Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I noticed a few things about these covers, which I found interesting. First off, they were obviously given a K2
to work with to make theirs, or at at least in order to take their pics. No other outside vendors seem to have had this
advantage. I also really like how they used what appears to be elastic for the corners, simple and sleek looking imo.
I also like how they used white on the Ruby (which appears to be sold out) and the copper weave. I also really like the slim look
of these.
I have to admit, I have been concerned with the Oberon, if it will be too bulky for the new slimmer K2s. For some reason,
as much as I loved my cover, I can not picture it for this new model, unless they thin it somehow. I have not pre ordered, cause
I kind of want to wait.
Actually if they still had the Ruby Cole Haan above, I might just click it... though I am concerned that you can not fold them back.
Also the lack of closure.

I am basically confused and at this point, just waiting... I want to see what else comes out and what the new Oberons look like! If these CH's were a little cheaper, I would probably go ahead and get one... ???

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IZZ7TU/ref=kinw_dp_shvlKindleOther_

·
Registered
921 Posts
For me I didn't like the Cole Haan cover.  That inside pocket looks like an after thought.  And so far, they are the highest priced cover out there (that I've seen anyway).  Just not for me

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am also tempted by this one, which seems like you could fold it back. I will still probably
want an Oberon but figure, I can probably sell this one...if I wanted too.

I may just go ahead an order, since I can return it if I don't like it.....!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I too have concerns that the Oberon might be too thick and bulky for the slim K2, but I ordered one anyway.  So I guess I'll find out!

I like the CH's except they are too much money (IMO) for what it is -- I feel like I'd be paying just for the name.  And I don't care for the lack of closure.  I also plan to order an M-edge platform style which looks fairly slender and will give me a little variety as far as the covers go.

Honestly no one has had a K2 before so I think we're all kind of guessing as to what will work best for each of us.  Go with whichever one feels right for you.  It's a shame all of the companies who made Kindle covers weren't able to have a heads-up from Amazon to be ready for the release with their products.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
It appears that Belkin, Cole Haan, Patagonia and possibly GelaSkins all got a K2. At least a mock-up of one for pictures.

I do like the Cole Haan, except for the pocket inside. It looks kind of silly to me. Maybe if it was the same color as the interior. I also don't like the lack of closure.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Looking at the Cole Haan cover, is it possible that CH had originally intended the cover for some other product that didn't materialize? 

B/c the pocket looks like it might be best suited for business cards.  I hardly ever need business cards with my Kindle, but that could just be me.  Or possibly, nobody that was in on the design actually uses a kindle, and they didn't get an actual one to play with, so they have a different idea of its functionality?  Maybe?

·
Registered
202 Posts
The lack of a closure strap, the price, and the fact that they look flimsy (in my opinion) make these covers not an option for me.  Honestly, they don't seem rigid enough to give the kindle any protection.  Flimsy and floppy are how they seem to me... we'll see what people say once they get them.  Obviously, someone is buying them since they are sold out, so what do I know!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Here's another thing that might bug me about the CH covers (I've been checking them out this morning!).  I think from being opened/folded back, the front cover will stop laying flat against the kindle.  Some of my regular paperback books do this and I find it irritating - I always lay them upside down b/c of it.  I don't want to have to lay my Kindle upside down to keep the cover closed!  Too bad they didn't include a closure of some type on those.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After doing a little more research, I actually think the CH are made by Amazon, or whoever makes their covers and the Cole Haan's name is probably just licensed to them (not an uncommon practice). There is nothing on their own site http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/home.jsp about these, so I would not expect them to show up at the outlet. I also think they are overpriced for what they are.

I just looked at the Patagonia and I kind of like it, just wish it was in some other colors and didn't have the ugly logo on it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I heard that they are worth the extra money. Feel super nice and very nice fit as well. Not to mention, they look very professional and super clean design.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Octochick said:
After doing a little more research, I actually think the CH are made by Amazon, or whoever makes their covers and the Cole Haan's name is probably just licensed to them (not an uncommon practice). There is nothing on their own site http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/home.jsp about these, so I would not expect them to show up at the outlet. I also think they are overpriced for what they are.

I just looked at the Patagonia and I kind of like it, just wish it was in some other colors and didn't have the ugly logo on it.
I kind of like that one too - at least to use temporarily until my others get here. But I just looked and I wish it was half the price! $40?? I agree -- more colors and no ugly logo would be a plus. Not that we're particular or anything. ;) :D

Interesting -- in the description it states that it has no metal hardware to interfere with wireless function. Has that been a problem with any of the other covers??

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kind said:
I heard that they are worth the extra money. Feel super nice and very nice fit as well. Not to mention, they look very professional and super clean design.
Are you talking about the Cole Haan? Where did you hear that from, just curious since you can only pre-order and they will not ship till the Kindle is release next week.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kari said:
I kind of like that one too - at least to use temporarily until my others get here. But I just looked and I wish it was half the price! $40?? I agree -- more colors and no ugly logo would be a plus. Not that we're particular or anything. ;) :D

Interesting -- in the description it states that it has no metal hardware to interfere with wireless function. Has that been a problem with any of the other covers??
Yeah, I actually noticed the price after I posted and thought no way! Way too ugly to cost that much. I have not heard about any problems with metal hardware... maybe they just thought they needed to say that cause it zips all the way around?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
traceyreads said:
Oh, good idea! I wonder if there is an Outlet close by...
I just read the entire description and it says they were made exclusively for Amazon by Cole Haan... so do not hold your breath for an outlet to carry them.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Also -- I spoke to someone at Oberon and he stated that they will be evaluating and making design changes for the K2 cover starting next week when they receive theirs.  So they could possibly make changes which will complement the new thinner, sleeker Kindle.  

·
Registered
137 Posts
Octochick said:
I just read the entire description and it says they were made exclusively for Amazon by Cole Haan... so do not hold your breath for an outlet to carry them.
Shoot. I really like the woven style cover... Oh well, I just stick the M-edge cover I have on order... Or just keep trying to get more SwagBucks to redeem for Amazon gift certificates..

·
Registered
308 Posts
Octochick said:
I am also tempted by this one, which seems like you could fold it back. I will still probably
want an Oberon but figure, I can probably sell this one...if I wanted too.

I may just go ahead an order, since I can return it if I don't like it.....!
I love this case . I look at it every day and so far I have resisted buying it. Don't know how much longer I will hold out! I like that it looks light. I also like that nothing closes it. I hate the m-edge strap. This case in particular looks like it will stay closed fine. Some of there other ones maybe not so much. But these and the amazon case have more of a book look because no snap closures. They can't do a magnetic closure like sony because of the wireless so this is the best they can do and still give it a sleek book look. I am not worried about it looking "flimsy" because I hated heavy, bulky cases for the kindle and I have a sleeve I put it in with the case when I am done for the day or traveling with it anyway.

I would say amazon contracted with Cole Haan, Belkin, and Patagonia to give some designer cases and sleeves from the get go which I think was a good idea.

But one concern I do have for these cases and why I have only ordered the amazon leathere case, is the fact they use elastic. Can't that stretch out of shape and then be useless?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts