Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neil Gaiman put this up on Twitter. There's no point in RTing it there since everyone already follows him, so for you non-Twitter people here you go:

http://www.theclarionfoundation.org/writeathon/wrtn-home.htm

In tandem with Clarion West, Clarion UCSD will be running its second annual Write-a-Thon this summer. We'll be egging each other on and sharing resources. We are pleased to be part of this joint effort, and are excited about the outlook for another year of cooperation and competition!

What is a write-a-thon, anyway? Think charity walk-a-thon. In a walk-a-thon, volunteers agree to walk as far as they can in return for pledges from sponsors who agree to donate to a charity, usually based on the number of miles the volunteer walks. Our Write-a-Thon works the same way, except instead of walking or running, our volunteers write with a goal in mind. In return, sponsors make donations to Clarion, sometimes based on number of words written, sometimes based on other goals, sometimes just to show support for the writer and Clarion.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I'll be joining.  Not sure yet of my goals, because I have a bunch of editing and formatting to do in that time too.

If you can't join the writing, and you can't donate, please spread the word and help recruit donors.

Camille

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
MeiLinMiranda said:
Neil Gaiman put this up on Twitter. There's no point in RTing it there since everyone already follows him, so for you non-Twitter people here you go:

http://www.theclarionfoundation.org/writeathon/wrtn-home.htm
"Everyone" does not follow Neil Gaiman. I personally make it a rule not to follow "celebrities".

Boooorrrrring.

Anyway, I'm not interested in raising money for Clarion. For Afghan orphans or disabled vets, yes. But Clarion? They charge $3200 for their workshop, by the way.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Congratulation on being accepted.  I went to Clarion in 2002 when it was still in East Lansing.

It was six weeks of writing, partying and very little sleeping but it brought my writing on to a stage that would have taken at least two years of hard graft otherwise,

You'll enjoy it.

Mike

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
JRTomlin said:
"Everyone" does not follow Neil Gaiman. I personally make it a rule not to follow "celebrities".

Boooorrrrring.

Anyway, I'm not interested in raising money for Clarion. For Afghan orphans or disabled vets, yes. But Clarion? They charge $3200 for their workshop, by the way.
Yeah, that's what the money is for -- to offset the cost of transportation and tuition and board. It costs a lot of money to put on the workshop. And it's a life-changing event because it's intensive, 24/7, six weeks with 18 other apprentices and 6 pros, all locked up together, to breathe and eat writing and publishing. When they call it bootcamp, they're not kidding.

I agree with Mike, it's one thing to say that you'd rather support another cause, but it is not necessary to be snide.

Camille

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Annie, congratulations. I have waffled over applying myself many times, but so far I a) can't afford it in either time or money and b) am still workshop-shy after a bad experience many years ago.

JR, I'm not much of a celebrity-follower myself, but I don't find Neil boring. My "everyone" comment was more of a joke; not "everyone" follows him, but 1.5 million-plus people do, including most of the people who follow me--hence the needlessness of retweeting him. Perhaps next time I'll use more smileys. Give you joy of your fundraising for more worthy causes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts