Kindle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn for a dumb question, I'm sure somebody can point to the discussion that I can't find now - although it may have been on that other board that we escaped from...
I know there is a way to check the Whispernet/Sprint coverage for an area, there was a link to a website, IIRC and it showed coverage over a map in various shades of green.  I've just lost the link and I can't find it on the boards here.  I do remember a post reminding people to check their coverage, but I'm not finding it.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Katiekat

G

·
No problem The search engine works best if you go out to the root directory. Then it searches the whole forum. If you search inside a subsection like Let's Talk Kindle! then it only searches that area. :)

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
katiekat1066 said:
See I knew it was somewhere, I was just too dumb to manage to find the discussion even with the nifty search engine the board has. Thanks, Vampy! :-*

Katiekat
Tip for using the board's search engine: it's location dependent. If you type something in the search box and you're in one of the forums, say Let's Talk Kindle, the search will only check that forum for the term. To search the whole Kindleboards, click on Home in the upper left hand corner and then type into the search box in the upper right hand corner.

Betsy

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Just an additional reminder too on checking for Whispernet coverage.... the map isn't always 100% accurate.  The map shows that we don't have coverage at our home even though it's all around us because we live in a river valley.  But, unless there is a thunderstorm or snowstorm going on.... I can get 3-4 of the 5 bars possible and that is enough for me to receive the books I buy from Amazon just fine.  I have also had an experience where the reverse was true.  The map showed that a location had coverage and I wasn't able to get above 2 bars of signal strength and my book wouldn't download until I changed locations by about a mile.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hypothetically...

If one had or had access to a Sprint Phone... would that give a more representative idea of (very) localized signal strength?

Just wonderin'

Jim

·
Registered
829 Posts
speaking of whispernet coverage, I had someone stop by my desk with the "can I ask a question" routine.  I thought it would be work related and when I said sure - he wanted to know about whispernet coverage and if there were extra charges for it.  me thinks someone is getting a Kindle soon at work.  :)  I demo'ed mine to him just before I went on vacation and he flew to CA to see his parents and told them about it.  His dad said he doubted the downloading was free for wireless so he wanted to double check.  You should have seen his face when I mentioned accessing gmail and wikipedia as well at no cost.  I let him know the only charges for downloading were the charges for the actual content.  He got that silly "for real?" grin on his face as he walked away saying "that is sooooo cool!"  Yep. He is getting one.  I know it.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
EyeMc said:
Hypothetically...

If one had or had access to a Sprint Phone... would that give a more representative idea of (very) localized signal strength?

Just wonderin'

Jim
I'm honestly not sure.... I would think there might be multiple factors. Sprint told us we wouldn't have cell phone coverage out where we live so we went with another cell phone company..... but we do have Whispernet. I wonder if there is any difference in signal strength between Whispernet and the Sprint cell phone signal.... maybe even a different type/frequency of signal?? Hopefully someone on the KindleBoards is more knowledgeable on the subject......

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
I'm honestly not sure.... I would think there might be multiple factors. Sprint told us we wouldn't have cell phone coverage out where we live so we went with another cell phone company..... but we do have Whispernet. I wonder if there is any difference in signal strength between Whispernet and the Sprint cell phone signal.... maybe even a different type/frequency of signal?? Hopefully someone on the KindleBoards is more knowledgeable on the subject......
I have no problem with my whispernet signal in my home, yet my son who is a Sprint customer has to go out on the patio to use his cell phone when he visits us!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm having a problem getting a connection at work, but I think that might be the steel and concrete building getting in the way, I'll have to try going out into the parking lot.  I know some folks have a problem with their cell phones in the building, its an older strip-mall converted into offices.  I just suddenly got a sudden compulsion to check coverage in each of the places I'll be going to SF cons this coming year - so far so good, although I'm not sure about how good the coverage will be at the Chattanooga convention, the hotel is on the edge.  I'll live, its just so much more fun showing it off where you can show the Whispernet off, too.  I'm silly, I guess.  :D

Katiekat

·
Registered
679 Posts
According to the map - I am not in a whispernet coverage area... that really doesnlt suprise me as Sprint (or any B side cell service) is lousy out here, even my Verizon (A side) isn't the best - and that only works well outside... But, does show if I go to one of the towns in either direction (the two i usually go to when i need anything) I will be in coverage area...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
I bet you'll be fine. I had access in Gatlinburg this summer. . . .Chattanooga is at least a real city. :)

Ann
I looked at it more closely today, down to the street level, it looks like it'll be OK since its so close to the interstate. I just remember that a lot of people had to go outside to use their phones last year, maybe it was the building. Now all I have to wish for is that somebody puts up a cell tower near my friend's house - she lives far enough in the mountains in the country that there is no cell service at all. I'm just addicted to using the whispernet already!

Katiekat

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
katiekat1066 said:
I looked at it more closely today, down to the street level, it looks like it'll be OK since its so close to the interstate.
Katiekat
Yeah. . .it's interesting to see the map and see lots of places that look like there's no coverage but if you go in closer you see that if you're on the interstate you're good. . . .

ann

1 - 17 of 17 Posts