Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating signing my two girls (5 and 6) up for ballet classes for the summer. Has anyone here done this? The place I've checked out is affordable and at a convenient location but I'm afraid I'm going to have to fight the hubby to do it. He's not in favor of our girls doing anything so "girlie". :D But my girls love to dance, er try to dance and I think it could be fun for them.

But I don't want to get in over my head expense-wise either. Does anyone know what kinds of supplies etc are required for ballet classes? Special shoes maybe? If you've done this before, did you kids get tired of it quickly or dread the recitals?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Seems healthy to me. My girl went to ballet until teacher got hunting tag for musk ox. So no ballet does not lead to girly girls that is personality thing. This training helps in coordination and flexibility that would transfer to any sport and self confidence.
So if you can afford and if the girls have fun then it would be great.
Sylvia

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
My Goddaughter started ballet dancing at a very young age.....she followed dancing of all sorts into her 20's. Nothing "Girlie" there....this is an extremely physical activity....as much as any "guy-sport".

Good exercise, healthy living, self-discipline, good camaraderie, fun....

Win-win situation......go for it !!

·
Registered
20,391 Posts
see if you can have them sit in on a couple of classes.  while they might enjoy trying to dance, they might not be into the class thing.  and yes, they will need shoes, possibly two pairs each, so that might be something to explore.  and two words regarding ballet being girlie-- Mikail Baryshnikov.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I remember taking ballet and tap lessons as a child ('50s).  I remember why -- whether I wanted to or Mom thought it was a good idea.  I'm guessing one pair of ballet shoes and maybe a leotard will be needed.  What I do remember and even back then being envious of -- how limber the teacher was. 

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
In addition to what has already been mentioned, my granddaughter also went through a few pair of tights while she took ballet classes. She enjoyed it for a couple years and then switched to softball followed by swimming. The cost for recital outfits was very reasonable as one or more parents usually sewed wrap-around skirts, scarves, etc. to be worn with the leotard, tights, and shoes.

The coordination and practice performing with and in front of others has stood her in good stead.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
My hubby also doesn't like my daughter to be too girlie.  He hopes she doesn't want to be a cheerleader.  (even though I was one!)  I read somewhere that ballet is a tremendous foundation for any sport your kids might move on to.  So, tell your hubby that.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
My husband did ballet at your daughters' ages.  Then he moved on to gymnastics.  Our kids do karate.  They all teach really great things about discipline, balance, persistance, etc.  I'd say give it a try.  It doesn't have to be a lifetime commitment!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Dara England said:
He's not in favor of our girls doing anything so "girlie".
Remind your husband that there are plenty of male ballet dancers. ;)

My older daughter never did ballet (just gymnastics), but we just signed our younger daughter (3.5 yrs old) up for a ballet/tap combo class, and she loves it. She is required to have ballet slippers and tap shoes, both of which I purchased from the studio for $40. The monthly fee for the class is $50, although we signed up when they were having a special--two months for the price of one. Anyway, the benefits are countless. Besides ballet/tap, our daughter is learning discipline, coordination, balance, etc. We have made a two-month commitment and will see how she feels at the end of this timeframe. If she enjoys it and wants to continue, great! If not, then we'll try something else. It's all about keeping her active, introducing her to the arts, and her having fun, and those are all good things. ;)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
When I was out visiting my nieces (and their parents) last summer, I went with my brother to take them to gymnastics class. They were 5 at the time, and it was fairly basic stuff: mainly for building balance and coordination, but they seemed to really enjoy it. If you find a ballet class that your girls enjoy as much as my nieces enjoyed their gymnastics class, I can't see anything but good coming out of it. But that's the secret, right: finding the right class -- or probably more specifically the right teacher -- that is both fun and effective. (The nieces also took some ballet classes, but I didn't get to see that. Last time I saw them, though, they showed me first position, second position, etc. :) )

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My daughter took ballet for two or three years.  It was wonderful for balance and coordination and building strength.  She was required to have ballet slippers and leotards.  Awww she looked so sweet and had a good time. 

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
Assuming you can afford whatever activity is in question:

If the kids want to learn ballet, they should take ballet classes.

If they'd rather play baseball, you shouldn't put them in ballet.

Really, it should more about what the kids want than what the parents want.

Of course, kids can be fickle. . . . .for really young kids, you don't want to commit to too many lessons at a time in case they lose interest. Older kids, especially with team sports, need to learn to understand that they are committing to a certain amount of time, after which they can make a decision about continuing.

And it's o.k. if one kid likes the lessons and the other doesn't want them. . . . .

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I took ballet lessons for several years when I was much younger and really enjoyed it. My mom had to buy us shoes, tights, a leotard, and a skirt, but I don't think it was that expensive. And of course, my younger sister got all my hand-me-downs as I grew out of it. It was the one lesson that I really didn't get tired of (unlike my piano lessons - euugh!). The only reason I had to stop was because I completed all the classes in my neighborhood and I would have had to go downtown for point lessons (where you use the special shoes and stand on the very point of your toes). I'd really recommend it since your kids like to dance!

·
Registered
674 Posts
My daughter who is now 24 did weekly ballet lessons from the age of 4 through 13.  She was never particularly talented at it, but  she loved it. Her teacher switched to Jazz in the summers so there was always some variety. It was good for her in developing balance, flexibility, and coordination - but also in learning a discipline, to follow directions, get along with peers, and perform on stage.  She also did some soccer, softball, girl scouts, yuth group,drama club, etc over the years. My son did soccer, baseball, karate, boy scouts, cross country. They both were in band & chorus... It's important to strike a balance between giving them lots of opportunities to try activites but not "overbooking them." There are physical benefits to these activities but also social  & emotional. And every kid needs to have somenon-organized free play time.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your input guys. In the end I decided to enroll my girls in the classes. Then I called the lady and found out I had misunderstood and the classes don't even start until this fall. :( I was really looking more for something they could start now and do over the summer.

So now I'm looking around at the other dance studios in my town. This would be much simpler if they had websites with their info available online but for some reason they don't.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts