Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 4 days I will celebrate a birthday of sorts.

I took some time here a few days ago and posted my story on a very large forum.  My thread had 10,000 views...and 200 responses

Many encouraged me to "write my story" or visit a publisher with my story.  I didn't tell them about my book, I didn't start the thread to sell books but to celebrate the life I was givena and reach people that may be in difficult place in life.  One person wrote me and told me about her suicidal plans.  She said, her leg is going to be amputated here in the next month.  She is an elderly grandmother.  She was afraid of having her leg removed...she said, I inspired her to move forward with life.  

On impulse this morning, I started looking for christian publishers.  So far I have Tyndale, and Tate.   Are there more?

I said I would never try this route, but if they can reach more people than I can, it's worth the effort to knock on the door.  If not, I tried.  I will keep plugging the indie route.  I have been submitting emails this morning telling them a quick synopisis of what happened to me, my life and what I learned during that night.  How to live post that, the new coping skills etc.

ETA: added a 3rd, just sent a letter to Kirkdale.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good luck.

I'll say that I find christian publishers to be the more rapacious of the lot of publishers.  Make sure you're not being swindeled into a vanity publishing scheme.  You should not PAY a cent to get published.  and make sure that publisher isn't a book mill either that publishes you and everybody else for free without regard for judicious curation.

That said good luck. You book deserves a bigger audience.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
olefish said:
Good luck.

I'll say that I find christian publishers to be the more rapacious of the lot of publishers. Make sure you're not being swindeled into a vanity publishing scheme. You should not PAY a cent to get published. and make sure that publisher isn't a book mill either that publishes you and everybody else for free without regard for judicious curation.

That said good luck. You book deserves a bigger audience.
Thank you,

I've been sending out letters. I printed off a list of 25 names. I recognize a number of them like Zondervan, I figure out of 25 (or more) I may find one house, that's a reputable publisher and my story and book will be a match for them. I am glad I am doing this, that way I can say I did knock on the traditional door. If it doesn't work, that that's ok also. I got a check in the mail yesterday from a church that wanted to buy two of my book and put in their library after a month of phone calls, emails, letters and pounding the pavement shairng my story with them.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got an email back, one asked for a one paragraph synopsis of my book.  Why I wrote my book, who I think the Target audience is... I didn't expect a reply in one day.  It said to expect 6-8 weeks for a response.  I looked over the email content.  The only money they ask for as an unknown, should my book get selected is to retain a publicist to help promote my book.  Is this standard? (Of course there is more fine print but this is what jumped out at me compared to, "author buys his own books"

·
Registered
453 Posts
Christian Price said:
I got an email back, one asked for a one paragraph synopsis of my book. Why I wrote my book, who I think the Target audience is... I didn't expect a reply in one day. It said to expect 6-8 weeks for a response. I looked over the email content. The only money they ask for as an unknown, should my book get selected is to retain a publicist to help promote my book. Is this standard? (Of course there is more fine print but this is what jumped out at me compared to, "author buys his own books"
No, not standard. Absolutely no money moves from your hand.

Perhaps you should query agents who sub to christian publishers. It might be a more fruitful track. Even then the agent costs you no money. they only take a percentage of your royalties and the advance AFTER they have sold your book to a big publishing house. See querytracker.com to find a lists of christian agents. Also look at http://queryshark.blogspot.in/ on tips for how to write the perfect query.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.