Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
love2read, I don't know which version of the Bible that you are looking at but I have the NIV.  You go to the Table of Contents and find the book, click, find the chapter, click, and the verse, click.  I have gotten to where it takes me no time to get to where I want. I know several of the authors that you listed, what is your favorite genre in CF?

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I have the NIV, too. I have a sample of the One Year Bible. I am considering it for my daily reading for 2009.

·
Registered
469 Posts
tc said:
love2read, I don't know which version of the Bible that you are looking at but I have the NIV. You go to the Table of Contents and find the book, click, find the chapter, click, and the verse, click. I have gotten to where it takes me no time to get to where I want. I know several of the authors that you listed, what is your favorite genre in CF?
Hi TC, Can you post the link for the NIV Bible you have? I have one sample ready to download when my Kindle arrives (Dec 16-19) but I don't think I want to buy one until I can actually see the sample and how it works.

My all time favorite Christian books are "The Refiner Series" by Lynn Austin. They are mostly about slavery then through the war when they were all set free. I listened to all of these as audio books. I also own the whole set.

This is the link for the first book in the series, unfortunately it isn't available on Kindle yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1556614365/ref=kinw_rke_rti_1

I also really like Jack Cavanaugh's "The Book of Book's Series" and the "American Family Portrait" Series

http://www.amazon.com/Glimpses-Truth-Book-Books-1/dp/0310215749/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228447254&sr=8-25

I like historical, some contemporary, & mystery Christian fiction.

Glimpses of Truth by Jack Cavanaugh is a book about how the Bible was translated into English and the persecution that happened to those caught translating it. At the end of each book in this series, the author write the exact historical facts and the fictional parts he put in to make the story. It was facinating how close he tried to stick with history only adding a few fictional characters as their friends.

I also really liked Gilbert Morris's first series but haven't liked his newer stuff.

Same with Lori Wick, I really like her older stuff but haven't enjoyed the newer ones as much.

Lynn

·
Registered
469 Posts
Angela said:
I have the NIV, too. I have a sample of the One Year Bible. I am considering it for my daily reading for 2009.
I have a DTB One Year Bible and I like the daily reading schedule but it is a paperback and to heavy and floppy if I'm laying in bed and trying to hold it up. I have been thinking about getting one like it on the Kindle for 2009 as well.

I just hope my Kindle stays on track regarding the delivery schedule. Then I will have had it 2 weeks and be more familiar with how it works and hopefully be ready to start a One Year Bible reading format.

I also just realized that Lynn Austin has a new book out and it is available on Kindle. I can't wait! Lots of good books coming my way!

Lynn

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Angela said:
I bought the Amplified Bible and it's very easy to use too. The One Year Bible was also one of the first books I bought for my Kindle and I just love it. I had the DTB for 8 years and love the way it is set up with OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs for every day. With the Kindle remembering where you left off in any given book... it works just great for this Bible. You can read that day's passages and then you'll be at the first page for the next day's readings when you're done. The next day, the Kindle takes you right where you need to be for that day. Oops, guess this isn't CF and I didn't mean to get off the topic of fiction.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
I bought the Amplified Bible and it's very easy to use too. The One Year Bible was also one of the first books I bought for my Kindle and I just love it. I had the DTB for 8 years and love the way it is set up with OT, NT, Psalms and Proverbs for every day. With the Kindle remembering where you left off in any given book... it works just great for this Bible. You can read that day's passages and then you'll be at the first page for the next day's readings when you're done. The next day, the Kindle takes you right where you need to be for that day. Oops, guess this isn't CF and I didn't mean to get off the topic of fiction.
I have read The One Year Bible 2 or 3 times and will be reading it in 2009 on Leisel. Looking forward to it and excited. :) If you are looking specifically for a daily Bible reading or perhaps you want to read the Bible in a year, I recommend this highly. I agree not CF but a worthwhile post I belive... and now back to CF. ;)

Linda

·
Registered
469 Posts
Maybe this thread should be renamed Christian Reader Fans. I like being able to read Christian fiction recommendations and also about the types of Bibles people are enjoying on the Kindle all on one thread. Even other types of Christian books would be fine. That way I can keep checking back to this spot for all Christian reading interests.

Lynn M

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
love2read said:
Maybe this thread should be renamed Christian Reader Fans. I like being able to read Christian fiction recommendations and also about the types of Bibles people are enjoying on the Kindle all on one thread. Even other types of Christian books would be fine. That way I can keep checking back to this spot for all Christian reading interests.

