Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow I never thought about just how big the different in the price between Sony and amazon was. I'm glad I went with Kindle.

G

·
Amazon should run a large price comparison chart to show ho much cheaper their books are. So much cheaper and wireless downloading is included in the cost.  

This is great unless you really really want a touch screen.  I don't.  screens are for reading, Key boards are for touching.  KB's are easier to clean than screens to.

Amazon sells all of the Sony readers.  Funny how none of them are out of stock.  Did they make enough?  Is everyone buying Kindles instead?

·
Registered
157 Posts
THe average price differences between the sony store and the amazon story where my primary reason I chose the kindle. I was on the fence on which I should get the reader or the kindle, but after looking at those prices my mind as absolutely made up.  Sony= gorgeous on the outside, but lazy and is a moneygrabber, or Kindle= geeky guy next door looks, smart with lots of personality and knows the value of a bargin.  Yeah I love my Kindle :D

·
Registered
788 Posts
Scathach said:
Sony= gorgeous on the outside, but lazy and is a moneygrabber, or Kindle= geeky guy next door looks, smart with lots of personality and knows the value of a bargin.
I've never understood the "Kindle is ugly" crowd.

Sorry Steve Jobs, but Technology doesn't need to be pretty, it needs to work.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
My mom always told me to go for the geek and not the pretty boy.  Guess she was right after all.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I don't think it's ugly either, I think it's just right. And you know, I am so tired of all the silver and black shiny devices that I feel like I have to wipe every time I touch them so they stay shiny.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
MonaSW said:
I don't think it's ugly either, I think it's just right. And you know, I am so tired of all the silver and black shiny devices that I feel like I have to wipe every time I touch them so they stay shiny.
I found the Sony waay too gadget-y. Plus it was cold! Who wants to read a cold book?

jah said:
Wow I never thought about just how big the different in the price between Sony and amazon was. I'm glad I went with Kindle.
Also, Sony doesn't have as many books in their store. To me, that's no competition. They're gonna end up the Beta in this VHS war.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mikuto said:
I've never understood the "Kindle is ugly" crowd.

Sorry Steve Jobs, but Technology doesn't need to be pretty, it needs to work.
I agree it not how it look but how well it work, plus I find that most of the time the kindle disappare as I read the book.

·
Registered
157 Posts
jah said:
I agree it not how it look but how well it work, plus I find that most of the time the kindle disappare as I read the book.
2nd the Kindles ability to disappear... I don't feel as I am reading on an e-book I just fade into the story in my head if that makes any sense at all. And I love not having to wrestle a clunky hardcover in bed(I still love DTBs tho).

Honestly the Kindle looked geeky to me (not really ugly), but now that I have it in my paws it doesn't look as strange to me as it did in pictures. Its definitely speedier then the sony 505 I tried out. I hope that Kindle 2.0 (going to get one for the hubby now) has smoother transitioning then it currently does (the sony was much worse). So love my kindle, I am showing her off to everyone today lol.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I buy a lot of Sci Fi and I have checked Amazon's prices versus Baen, which has a large selection of SF books. In every instance (except when Baen gives you a free selection), Amazon is always cheaper, although usually by 10% - 15%, which is not as great as the Tim Russert example you show. But it does add up over time. However I do sometime rebuy a favorite book which I already have as DTB because I will no longer reread any non digital fare. So I gain in purchases but probably give it back in buying books for my "collection" that I already own.

Steve

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
We knew we were getting deals, thanks!  I guess Amazon's paper book sales are subsidizing the ebooks, and Sony doesn't have that luxury!

Betsy

·
Registered
68 Posts
WOW! Now that's a realllly big price difference. I'm a huge amazon fan anyway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts