Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that you can change certain things about your novel such as the book cover and the price.  I suspect it would okay to change the novel description too.  However, what would happen if you wanted to actually change the novel.

Perhaps you decided you wanted to increase the length of the novel or clarify a segment?

Would that be something that Amazon would allow or is the novel locked in stone once it is published?

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
Just go to DTP and upload a new file. Your book stays on sale, reviews stay in place, Also Boughts stay. Quick and easy. Be sure to check the little box that says you have all the rights.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
The novel is not set in stone, but like Terrence said, your previous reviews stay in place, so if you're changing the novel in response to a review (correcting typos, grammar, or even changing a plot point), the original review (along with its criticism) will remain.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
It's easy to do and I have evern considered doing it myself.  Heck, if you do it, make a big deal about it and convince people it is a NEW EDITION. Maybe you'll get some repeat buyers!

7,412 Posts
If it is fixing errors, clarifying a scene, etc, just upload it and move on. Figure new readers will pick up the new stuff, and if the changes are -drastic- as well contradictory to a review (say someone said Scene A had the wrong character name for Bob, instead of Joe) then just thank them in the comments of a review and say you've fixed it, and are glad they brought it to your attention so you could fix it. But again, if there's not even something specific in the review, don't worry about it. I had Weight of Blood re-edited repeatedly, as well as added a scene to help clarify a character's motivation, and I'm not worried about earlier reviews grumbling about either. Samples and whatnot speak for themselves, and when readers finish, they'll just think those reviewers were on something, or being picky  :D

·
Registered
982 Posts
Half-Orc said:
If it is fixing errors, clarifying a scene, etc, just upload it and move on. Figure new readers will pick up the new stuff, and if the changes are -drastic- as well contradictory to a review (say someone said Scene A had the wrong character name for Bob, instead of Joe) then just thank them in the comments of a review and say you've fixed it, and are glad they brought it to your attention so you could fix it. But again, if there's not even something specific in the review, don't worry about it. I had Weight of Blood re-edited repeatedly, as well as added a scene to help clarify a character's motivation, and I'm not worried about earlier reviews grumbling about either. Samples and whatnot speak for themselves, and when readers finish, they'll just think those reviewers were on something, or being picky :D
Aren't those reviewers on something? Every writer knows they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, after all. ;D

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
You could violate copyright laws.  After all, you copyrighted one version, then switched.  And your characters could bring suit against you for defamation (of character, of course), for instance, if you had a sympathetic character suddenly, and for no reason, go rogue and hit somebody with a pie or eat his son's goldfish right in front of him.  I'd tread carefully if I was you.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a couple of novels that are shorter than I would like.  So I was thinking I might add some more scenes to make it longer by fleshing it out .  That would improve the novel and make it more enjoyable to read.  Also I could raise the price since it would be longer. 

Of course, you are probably thinking I should have done that before I published it.  But I doubt that I would ever think a novel is completely finished. 

It is sort of like Philip Jose Farmer.  I doubt he ever finished a novel, but just ran out of steam.  He could have easily added on to all of them. 

If an author added on, couldn't the person that originally purchased the novel delete the book, and then it would go into his archive.  Then he could upload the book from his archive again free.  However, I don't know for sure if he would be the book before or after changes.  I was assuming he would get the novel after changes.

Of course, suppose someone was wanting to read a lot of racy sex scenes that the author originally had and meanwhile the author had gotten saved and had gone back and deleted all the sex and replaced them with Christian messages.  Maybe the purchaser wouldn't be too pleased.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I know I want to change one of my novels when I get a chance - was never happy with the ending and want to improve on it.  That and do a re-edit for any problems that slipped through the first dozen edits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.