Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was listening to the Charlie Rose show while I was on the computer tonite.  His guests were columnists and writers and they were discussing how newspapers/publishing can survive the internet without going out of business (it's the first show of a series he's doing on the subject).

I wasn't paying attention to the guests names and was only half listening to the program until I heard Charlie Rose ask how the Kindle will impact them.  At first they referred to "Kindle and other digital devices" but eventually started referring just to Kindle - apparently that was easier ;-)

When I heard "Kindle" I started paying more attention :D and some interesting points came up:

One writer mentioned that in providing newspapers for the Kindle they may be able to avoid giving away information as they have done on the internet.  I'm still pondering the price of newspapers and magazines on the Kindle so this comment was enlightening for me.

All of the guests agreed that publishing will be changed by digital devices like the Kindle.  They each expressed a belief that publishers, authors and writers will have to start producing work with products like the Kindle in mind.  A newspaper guy compared it to the way they began to consider how the newspaper will look online as well as in print,  and he said that now they have to start considering how it will appear on a Kindle as well.  (maybe when they start doing this I will consider paying for it ;D)

They seemed to think Kindle was a very cool thing with the ability to access material wirelessly from anyplace and the ability to listen as well as read, etc.  The most fascinating comment  for me came from the writer - he gave the example of writing a book about Louis Armstrong and being able to include Armstrong's music in the book.  How cool would that be??  Of course that can be done now with audio books - but I wonder if anyone writes a book with the intention of it being in audio? 

Somebody said it might take 5 years to realize the full potential of the Kindle.  I got the impression he meant that both in terms of technology and the content available for it.  I was glad to hear that folks seem to be seriously considering how to produce materials for Kindle.

I will try to find the show online tomorrow and pay more attention to it, LOL.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Thanks for that informative post. I do enjoy Charlie Rose and how he goes layers deep on sometimes arcane subjects. What a fascinating discussion.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Anita said:
I was listening to the Charlie Rose show while I was on the computer tonite. His guests were columnists and writers and they were discussing how newspapers/publishing can survive the internet without going out of business (it's the first show of a series he's doing on the subject)

I wasn't paying attention to the guests names and was only half listening to the program until I heard Charlie Rose ask how the Kindle will impact them. At first they referred to "Kindle and other digital devices" but eventually started referring just to Kindle - apparently that was easier ;-)

When I heard "Kindle" I started paying more attention :D and some interesting points came up:....
Super catch and post!

I do like the ability to view Charlie Rose shows online when we've missed them.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Note the interview is from November 2007 when they released the Original Kindle.

Ann

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
Just listened to the interview. . . .very interesting. . . .apparently Bezos is also into developing sub-orbital flight safe enough for tourists. . .  .maybe there will be WN in outer space someday!  :)

I thought it was amusing, also, how Charlie kept trying to get him to say how many Kindles there were out there. .  .and I found it interesting that Charlie said that he usually sees at least one on almost every flight he's on, which is apparently a lot. . . .speaks well for the future of the device.

Ann

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
Just listened to the interview. . . .very interesting. . . .apparently Bezos is also into developing sub-orbital flight safe enough for tourists. . . .maybe there will be WN in outer space someday! :)

I thought it was amusing, also, how Charlie kept trying to get him to say how many Kindles there were out there. . .and I found it interesting that Charlie said that he usually sees at least one on almost every flight he's on, which is apparently a lot. . . .speaks well for the future of the device.

Ann
I found it very interesting too....I just love the rambling aspects of a Charlie Rose interview when he has an interesting guest.

Thanks Panjo and r0bodoc for posting about this because I often fall asleep before the show comes on! :)

I loved Charlie's comment "my Kindle wants to know how many other Kindles are out there......out big is the BROOD?" Nice try Charlie, LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts