Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have downloaded KIM by Rudyard Kipling and PUDDIN’HEAD WILSON by Mark Twain.  Both books are so filled with mistakes, grammatical and spelling errors, that I can hardly read them.  I don’t understand what’s going on here.  It’s as if they are poor translations of another language.  Has anyone else had this experience?  I’m new to Kindle use!

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Possibly the file was created from a print book that was scanned with OCR software and not properly proofed.

If you bought it from Amazon you can return it within a week. Check other versions -- some might even be free -- for better editing/formatting/proofreading.

·
5,910 Posts
Many of these older, out of copyright books, particularly ones offered for free, are scanned from physical copies using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) which is often unreliable as far as accuracy goes.

Very often, no-one reads and edits the resulting file to correct the errors the software has made when 'reading' the book.

Presumably, the only other way to get a digital copy is for someone to type up the entire book from scratch - which takes time and effort and will therefore rarely be offered for free.

Before downloading a book, take the time to read the reviews which will often give you a good indication as to the quality of a scanned  book. Also take the time yourself to leave a review for the particular copies you downloaded so that other people will know what they're like.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Try getting classic books from Gutenberg.org. They're free and legal and they have a great collection. They're also scans of printed books but they're each very carefully proofed 3 times before they're released and they're very done. I was a volunteer proofer for them for a few years when I first retired. They really care about quality.

An interesting side-note about Gutenberg.org is that it was founded by the late Michael Hart, the inventor of ebooks in, as I recall, 1971. I was in a forum with him for years and I can assure you he was fanatical about quality. He was fanatical about pretty much everything, in fact. He and I couldn't stand each other. But that aside, he did change the world in some very important ways.

There's another, newer site that's doing some of the same things except they're making slight changes to make books understandable today to deal with language changes. I'm not sure of the site's name but it's something like Standard Ebooks or some such. I'm not sure how I feel about what they're doing but I haven't read any of their books so I'm reserving judgement. They claim they're only making very minor changes to a word now and then.

I just googled them and it's https://standardebooks.org/. It's worth taking a look at.

Barry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts