Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 536 Posts

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I am a fan of all genres of books, I am a huge fan of Christian Fiction. I was wondering if there were other CF Fans here on the boards as well. How did you discover Christian Fiction? What CF books do you have on your Kindle? What CF books would you like to have on your Kindle? Who are your favorite CF authors?

I always avoided Christian Fiction in the past because I assumed they were "preachy and/or boring" or they were the romance-type stories that my grandmother was always trying to get me to read! In 1987 I discovered Frank E. Peretti's
This Present Darkness (unfortunately not a Kindle book) and found I that his books fit right in with my love for the "supernatural/good vs. evil" type of stories. Along with Peretti, I also enjoy books by Ted Dekker
and Randy Alcorn
. A lot of their earlier works that I really love are not available for Kindle, but I haven't given up! Their newer novels have been kindlized though.

About 2 years ago I was introduced to a female author of CF by the name of Francine Rivers
. When her book Redeeming Love (not on Kindle) was the subject of our book club, I was dreading it, especially when I saw the cover which had "romance novel" written all over it! WOW, was I surprised!! This woman can write! Rivers is a former romance novelist who now writes CF. I guess I would put her in the genre of Historical/romance Fiction, and I really can't believe how much I love her stories!

Well, that is just a little bit of my background with Christian Fiction. I can't wait to hear from others who share this love too. I will be posting additional links and remarks later on.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hi Angela,

I like CF too. I love Peretti and Francine Rivers. I've also read all the Left Behind series. Those were pretty good. My all time favorite though is Firebird but it's not kindlelized yet :(

However some/or all not sure of the Left Behind Series are:

TheresaM

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am sooo glad to meet you- I too read mostly Christian fiction.  My favorite, hands down, is Karen Kingsbury.  I shared your thoughts on CF until I started to read some:  thought they were ALL lousy romance short stories or all about Amish people- I couldn't be more wrong.  I have read Dekker & Alcorn.  Also like Lori Wick, Debra White Smith, of course the "Left Behind" books, and many others.  And I agree, Francine Rivers is awesome.

I like other genres however, I can't stand the language/trash scenes so prefer to stick to CF.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Theresa! I clicked on your link for Firebird to request it for the Kindle! I haven't downloaded any of the Left Behind series, but I plan to. I read all but the last 2 and then work and life got in the way of my reading! I want to start over and read them all again. I am hoping I will be able to do it all on the Kindle.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I also read the Left Behind series. I read Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury, Liz Curtis Higgs (she cracks me up). I will have to try some of the ones I haven't read before. I was browsing in Lifeway Christian and that is how I was introduced to Christian fiction. I enjoy other genres also, reading The Stand by Stephen King now.

Linda

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Newbie Girl said:
I am sooo glad to meet you- I too read mostly Christian fiction. My favorite, hands down, is Karen Kingsbury. I shared your thoughts on CF until I started to read some: thought they were ALL lousy romance short stories or all about Amish people- I couldn't be more wrong. I have read Dekker & Alcorn. Also like Lori Wick, Debra White Smith, of course the "Left Behind" books, and many others. And I agree, Francine Rivers is awesome.

I like other genres however, I can't stand the language/trash scenes so prefer to stick to CF.
Nice to meet you, too Newbie Girl!. I have a couple of Kingsbury's books on my shelves. She has quite a few available for the Kindle. I haven't read any Lori Wick or Debra White Smith. I have a close friend who loves Wick and is always bugging me to try her books! I am looking forward to eveyone's recommandations! Thanks for posting!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Oh man, I couldn't imagine stopping at the last two I'd have gone crazy! I think its deffinatly a series I'll want to add to my kindle and read again.

Also remembered this series by Francine Rivers that I loved

There are some others that aren't -mushy love stories too but well have to go home and check those titles :)

TheresaM

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Linda Cannon-Mott said:
I also read the Left Behind series. I read Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury, Liz Curtis Higgs (she cracks me up). I will have to try some of the ones I haven't read before. I was browsing in Lifeway Christian and that is how I was introduced to Christian fiction. I enjoy other genres also, reading The Stand by Stephen King now.

