Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my Kindle yet (ordered Nov. 29th).  I have been "buying" the free books on Amazon as they become available. They go to the page where I "manage my Kindle".  I think I read somewhere that if I wait until I have my Kindle to download them directly then I will be charged the  price for the book at the time of downloading.  Does anyone know if this is true?

I'm not very computer savvy and I just think it would be easier for me to download them directly to the Kindle.

Thanks.

wlachance

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I don't believe that can be true.  Once you buy a book, it goes into your content manager online.  Price even free should be set at that time.  Anyone else have experience with this?

Betsy

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
When you purchase a book, it goes into you Amazon account.  You can always download it for free after you own it.  Amazon will maintain a copy for you.  

There is a 10 cent charge to send something to Amazon, have them make it Kindle readable and send it back.  That might be the charge you are thinking about but it doesn't pertain to Amazon purchased books.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
jmiked said:
In theory. I've never been charged anything for the items I've sent to convert.

Mike
Great isn't it? ;D

Just thought that might be the charge they were thinking about. That's the only charge I have ever seen posted.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just got my Kindle a few days ago (love, love!). Prior to that, I had also clicked on some free books, which instantly got "beamed" to my new Kindle once I turned on whispernet. Now, these books haven't gone up in price--they're still free even now. But I would imagine that it only matters what the price is when you click on "buy" rather than the price when it gets d/l to your Kindle. So I think you're fine...there shouldn't be any surprise charges later when you get your Kindle. At least, that's what makes sense to me.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
And it seems to me, if you have a Kindle you can "buy" books for and it is going to your account, you've bought them at the price of $0.00. That shouldn't change once you actually have your Kindle in your hands.

L

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Yeah, once you got them they stay free.. I got one a while back that was free. I didn't even have my Kindle yet. Its not free anymore but it still shows as 0.00. You basically purchase it at 0.00 and you get your email from Amazon that you purchases it at that price.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
wlachance, is this what you read? (LINK)

If so, I obviously had the same concern while I was waiting for my Kindle to arrive. What the poster was referring to there was adding items to your Kindle's "save for later" list.

If you've purchased the book at $0.00, it's yours for that price no matter what - even if you don't have your Kindle yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It might actually be worth mentioning that as soon as I purchased my Kindle, I was able to "manage" it before it even arrived.  I was able to setup my Kindle email address and all.  So when you buy your free books you'll be able to click on the little button up top that says "send wirelessly to Kindle" once it's actually setup.  Am I making sense?  I've had a ton of coffee today >.<

1 - 10 of 10 Posts