Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Interesting.  I saw the leader but had not read it yet, you got me to it.  The best part is possible price drops, both for the kindle and kindelized books.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
That just looks like a small laptop that AT&T is trying to sell as an e-book, why don't people get that there is a HUGE difference between e-ink and a computer screen??  I hope these stupid companies peddling teeny tiny computers to read off of don't take business away from the e-ink readers because really that's the only way to go.  I wouldn't have even bothered with the Kindle if it was back lit.  What's the point?  I have a computer for that.  I love the kindle because it feels like I'm reading a book not a computer!!  ARGH!! :) :)  Anyway the article did talk about the kindle a lot, so that's good advertising for that!! :)

Rachel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Athenagwis said:
That just looks like a small laptop that AT&T is trying to sell as an e-book, why don't people get that there is a HUGE difference between e-ink and a computer screen?? I hope these stupid companies peddling teeny tiny computers to read off of don't take business away from the e-ink readers because really that's the only way to go. I wouldn't have even bothered with the Kindle if it was back lit. What's the point? I have a computer for that. I love the kindle because it feels like I'm reading a book not a computer!! ARGH!! :) :) Anyway the article did talk about the kindle a lot, so that's good advertising for that!! :)

Rachel
Well said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
If we actually see price drops come of this, I'll be a happy camper. As for back-lit screen vs e-ink, yeah, absolutely... you really can't even compare them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
sirsell said:
Wow this is very interesting...any takers yet???
If the screen is good (accurate colors, no glare, not slow, no ghosting), and if it's a speedy machine with enough of a hard disk, yes, I'd likely be a taker -- because I've been looking at the Samsung 10" after at first deciding to get the Asus 10" (and before that, the Acer). The street prices on those are $350-$450 with 2 megs of memory and a good-sized hard disk.

Now, for $50 I might think again, and it will depend on how much the wireless costs and whether that might be available outside the U.S. The data charges monthly should have tiered pricing, with the lowest being below $30/mo. as I would not use it that much. i have WI FI in my house and the Kindle's EVDO wireless outside. But I want a netbook for travel for weeks, to offload photos and to keep up with email as I did 2-1/2 years ago.

Pricing it as just a receiving-box as they're doing is wise, but I'll still want it to be a good machine.
The Samsung is a killer and available for about $350. On the road we often had wifi in the hotels anyway, so a normal netbook may do just fine, and if the screen is as good as reviews say it is, I could do Photoshop on it when not tied to the desktop.

By the way, in reply to other notes, from what I saw (quickly), they said this was coming out, and then they quoted the lead guy that the company is also interested in an e-reader to compete with Amazon's. They didn't say this nettop was going to be an e-reader... from what I could see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
sirsell said:
Wow this is very interesting...any takers yet???
Follow-up note on this:
See http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10210337-1.html

AT&T will "subsidize" various netbook brands, such as the Acer and Dell.

The netbook prices start at $50 and go to $250 depending on what you want on them and which data plans you choose. It'll tend to include both wi-fi and wireless and you get a better discount on the netbook if you choose a dataplan with both.

The MINIMUM data plan is $60/mo. - that's $720/yr to start. (Promo in Philadelphia will not affect many and that is $40/mo.)

The reason I didn't get an iPod is it's done via AT&T (though it's since been 'unlocked')
as AT&T is awful where I live (in California).

The article has this to say:
It's unclear what AT&T will do to make sure customers don't break the contract and keep the computer, as some of these Netbooks can cost up to $650 on the street.

It's also interesting that the company is offering this program in select areas only. I'd assume these are where its 3G network works well. If you've been to California or New York, you've probably been surprised at how bad AT&T's 3G signal is, both for voice and data. Personally, I have to turn my iPhone's 3G feature off to have a steady voice connection.
So I won't be likely to get one of those after all. I will just probably get the Samsung and use the WiFi in my house (and hook up to any outside where they happen to be (if free or reasonably priced).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Somehow I don't think reading in bed would be a comfortable activity with this. ;)
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Um, I have a netbook (an Acer Aspire One) and it's not "stupid". It's actually very very useful. That said I don't read on it and never would. I do have a wireless plan with my cell company (Sprint) that's $60 a month but it uses a tiny external modem that plugs into the usb drive rather than a preinstalled card so I can use my wireless data on any computer. For me it's worth the money. However I confine my e-book reading to my awesome Kindle! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
Athenagwis said:
That just looks like a small laptop that AT&T is trying to sell as an e-book, why don't people get that there is a HUGE difference between e-ink and a computer screen?? I hope these stupid companies peddling teeny tiny computers to read off of don't take business away from the e-ink readers because really that's the only way to go. I wouldn't have even bothered with the Kindle if it was back lit. What's the point? I have a computer for that. I love the kindle because it feels like I'm reading a book not a computer!! ARGH!! :) :) Anyway the article did talk about the kindle a lot, so that's good advertising for that!! :)

Rachel
I think they're talking two separate issues. The $50 netbook (which will be very interesting to see when it happens) is happening. That they're considering "getting into the e-book market" is another issue. Heck, it could be that they'll hook up with Kindle to expand the phones that you can read Kindle content on - they already have the iPhone, they could start making them available for Palms, etc, as well. As the article said, they'd have to hook up with someone to provide the content. I'd read on my Palm in a pinch, for a short time, if I could load my Kindle books onto it like my husband can with his iPhone. But not for extended reading.

And I have a netbook & love it, but don't want to read on it either. At any rate, reading the article I don't think the netbook and the e-book concept are related.

At any rate, the fact that they're even considering getting into the e-book market is good news - it means they think the e-book concept is succeeding & they want to jump on the wagon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Meemo said:
I think they're talking two separate issues. The $50 netbook (which will be very interesting to see when it happens) is happening. That they're considering "getting into the e-book market" is another issue. Heck, it could be that they'll hook up with Kindle to expand the phones that you can read Kindle content on - they already have the iPhone, they could start making them available for Palms, etc, as well. As the article said, they'd have to hook up with someone to provide the content. I'd read on my Palm in a pinch, for a short time, if I could load my Kindle books onto it like my husband can with his iPhone. But not for extended reading.

And I have a netbook & love it, but don't want to read on it either. At any rate, reading the article I don't think the netbook and the e-book concept are related.

At any rate, the fact that they're even considering getting into the e-book market is good news - it means they think the e-book concept is succeeding & they want to jump on the wagon.
I hope they are two separate issues! I see that a netbook could be very useful for what it is, but I don't think it should be touted as an e-reader. I think the Kindle could use some healthy e-ink competition, but I just don't want e-ink to go to the wayside for tiny computers because people don't know any better. :)

Rachel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Athenagwis said:
I hope they are two separate issues! I see that a netbook could be very useful for what it is, but I don't think it should be touted as an e-reader. I think the Kindle could use some healthy e-ink competition, but I just don't want e-ink to go to the wayside for tiny computers because people don't know any better. :)

Rachel
As I said earlier, they used the word "also" re being interested or focused in getting a competing e-reader out.

They're not being stupid (I'm addressing that to those who said this) - they do know what a Netbook is and what an e-reader is; it was a matter of reading quickly and associating a picture of a netbook (which IS already out, practically) and seeing that in the same text box they were quoted as "also" interested in getting an e-reader out.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top