Lynn M
I love your suggestion!! I'd like to be able to hear what devotionals people are enjoying too!! I second the motion if needed!!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
love2read said:

Lynn M
Great suggestion Lynn, perhaps Betsy can make that change for us. There are other Christian books I read that aren't fiction and I read a different Bible each year. Looking forward to The One Year Bible on my Kindle in 2009. I've read the DTB and enjoyed it very much.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great idea on the name change.  Can you do that Betsy?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
The Devotional Bible by Max Lucado is one of my all time favorites. I used it 2 years and passed it on to my daughter in June. Unfortunately it isn't available for Kindle.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
The Devotional Bible by Max Lucado is one of my all time favorites. I used it 2 years and passed it on to my daughter in June. Unfortunately it isn't available for Kindle.
I also love Max Lucado's Devotional Bible. What I do for my daily Bible reading is I read the devotion for the scriptural reading for the day from the Devotional Bible. I then read the Bible passage in my copy of Nelson's Study Bible which is absolutely wonderful. It has so many footnotes and little articles. It's a monstrous big Bible but I am learning so much going through it. I was very fortunate to get the Nelson's Study Bible free from crossings.com when they sent me a "We want you back" mailer after I had quit them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Suzanne said:
I also love Max Lucado's Devotional Bible. What I do for my daily Bible reading is I read the devotion for the scriptural reading for the day from the Devotional Bible. I then read the Bible passage in my copy of Nelson's Study Bible which is absolutely wonderful. It has so many footnotes and little articles. It's a monstrous big Bible but I am learning so much going through it. I was very fortunate to get the Nelson's Study Bible free from crossings.com when they sent me a "We want you back" mailer after I had quit them.
I have never seen either the Max Lucado Devotional Bible or the Nelson's Study Bible. I hope Amazon is able to expand their bible section at some point to add these types of Bibles.

I'm probably going to start with the NIV Bible. (My Kindle arrives tomorrow :D :D ). But I really want to add a second one like the One Year Devotional or a different type of devotional or study bible to my kindle.

Besides the One Year Devotional Bible is there another type of devotional or study bible available for the Kindle that anyone has tried and likes?

Lynn M

·
Registered
835 Posts
love2read said:
I have never seen either the Max Lucado Devotional Bible or the Nelson's Study Bible. I hope Amazon is able to expand their bible section at some point to add these types of Bibles.

I'm probably going to start with the NIV Bible. (My Kindle arrives tomorrow :D :D ). But I really want to add a second one like the One Year Devotional or a different type of devotional or study bible to my kindle.

Besides the One Year Devotional Bible is there another type of devotional or study bible available for the Kindle that anyone has tried and likes?

Lynn M
Like you, I would love a good devotional Bible for the Kindle. But I'm still pleased as Punch with the two I use. If you are interested, they are available at crossings.com but I believe you would have to become a member.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Suzanne said:
Like you, I would love a good devotional Bible for the Kindle. But I'm still pleased as Punch with the two I use. If you are interested, they are available at crossings.com but I believe you would have to become a member.
I am interested in the Nelson Study Bible Suzanne but think I would like it in DTB. I am going to check out crossings.com.

For all of you posting here, I have asked Betsy to change the name to Christian Reading or Christian Reading Fans. This will allow us to broaden our discussion although we seem to ;)have already done that. Perhaps it will draw more members that are looking for bibles, devotion books or other Christian non-fiction.

Linda

·
Registered
835 Posts
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I am interested in the Nelson Study Bible Suzanne but think I would like it in DTB. I am going to check out crossings.com.

For all of you posting here, I have asked Betsy to change the name to Christian Reading or Christian Reading Fans. This will allow us to broaden our discussion although we seem to ;)have already done that. Perhaps it will draw more members that are looking for bibles, devotion books or other Christian non-fiction.

Linda
Linda, I would recommend the DTB version of the Nelson Study Bible. It's huge and has pictures and many side articles. It also has footnotes on practically every verse. If you were to join Crossings, you may be able to get it as one of your "freebie" books. I think now the price is around $45 (it used to be $65) and they might have you use that as two freebie selections if you know what I mean.

Betsy, I think splitting things into two threads is a great idea. It's much less cluttered. I'm just glad the thread is here. Now having two is even better!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
We've split out the Christian Devotional reading (Bibles, etc) from the Christian Fiction Genre discussion--find out our members' favorite Bibles and readers here!

Betsy

1 - 20 of 119 Posts