Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm banging my head on the desk struggling with the plot of book 3 of my trilogy, an author/friend recommended I look at this blog. It couldn't have come at a better time.

http://thisblogisaploy.blogspot.com/

Excerpt:
I like to say that I'm god in my novels. I'm the writer, I literally create the world from my imagination. You'd think, then, that I would have all the power, but I don't. I, too, am bound by the rules I set down and the people I create. Annoying and plot wrecking as their protests might be, a character who can stand up and say No is a treasure, one I'm still learning to appreciate.

I hope that this post about my mistakes helps you to avoid similar missteps in your own writing. Really, I should have stopped the moment I knew something was wrong. Forcing yourself to write a book that isn't working is just about the most painful and ego bashing experience possible... for a reason. Because you should never be doing it. I knew that, but I thought I was better. I thought I was a hotshot writer and could just fix things as I went. (Cue hysterical laughter). Yeah, no.

G

·
Well, Rose just refused to hold a grudge against the guy who left her friend for dead against my original plan, since she realized she was in the wrong too in leaving the army to visit her dying dad (which got thousands of her comrades killed because she wasn't there to keep the 2 strongest giant warriors on the enemy side in check)...

Then she and her man went to engage in a clash of titans with the giants.

·
Registered
773 Posts
No matter what plans I have for a novel, the characters are free to change them. And they usually do. My current novel has changed so much from the original plan that I hardly recognize it. And it's much better than if I'd ordered my characters to shut up and do as they're told.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
And it's magic when that happens.
I was annoying myself with a sticky plot issue. So then I tend to get the characters around a metaphorical table (including the baddies) to hash things out. Sure enough, one of them blurted out a problem with a plot logistic that I hadn't even seen. Awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.