Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As readers, I'd like to know if Christian Fiction is of any interest to you? I have a few ideas for stories that I'd like to write, one being a re-telling of the story of Job. The story would be set in contemporary America and would loosely follow the Biblical story. I wondered if there's a market for these kinds of stories?

Thank you,
PJ Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
I have no interest, but there are a lot here who do. Here's a whole thread on the topic:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1160.0.html

There's also a One Year Bible Book Klub in the Book Klub area.

***on a separate topic, please be careful about mentioning your own work or doing 'research'. Self-promotion is only allowed in the book Bazaar where you are welcome to start a thread for your book if you've not done so already.

·
Registered
864 Posts
PJ Lincoln said:
As readers, I'd like to know if Christian Fiction is of any interest to you? I have a few ideas for stories that I'd like to write, one being a re-telling of the story of Job. The story would be set in contemporary America and would loosely follow the Biblical story. I wondered if there's a market for these kinds of stories?
Yes, check out Liz Curtis Higgs. She has a series based on Jacob, Esau, Rachel and Leah set in 17th Century southwestern Scotland. She also has a two book series based on Ruth and Naomi set during the 1745 Rising in Scotland.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I believe Christian fiction is a growing genre.  What it needs (and I discussed this with a pastor once) is GOOD writers.  People who can tell a story and keep it within Christian doctrine without heavy-handed preaching.  It's the heavy-handedness that drives people away and gets so irritating.  Tell a story first, I feel, then worry about your message.

·
Registered
655 Posts
balaspa said:
I believe Christian fiction is a growing genre. What it needs (and I discussed this with a pastor once) is GOOD writers. People who can tell a story and keep it within Christian doctrine without heavy-handed preaching. It's the heavy-handedness that drives people away and gets so irritating. Tell a story first, I feel, then worry about your message.
Very true. I like books that make me think without telling me what to think. There aren't too many of those, though. As soon as a book starts to preach, I'll put it down, no matter how important the message (unless it's non-fiction, of course). I like to think for myself.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I believe there is a market for Christian Fiction. Is it read as widely as secular fiction.  No.  But you will find an audience.  There is an audience for almost every genre.  The Christian fiction writer just has to be carefull. They have to play to the fire and brimstoners, the ones passionate about Jesus, lukewarm Christians, and Nonbelievers.  So as to keep it biblical just not self righteous, unless that is a characters dimensions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts