Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear I am going to lose my MIND before the FedEx truck gets here today.  Anyway,  How long does it take to charge a Kindle?  I read that she will have to be charged when I get her out of the box.  Can I play around with it while it is charging? 

I HAVE BEEN UP SINCE 5:30AM waiting for that darned truck!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They come charged. Mine was fully charged when it arrived. Yes, you can use it when you are charging it.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Mine was NOT fully charged but since you can used it while it's plugged in, I did so and started using it right away.

When Vampyre was waiting for his Kindle back in November (December?) he was alerting us every couple of minutes it seemed -- we heard about every truck that came up his street that WASN'T UPS.  :)  It finally arrived at 7:42 that evening and we didn't seem him back here for an hour or so. 

Hope yours comes earlier than that. . . it was very stressful for all of us!  :D

Ann
(BTW, if you haven't yet, you might check out the Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting Forum.  There's an FAQ thread stickied at the top that will answer a lot of your questions. . . and if it generates more, that's o.k. too. . . we're here for you!)

·
Registered
325 Posts
As the others said, it comes at least partially charged, and you can use it while it's charging. I read the manual and the welcome letter while mine was charging.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Lotus said:
As the others said, it comes at least partially charged, and you can use it while it's charging. I read the manual and the welcome letter while mine was charging.
That's exactly what I did and I browsed the store online to buy my first book to start when I finished the manual ;-p

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Lotus said:
And then I started buying books and signing up for newspaper and magazine subscriptions. :D

Ann

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh, I still don't know how long it takes to charge, lol.  I want to take it to dinner tonight to show it off to my friends.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Lady Blue said:
Uh, I still don't know how long it takes to charge, lol. I want to take it to dinner tonight to show it off to my friends.
A couple of hours for a full charge from dead. It should be charged enough so that you can still show that baby off ;)

G

·
Ann Von Hagel said:
Mine was NOT fully charged but since you can used it while it's plugged in, I did so and started using it right away.

When Vampyre was waiting for his Kindle back in November (December?) he was alerting us every couple of minutes it seemed -- we heard about every truck that came up his street that WASN'T UPS. :) It finally arrived at 7:42 that evening and we didn't seem him back here for an hour or so.

Hope yours comes earlier than that. . . it was very stressful for all of us! :D

Ann
(BTW, if you haven't yet, you might check out the Tips, Tricks, and Troubleshooting Forum. There's an FAQ thread stickied at the top that will answer a lot of your questions. . . and if it generates more, that's o.k. too. . . we're here for you!)
Ahh yes...the good old days..actually one of the longest days ever. I plugged mine in to charge and was playing with it at the sametime. After about an hour, I suddenly remembered i had left everyone hanging so I came back to let them know everything was fine.

I have never been happier to see a UPS truck in my life! Soon you will see what I mean. You will also see that no matter how good we say a Kindle is, it's nothing compared to having your own.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I actually let my cousin charge mine as I was not there when it arrived so I have no idea.  But I do keep it charged all the time, and when it is charging I do read.

keeping fingers crossed the UPS truck gets there SOON!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a FedEx truck..I think I will call them as they have not updated their web page since last night!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I got mine partially charge, but considering that it took a week to get to me from the distribution center. My K came in right as I was leaving for class. I charged during class. lol. That's when my professor first spotted my K and was "Is that a Kindle?" in class.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'd say mine takes under 2 hours to charge, if Whispernet is off.  The other day I accidentally left it on, and I was wondering why it was taking so long :)  I'd say if you have at least half a charge (the little battery icon at the bottom is half dark or more), it's probably ok to take out and show off, as long as you keep the Whispernet demo quick.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah! Did it ever arrive? You can't just leave us hanging!

The Kindle will take about 2 hours to fully charge - the charging indicator light on the bottom of the Kindle will turn off when it is done.

Battery life depends on what you're doing with the Kindle - if you have Whispernet constantly on, you'll probably have to recharge daily if not every other day. If you have Whispernet off, you can make your Kindle last a week - maybe more depending on how often you read & how much you read.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts