Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm sure this isnt the first thread on this topic, so apologies for the potential repeat. I was intrigued by this thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,68140.0.html at how people group their Collections.

I want to group by Author, rather than genre, cos some just dont feel right being put into "Romance" or whatever.

What kind of collection lables have you had, aside from Genres?

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am currently using these collections:

{{{Currently Reading}}}
{{{To Read}}}
{{Butcher, Jim - Codex Alera Series}}}
{{Child, Lincoln - Pendergast Series}}}
{{Clancy, Tom - Jack Ryan Series}}
{{Clancy, Tom - Net Force Series}}
{{Clancy, Tom - Op Center Series}}
{{Clancy, Tom - Other}}
{{Clancy, Tom - Power Plays Series}}
{{Clancy, Tom - Splinter Cell Series}}
etc.
{Butcher, Jim}
{Child, Lincoln}
{Clancy, Tom}
etc.

That way I can keep my home page sorted by Title and have my {{{Currently Reading}}} and {{{To Read}}} show up at the top, immediately followed by {{Author Last Name, Author First Name - Series Name}} for each of my series, and then {Author Last Name, