Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Annually I have a goal of watching a Christmas movie every day between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I posted here, I think last year, and posted on FB this year. I now have a pretty big list of movies; if I keep it up, I may have to keep going through the New Year, LOL if I'm going to see them all! Some of these are being shown on TV during the season, a couple I own, others are available either on Netflix or Amazon and a few I may need to rent. But I'm still looking for recommendations! Obviously there are FAR more Christmas movies than this out there, but I'm looking for movies you LOVED.

I've seen Miracle on 34th St (Natalie Wood version) and Holiday Inn so far this year. Elf is on this evening on AMC, I'll probably watch it tonight! Christmas in Connecticut, which I'm not sure I've ever seen, is on tomorrow, as is Rudolph.

Four Christmases watched 12/3
A Charlie Brown Christmas
A Christmas Story
A Christmas Wish
Arthur Christmas
Bell, Book & Candle
The Bells of St Mary's watched 12/2
The Bishop's Wife
Christmas Carol (1938) (Reginald Owen)
Christmas Carol (1984) George C Scott
Christmas Carol (1999) (Patrick Stewart)
Christmas Carol/Scrooge (1941) (Alastair Sim)
Christmas Chronicles
Christmas in Connecticut watched 11/30
Christmas Vacation
Come to the Stable
Desk Set
Die Hard watched 12/1
Elf watched 11/26
Emmet Otter Jug Band
Frosty the Snowman
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (original)
Heaven Sent
Hercule Poirot Christmas
The Hogfather
The Holiday
Holiday Inn
How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Jim Carrey)
It Happened On 5th Avenue
It Happened One Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life
The Lemon Drop Kid (the song Silver Bells debuted in this Bob Hope movie)
Little Women (1919) 1950s TV episode: Jo's Story watched 11/26
Little Women (1933) (Kathryn Hepburn)
Little Women (1949) (June Allyson)
Little Women (1994) (Winona Ryder)
Love Actually
The Man Who Came to Dinner
Miracle of the Bells
Miracle on 34th St
Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol
Muppet Christmas Carol
Nightmare Before Christmas Watched 11/27
The Nine Lives of Christmas (Hallmark)
Polar Express
The Preacher's Wife
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer watched 11/29
Santa Claus is coming to town
The Santa Clause 1, 2, 3
Scrooged
A Very Merry Mix-Up (Hallmark)
While You Were Sleeping
White Christmas
The Year without a Santa Clause

·
Registered
765 Posts
Polar Express

The Nine Lives of Christmas (Hallmark)
A Very Merry Mix-Up (Hallmark)

Heaven Sent (Lifetime) This one was on sale for $.99 on Amazon and iTunes, not sure if it still is since I bought it and can't see the price.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
The Nightmare Before Christmas

We always watch Die Hard some time in December and this year Alamo Drafthouse is showing it, so we'll see it on the big screen.
I never really considered Desk Set to be "Christmassy" although I do watch it fairly regularly.  It speaks to the computer geek in me.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely consider Die Hard a Christmas movie  :D. While Desk Set isn't necessarily Christmassy, I agreed when it was suggested by Leslie, as the Christmas party is a pretty pivotal scene!  Plus, I love that movie and don't miss any chance to watch it!  It also speaks to my geekiness.  I thought it would be great fun to be on the reference desk at a library and answer questions the way Hepburn's crew does!

Desk Set trivia:  Kathryn Hepburn supplied the philodendron in her office on Desk Set as she didn't think the one the set designer provided was big enough!

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,248 Posts
The Sound of Music is not a Christmas movie as such, but growing up it always aired right around Christmas so in my mind it's Christmas-adjacent. ;D

And it has that My Favorite Things song that talks about sleighbells, and snowflakes, and packages ....

You also haven't listed Frosty the Snowman; it's as much a Christmas "movie", I'd say, as Rudolph or Charlie Brown.

O'course, if you go to the Hallmark Channel, or Halmark Movies and Mysteries, you can watch a dozen Christmas movies every Day! :eek: ;)

(You could also count any of the Doctor Who Christmas specials. ;) )

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ann in Arlington said:
The Sound of Music is not a Christmas movie as such, but growing up it always aired right around Christmas so in my mind it's Christmas-adjacent. ;D

And it has that My Favorite Things song that talks about sleighbells, and snowflakes, and packages ....

You also haven't listed Frosty the Snowman; it's as much a Christmas "movie", I'd say, as Rudolph or Charlie Brown.

O'course, if you go to the Hallmark Channel, or Halmark Movies and Mysteries, you can watch a dozen Christmas movies every Day! :eek: ;)

(You could also count any of the Doctor Who Christmas specials. ;) )
Yes! Amazon has the Doctor Who Christmas specials as a group--they're on my watch list! I didn't include them because technically, not movies! But definitely going to watch them. Still deciding whether they'll meet the quest checkoff. Maybe if I watch all of them!

I'll add Frosty, thanks! I don't watch a lot of animation, so unless someone recommends it (as happened with Charlie Brown Christmas and Rudolph), I haven't put it on. Looking for recommendations, not a complete list of every Christmas movie ever made, LOL. I'll probably add Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol as I remember watching that when I was young and enjoying it, and I'm hoping to watch several versions of A Christmas Carol this season.

I could watch a dozen of Christmas movies every day on Hallmark, or using Netflix or Amazon's Christmas movie suggestions; :eek: but again, I'm interested in specific recommendations. I don't want to invest a couple hours a Day on something that's meh (though I'm willing to allow that my taste is different from other people's and I might not enjoy a recommendation; but I'm not going to explore random movies that appear on TV.)

Sound of Music, though one of my favorite movies, and if it is on this season, I'll watch it--I never miss it! But it's not quite Christmas adjacent enough for me to consider it meeting the quest qualification. My quest. :p

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andra said:
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Playing tonight on the "Freeform HD Channel, whatever that is." And in December on the Disney HD channel. On the calendar!

Betsy

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
You already have all of my recommendations on your list!  If you are going to add animations, however, you MUST include the original The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (I dislike the movie version with Jim Carrey, but love the original animated).  ;D

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crebel said:
You already have all of my recommendations on your list! If you are going to add animations, however, you MUST include the original The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (I dislike the movie version with Jim Carrey, but love the original animated). ;D
Cool! Not sure I ever saw the original, so that may be the one I watch of the two. So many movies, so few days LOL

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MichelleB675 said:
Freeform used to be ABC Family. It became Freeform a year or so ago.
Thanks! That explains how they got the movie, too. Probably still owned by Disney!

·
Super Moderator
67,248 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Cool! Not sure I ever saw the original, so that may be the one I watch of the two. So many movies, so few days LOL
The original animated Grinch is an hour long ... I agree, Jim Carey's live action wasn't as good. But, then, I grew up on it. Features Boris Karloff as the voice of the Grinch. Very true to the Dr Suess book -- basically it's the full text read with animated illustrations and music added.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ann in Arlington said:
The original animated Grinch is an hour long ... I agree, Jim Carey's live action wasn't as good. But, then, I grew up on it. Features Boris Karloff as the voice of the Grinch. Very true to the Dr Suess book -- basically it's the full text read with animated illustrations and music added.
Cool! Added to the list.

I'll note that the Little Women (1919) listed in my initial post, which I thought would be a silent movie version, is instead part 2 of a 1950's TV production of Little Women (part 1 being Meg's Story). Part 2 is Jo's Story, which was my favorite part of the book anyway, but doesn't start at Christmas, which was the basis for Little Women (Winona Ryder version) being recommended by my cousin. Of note is that Jo is played by Nancy Marchand, who had a long and storied career. Here's the link to the show, if you want to see the TV episode. It got good reviews but the reviews do all note that it's NOT the silent film version. I just glanced at the overall rating, not the actual reviews before watching. I enjoyed it!

Little Women (Jo's Story)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anguabell said:
We always watch Dr. Who Christmas specials, and The Hogfather (based on the Terry Pratchett's book). And Hercule Poirot's Christmas.
Thanks, I'll add Hogfather and Hercule Poirot's Christmas to the list of potentials!

I'm trying to avoid actually renting anything because I'm cheap...so some of what I'll watch will depend on what's available to either stream for free or for me to record and watch as needed! I'll never get through this whole list but keep 'em coming, everyone!

Betsy

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
For animated (or stop-motion) movies, my favorites are The Year Without a Santa Claus (with the Cold Miser and the Heat Miser) and Sant Claus is Coming to Town (with the Winter Warlock).
Both of those were annual events on TV when I was growing up. I found them on DVD a few years ago and watch them each December.

·
Super Moderator
67,248 Posts
Last year my brother was elected mayor of his town. For Christmas that year, one of his friends gave him a plush toy of "Burgermeister Meisterburger", (from Santa Claus is coming to Town) which seemed appropriate. :)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Watched Elf last night, which I haven't watched in several years. Usual goofy Will Ferrell fare, with the added pleasure of some very good supporting actors including Bob Newhart as his adoptive Elf father and Ed Asher as Santa. Loved Ed Asher as Santa. Pleasant couple of hours!

Tonight will probably be Nightmare Before Christmas, which I've never seen. Recording now while I watch something else.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts