device. Probably less so, in my opinion. Still, I wouldn't take mine anywhere without a cover, not only to make it less obvious but also to protect it.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Annie said:
That actually might push me to get a cover. I was originally just going to a BB sleeve, but I wonder if it'll look to much like a purse/bag. Either way, I run the risk. I'm going to have to be careful. I tend to leave my stuff lying around a lot, especially, if I'm at work, and need to go use the bathroom or something.
I would recommend getting a cover. I travel on the subway and when I read it there I do not fold back my cover. It looks like I am reading a book.I rather be safe then sorry. I would be careful leaving it out at work. It is not the people you work with it may be someone who comes in to deliver something.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Skins help too, I have one on my kindle2. I met someone with a K2, and they weren't sure that is what mine was because they had never seen a skin.  Overall, this topic is one reason I would like a password screen lock.  I have one on my Sony, which is optional, and I feel more secure because someone who gets ahold of it, who doesn't know what it is, which most people won't, will realize what ever it is~it isn't useful to them.  I have my phone # and reward on the back and on the screensaver. I haven't lost it yet, but I feel better taking it out. I think any Kindles that have been stolen are taken in moments of opportunity. People aren't stalking Kindles.  JMO.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you, Red. I don't think anyone would be "stalking Kindles" as you say. They just see this awesome gadget, and think they'll make money off of it. I really don't like the Amazon's cover, which is why I opted out. I'll probably get a case for it eventually, but I'll probably just leave it at home for now. I only read at work at lunch anyhow. But, it makes the time go by faster, and I would hate to waste precious time, sitting there when I could of been reading. I'll just put it away in my bag after I'm done. No one will know. I was definitely planning on getting a skin, so this is all the more reason to get one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts