Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start including chapbooks with extra content on character backgrounds, stuff that would not appear in the main story, but might be interesting to a reader.  I haven't decided what my marketing thrust will be, except that I think I would like to be independent of Amazon.  Perhaps just appearing in their store with an account, but not in the Kindle zone.  (But, nothing is ground in granite.) 

How would you offer up a chapbook?  Would you include it at the end of an eBook, and mention up front that it is there extra?  Would you offer it as a hard copy they could send for?  Would you email it separately?  Would you ask them if they even wanted to receive it?

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,606 Posts
RedAlert said:
I am going to start including chapbooks with extra content on character backgrounds, stuff that would not appear in the main story, but might be interesting to a reader. I haven't decided what my marketing thrust will be, except that I think I would like to be independent of Amazon. Perhaps just appearing in their store with an account, but not in the Kindle zone. (But, nothing is ground in granite.)

How would you offer up a chapbook? Would you include it at the end of an eBook, and mention up front that it is there extra? Would you offer it as a hard copy they could send for? Would you email it separately? Would you ask them if they even wanted to receive it?

Thanks in advance!
Are you saying that you want to sign up for an account but just to do print copies? That seems like a waste of an opportunity. The thing is, if you don't want to be on Amazon, don't be on Amazon. But understand that you're going to make things a lot more difficult for yourself if your aim is to make money with your writing.

As I understand it, that's not actually what a chapbook is. But if you want to offer extra content, I would suggest having a link on your website where people can go and download a mobi file. That way, they can get the file if they want it, and don't have to be bothered if they don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
I'd mention at the end of your ebook that you have bonus content available as a free (digital) gift for newsletter subscribers. Then set it up to be auto-delivered to them after they subscribe (using a service like BookFunnel to distribute it to your subs). That's assuming you have a newsletter. If you don't, it's never too early to set one up and learn how to use the automation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ShayneRutherford said:
Are you saying that you want to sign up for an account but just to do print copies? That seems like a waste of an opportunity. The thing is, if you don't want to be on Amazon, don't be on Amazon. But understand that you're going to make things a lot more difficult for yourself if your aim is to make money with your writing.
No, I'm saying that I don't think I'll be in KU. I've seen all that BS of the page flip ripoffs, and everything else, and I just soured on it.

I am going to use a distributor who will put the work on Amazon. That's all. And, I'll sell whatever I can in any form, so it's not that. I am not trying to be a House author. I am not against Amazon, either.

As far as what chapbooks were, well, yeah, I am repurposing the concept. I can do that. Thank you for your idea!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carol (was Dara) said:
I'd mention at the end of your ebook that you have bonus content available as a free (digital) gift for newsletter subscribers. Then set it up to be auto-delivered to them after they subscribe (using a service like BookFunnel to distribute it to your subs). That's assuming you have a newsletter. If you don't, it's never too early to set one up and learn how to use the automation.
Thank you for your ideas!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,606 Posts
RedAlert said:
No, I'm saying that I don't think I'll be in KU. I've seen all that BS of the page flip ripoffs, and everything else, and I just soured on it.

I am going to use a distributor who will put the work on Amazon. That's all. And, I'll sell whatever I can in any form, so it's not that. I am not trying to be a House author. I am not against Amazon, either.
Why not just go direct with KU but not be in Select? If you go with a distributor you're going to lose an extra percentage when they take their fee. So after Amazon takes their 30%, the distributor is going to take another... 15%, I think it is, off that.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top