Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better for the life of the batter to let in get really low before charging? I get nervous when the battery is half full... worried that I'll be stranded somewhere with Mabel (my Kindle) and the battery will die in the middle of a really good book (because there are no bad books on Mabel  ;) ).

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Honestly, I don't think it matters.  Charge it when you're comfortable doing so.  I've charged it when it's barely off full because I know I'll be traveling and I just want it -- like the gas tank in the car -- topped up.  And there are times I've left it until I get a low battery warning.  Usually, if I notice it is below half I'll plug it in over night or while I'm on the computer or something.

Some say you should let it nearly completely drain every few months to make sure the gauge is properly calibrated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Came here to agree with Ann (don't think it matters) but mainly to say that I think it's awesome you gave your Kindle a name.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the advice. I kinda figured it would be like a cell phone - best to drain it down occasionally. I'm so NOT a gadget person and I SO love Mable I want to do all I can to give her a loooong life.

If you're wondering, Mabel stands for Mothers Always Bring Extra Love... awwww  :p

Dorky, I know, but being a mom it suits.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A lot of discussion on this subject here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,56029.msg952160.html#msg952160.

The summary: it doesn't matter too much what you do, but avoid regularly discharging it to the low battery warning or below - and if you have to, charge it up as soon as possible, draining one of these batteries too low can ruin them.

I treat it like my car petrol tank (except it costs less to fill!) - there's no benefit in running it until it's nearly dry, and you may cause harm by doing it. Topping up before a long trip is not a problem.

The same applies to most modern phone batteries as well, btw.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try not to let the battery fall below 40% before you charge it too often , as it`s not good for the battery.

If you are having battery problems, then it is ok to run it till empty to calibrate the power gauge.

Also do not top off the battery too often as it damages the battery to be charged fully 100%, most notebooks now have an optional 80% max charge feature to keep the battery healthy longer.

Also if you intend to store you kindle for a couple of months or more, lower the battery to around 40% and keep it in a cool dry place also help the battery live longer.

lots of great information in the link below.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

1 - 6 of 6 Posts