Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok- so the top reviews for my book on Amazon are a 3star, and a 2star. They're the first reviews you see when you scroll down. And that sucks a bit. Anything I can do to shake that up and have maybe one of the 4 or 5 star reviews pop up first?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
VMJaskiernia said:
Ok- so the top reviews for my book on Amazon are a 3star, and a 2star. They're the first reviews you see when you scroll down. And that sucks a bit. Anything I can do to shake that up and have maybe one of the 4 or 5 star reviews pop up first?
There's nothing you can do. Each person will see what they have it set for - Top Reviews or Most Recent.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Nope. My permafree has 557 reviews at 4.3 average. Guess what shows up first?

A three star...

Annoying, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'll up the ante. 1 star with one of mine at the top :(

But the book was 4.2 with 21 reviews. I had a $0.99 sales promotion in August and still sold 125 books. Readers are smart and they look at everything. Some don't pay any attention to the reviews.

You can't do anything about placement, which is really annoying being that readers are drawn to low stars. The more eyeballs on the reviews, the higher it goes up on the charts for your review page. Hopefully, what's said with the low starred review is positive. I've had some 2 or 3 star reviews which are actually better from a marketing standpoint than some 5 stars (edit: I think the new preference towards submitting ratings can foul this up a bit).

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think it's number of Helpful votes, and also such things as whether they're a 'Top Reviewer' or 'Vine Voice' and other such stuff.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Gareth K Pengelly said:
I think it's number of Helpful votes, and also such things as whether they're a 'Top Reviewer' or 'Vine Voice' and other such stuff.
Yeah, I think helpful votes move it up.

As far as the lowest rated, I find the lowest also shows up first on critical reviews towards the top right, which is then clicked more often, and then viewed more.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
Nothing to be done unfortunately, unless you mobilise an army of fans to upvote a review you like better (edit: which is not advised). The top two reviews of my best selling book are one stars (ouch!) but it has a lot of nicer reviews and a decent average, so I take it on trust that most people will read the good reviews as well and make a decision based on the good and the bad.

·
Registered
222 Posts
VMJaskiernia said:
Yeah, Amazon's system is jacked up. The most "helpful" review is at top unless you rerank them manually (meaning a browsing customer, not the author). You can have 90% positive reviews, but they'll all have 0-2 "helpful" marks. Usually your most negative reviews get more "helpful" marks because people don't want to bother writing out a negative review. And since it's already ranked at the top, that's the one the naysayers will click the most, further pushing it to the top, even if most people liked the book, because all the other "helpfuls" are spread out over 50 reviews and your two negatives moved to the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts