Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After finishing my book and doing a few revisions, I started to feel that my character "Money Mike" name seemed familiar. After doing a quick Google, I realised the name had been used in a comedy film (very well know film). In the film, their character is a pimp, in my book, he is a drug dealer. My book is not a comedy either, so there's clear distinctions between their character and mine. I just wanted to know, is it safe for me to use this name? Or is it best to change the name for legal/copyright purposes? Obviously changing the name would be a big hassle, so I would like to avoid it if possible, but if it's the best option, I guess I won't have much choice. Any advice/guidance appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Also, when in doubt about something like that, or if you are that worried, you can always alter the name of your own character to something similar. Money Mark, Money Morgan, Dollar Dan, etc. That's what I do if I'm hedgy about a character's name. I do multiple searches -- on the Zon, Google, Bing, etc., and then make my decision.

But like Ima Writer's search shows, when you get to the third or fourth page you'll find it's apparently a term in the Urban Dictionary:
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Money%20Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the helpful replies. I had a quick look on the American trademark database and only found a person who owned a store who is now deceased. So I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. However, I may just change it to avoid any potential drama. I'm wondering with the trademark, even if I used something similar with the kind of money they would have could they still try and claim I used a name inspired by their character if I used a similar variation of name. I noticed when I looked up about trademark it says, it's only enforceable if the name is currently being used. The film is very old so again, I don't think the company/Katt Williams would seem ok. I would love to be able to afford to speak with a lawyer but I assume that would prove quite expensive so I'll just work with what I've got. I'll do some more digging and make a decision from there. Thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.