Kindle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first book I wrote was a textbook for Wiley. It is listed on Amazon and sells reasonably well for a textbook.

I decided not to use my real name to write in different genres that have nothing to do with my textbook.

So I decided to use a pen name for the fiction books because I thought if instructors and students saw I wrote unrelated fiction that it would hurt my textbook sales.

I write in sci fi mostly but have written a books in what I call the Nickolas Sparks genre and even book for children. Each have a different pen name.

I just finished a memoir that is doing well under my real name.

So I have had a couple of editors suggest that I put all my books under my real name and stop using the pen names. They reasoning was that it would only widen my exposure. I don't know if that is true or not.

Have any of you tried switching to your real name after using a pen name? If you have do you have any suggestions or experiences you can share. 

·
Registered
Just finished Screamcatcher: Sasquatch Most Monstrous, fourth in series. Agent has it.
800 Posts
I'm considering switching to my real name but that would really stress-out my trad publishers because they would have to be the one's who make the changes. Sometimes I think my pen name has been a complete disaster and caused a terrible slump in sales. I can compare the two, and see quite clearly that my 15-year-old real author name has out-performed my pen name. My pen name is only a year old, but it has tons and tons of ink, more so than all my other books combined. Even my paid marketing ads do poorly with the pen name. Clearly I'm doing, or have done something wrong. My advice is to keep your one real author name. Even betwen non-fic and fic. With a kilogram of salt, of course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts