Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just opened up my purse to get my Kindle out and I'm wondering why my new M-Edge cover is damp... Turns out the water bottle I packed in my purse this morning has leaked all over my bag. Even with the door closed to my office all my coworkers could hear the four letter expletive that came out of my mouth. Saying a silent prayer, I press Alt-AA. Thankfully my Kindle is still in working order. No damage done, the M-edge has spared disaster to my Kindle.

So, Lesson #1: Always cover your Kindle

Lesson #2: Never carry a water bottle in your purse

I'm thankful that my Kindle is okay. However, my iPhone is a different story -- no response what so ever when I turn it on. I'm hoping that it will dry out and start working again... otherwise my husband is going to have an aneurysm

·
Registered
455 Posts
YIKES!!!! That was a close call! One of the reasons I have left AIVAS home that last few days is I don't have a cover for him yet.

Glad disaster was avoided for your Kindle. Hope your iPhone recovers. I have one too and love it!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Put your phone in a plastic sealable bag with dry rice.  The rice will pull the moisture out.  Maybe not all of it, but give it a try anyway.  Leave it in the bag overnight at least.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Just a quick thread snatch to suggest to new K owners that it's a good idea to put the Kindle Customer Service phone number in your Kindle, and also in your cell phone; just in case.

Thanks.  Now, back to the original dilemma. 

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sparkplug said:
I'm thankful that my Kindle is okay. However, my iPhone is a different story -- no response what so ever when I turn it on. I'm hoping that it will dry out and start working again... otherwise my husband is going to have an aneurysm
Glad your K made it thru the flood.

The iphone might be terminal. And it is hard to point the finger somewhere else. The smart guys at Apple put a H2O sensor down the headphone jack that tells them where to point the blame. Hope you get lucky. I'm not sure if it is covered under the extended warranty. You can get a discount on a replacement, if your husband will let you.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I noticed last time I was at the Container Store that they had small plastic water resistant pouches that look like they will fit the Kindle perfectly. I am waiting for my Amazon cover to come (hopefully tomorrow!) and then I am going to go back to see if it does fit. If so, I will buy it. My K2 (Trixie) will hopefully be forever safe in her cover and then zipped inside the pouch.

Here's a link:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?CATID=252&PRODID=63319

Dimensions of the large are 7-1/2" x 9-7/8" x 2-1/8", so I think it will fit. Not the most gorgeous case, but I think it will serve it's purpose... plus, it is only $5.99. More money for books!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
drenee said:
Just a quick thread snatch to suggest to new K owners that it's a good idea to put the Kindle Customer Service phone number in your Kindle, and also in your cell phone; just in case.

Thanks. Now, back to the original dilemma.
I made 3 labels today - just used regular address labels & typed them up on the computer. Two were "If lost please call Emily at (cell number)". I put one of those on back of my Kindle, the other I put on one side of a business-card-sized card & slipped in the pocket of my cover; on the other side of that card I put the 3rd label with the Kindle Support toll-free number. Better than the tired little pieces of note paper I had in there. Printed up a set for my husband's Kindle too - will see if he'll use them...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad your Kindle survived so sorry to hear about your phone.  Hope it dries out.  My Kindle has also been staying home until I get a cover.  I carried it around packed in the box it came in for a few days but decided I didn't want to take any chances.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Good luck with the phone. At least is was fresh water. My husband slipped and fell off of our boat into salt water. He had his phone, the clickers to both cars and his glasses on his face. The phone and clickers died and the glasses floated away. Needless to say it was a $600 day. I was so glad I didn't do it.

The worst part was getting him out of the water back on the boat. Bad knees. I finally threatened him with 911 if he couldn't get out. Nothing like humiliation to aid the climb back into the boat. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unfortunately, you did what people should NOT do when an electronic gadget has been in contact with water.  You should NOT turn it on to see if it still works.  Water on the circuits won't hurt, but water on a circuit with power going through it will fry things. 

It's always best when you find a device soaked to let it dry for a long, long time. Even a day or two.  Then try it out.  You got lucky with the Kindle for sure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.