Linda
Linda, I was HUGE Stephen King fan when I found Peretti. I have The Stand on my list to reread.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bkworm8it said:
Oh man, I couldn't imagine stopping at the last two I'd have gone crazy! I think its deffinatly a series I'll want to add to my kindle and read again.

There are some others that aren't -mushy love stories too but well have to go home and check those titles :)

TheresaM
I have that series. Actually I have almost all of her books in DTV. The first one was hard for me to get into, but once I did, I couldn't put it down!

·
Registered
52 Posts
bkworm8it said:

TheresaM
I agree- definately worth a re-read and I will be adding to my list as well!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Angela said:
Although I am a fan of all genres of books, I am a huge fan of Christian Fiction.
Angela,

I suppose you've read THE ROBE by Lloyd C. Douglas. If you'd like to read it again you can buy it…

...or get it free from Gutenberg Australia:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks04/0400561h.html

If you save the HTML file to your hard drive, you can upload it to read on your Kindle.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeff said:
Angela,

I suppose you’ve read THE ROBE by Lloyd C. Douglas. If you’d like to read it again you can buy it…

...or get it free from Gutenberg Australia:

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks04/0400561h.html

If you save the HTML file to your hard drive, you can upload it to read on your Kindle.

Jeff
No, Jeff, I haven't read this one. I think I prefer the free version. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Happy to see this discussion!!  I've read the Left Behind series (DTBs) three times now, including the 3 prequel books..... one of my favorite series!  I'm about half way through The Stand on my Kindle right now.  I too read it about 20 years ago.... and I'm enjoying it even more this time through.  Maybe that's due in part to the fact that I'm not having to deal with a 4 lb DTB.   :D  After reading the Bargain Books discussion, I just purchased a Christian fiction book called Believe by Daniel Oran..... looks interesting.... especially for 99 cents!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PraiseGod13 said:
Happy to see this discussion!! I've read the Left Behind series (DTBs) three times now, including the 3 prequel books..... one of my favorite series! I'm about half way through The Stand on my Kindle right now. I too read it about 20 years ago.... and I'm enjoying it even more this time through. Maybe that's due in part to the fact that I'm not having to deal with a 4 lb DTB. :D After reading the Bargain Books discussion, I just purchased a Christian fiction book called Believe by Daniel Oran..... looks interesting.... especially for 99 cents!
Welcome PraiseGod13! 99 cent books are almost always good! BTW - I remember reading in another thread that the number 13 was special to you... same here! It has showed up in my life in many strange and wonderful ways! The best... my wedding day! Larry & I married on the 13th!

·
Registered
835 Posts
You guys are getting me in so much trouble!!! It's all your fault!!!  ;D Now I'm going through this post and will be one-clicking to death! I've read most of the Left Behind series, but I think I'll read that again on Kindle. I didn't read the prequel books. I've been meaning to read Karen Kingsbury. Which one of hers would you recommend? Now I have to go through this thread and look each book up and you just know I'll be buying some!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Suzanne said:
You guys are getting me in so much trouble!!! It's all your fault!!! ;D Now I'm going through this post and will be one-clicking to death! I've read most of the Left Behind series, but I think I'll read that again on Kindle. I didn't read the prequel books. I've been meaning to read Karen Kingsbury. Which one of hers would you recommend? Now I have to go through this thread and look each book up and you just know I'll be buying some!
Hi Suzanne! I just one clicked your bargains in the bargain book thread!

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only Kingsbury books I have read are the first 2 of the September 11 Series. Last week, books 1 & 2 were not available on Kindle, now they are! I didn't know there was a 3rd book until recently. Can't wait to read it!

1 - 20 of 536 Posts