Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search for this but I couldn't think what to call it. Why do some of the books have dots for chapters and other books do not? I like knowing when I'm close to the end of a chapter. Is there a way to get this to show up on all the books? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Melissa

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It probably depends on the exact formatting (internal tags, etc.) of the book.  Maybe only chapter headings at a certain level, with the magic Mobipocket-specific page break tag are considered chapter headings?  It would be tricky to write software to magically "know" what kind of text constitutes an actual "chapter break".  You have to just pick a set of criteria and go with it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm curious about this also. Here's what we're talking about (photo taken from my K2).

See those black dots on the progress bar? They actually do correspond to chapters, and I absolutely love them. It's nice knowing when the chapter is going to end, and I wish more books had them. I assume the dots have something to do with how it was formatted when it was initially converted to ebook format.

If more books started having chapter dots, that would be a very good thing.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I just looked at a bunch of books on my K2 and none of them have the dots on the progress bar.  :(

L

·
Registered
921 Posts
I don't have the dots in the progress bar either.  I checked about 4 of the books I have and none of them have it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
So far, all the book I've bought from Orbit, those $1.00 science fiction and fantasy specials each month, have these dots.  

I'm fairly sure this is from the HTML code used to create the Kindle edition.  Back in 2002 when I started reading ebooks with the Microsoft Reader, some of the ebooks had a similar feature, but most didn’t.    At the time, I could code the ebooks I personally created for the .LIT format to navigate chapter by chapter, but I can’t remember exactly how I did it since abandoning the format.   I’m going to search old computer files this weekend to find a code sample and see it can be imported to the .PRC format.  

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm reading "The Shack" - it has chapter dots.  Two other books I'm reading do not.  The "Financial Times" does - I find it a useful addition and wish all Kindle materials incorporated this feature.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Leslie said:
I just looked at a bunch of books on my K2 and none of them have the dots on the progress bar. :(

L
Me too, no dots... I checked the 5 most recently purchased. I would love to have the chapter dot thingys.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm presently reading The Boy In Striped Pajamas.  I am in Chapter 8 and there are 8 dots showing on my progress bar.   

·
Registered
51 Posts
i must say, this is the one thing that worries me about getting a kindle - i read every night before bed, and i will hit a chapter, and then go "okay, how many pages till the next one?" and based on how many pages to go, i decide whether to keep reading or go to bed - i cant STAND to stop in the middle of a chapter or something....every chapter i read i basically flip ahead to see how long it is...i worry with the Kindle i will end up staying up a alot later with books that have long chapters :p

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured out you can make them yourself by going to the table of contents then clicking into each chapter then bookmarking the chapter. It takes some time to do but is totally worth it to me. I love the feature!

Melissa

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I wonder if 'chapter dots' is a feature of the update. . . . . .

Ann
<knows nothing, just 'opining', no K2 :)>

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ann Von Hagel said:
I wonder if 'chapter dots' is a feature of the update. . . . . .

Ann
<knows nothing, just 'opining', no K2 :)>
No, I don't think so because it was the same for me before the update. I just got the update yesterday.

Melissa

·
Registered
695 Posts
My original Kindle has had dots on every book so far but they are evenly spaced and don't correspond to chapters on it.  Another K2 upgrade I guess, too bad they're not found in every book.

·
Registered
921 Posts
The dots in K2 do correspond to chapters (or sections), and clicking left/right on the 5-way will skip backword/forward one chapter.  Unfortunately, they're strictly dependent on the formatting used by the publisher.  So far I'm averaging about 1 out of 10 books having the book formatted correctly to use them.  For all you Klassic Kindlers, they are a feature of the K2, and unless something changes in an upcoming patch don't work for the KK.

·
Registered
163 Posts
meljackson said:
I figured out you can make them yourself by going to the table of contents then clicking into each chapter then bookmarking the chapter. It takes some time to do but is totally worth it to me. I love the feature!

Melissa
I've done this on my K1. If you click on the bottom bar with the 'dots', the progress bar, up will come little arrows which show all of your book marks. If you hit next page, you will go to the next book mark; if you hit prev. page, you will go to the prev. bookmark. You can them bookmark all your chapters, by going to the TOC. I like to navigate this way, but I usually don't have the energy to bookmark all the chapters. It would be really nice if they were automatically marked this way. Sometimes its really nice to skip around in a book.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
JetJammer said:
The dots in K2 do correspond to chapters (or sections), and clicking left/right on the 5-way will skip backword/forward one chapter. Unfortunately, they're strictly dependent on the formatting used by the publisher. So far I'm averaging about 1 out of 10 books having the book formatted correctly to use them. For all you Klassic Kindlers, they are a feature of the K2, and unless something changes in an upcoming patch don't work for the KK.
Just found one of mine that has this--the abilty to jump to the next chapter using the 5-way is a big convenience when you're reading a series of short stories (and you've read some of them already). Hopefully more publishers start becoming aware of them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
meljackson said:

Melissa
Thank you Melissa, I like your idea. I'll try it with my next book.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I am only on my second Kindle book, and neither one had chapter dots. I may try that bookmarking suggestion, though. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts