Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine got a new K3 a few weeks ago, and when I saw her in town today, she flagged me down to ask a Kindle question. She had to relocate for awhile due to flooding, and, in doing so, misplaced her wall charger for her K3. She tried to charge her Kindle via the USB port on her computer, but it wasn't charged after a couple of hours. She said the light was orange, which (at least to my way of thinking) indicates that the unit is plugged in and hopefully is charging. I told her to leave her K3 plugged in overnight. If her computer happens to go into sleep mode or hibernation, would that cause her K3 to not charge? If this doesn't work for her, I made the mistake of saying that I have a spare wall charger for those times that I'm afraid I'll lose my other one. Of course, if I loan it out, I'll probably misplace MY wall charger.

·
Super Moderator
67,504 Posts
If it's a laptop and goes to sleep, yeah, that might stop the charging . . . . but it might not if the lap top is plugged in.

It definitely takes longer to charge via USB from the computer than by plugging it into a wall.

·
Registered
146 Posts
When laptops sleep, they turn off the power to their usb ports. Plugged in or not, if it goes to sleep, then it won't charge anything.
It's going to take longer to charge it via usb. Tell you friend to change the laptop's power properties to keep it from going to sleep when unattended and let that kindle charge overnight.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have any idea if she is using a laptop. I just know that I have to change power setting on my desktop computer if I am trying to do something that takes a long time, like downloading and installing an OS upgrade on y Apple products, or the first time that I setup a second iPad.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The power provided by USB ports varies tremendously, and some are unpowered.  Thus, how long it will take to charge - and even if it will charge - varies by computer and even by port on some machines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.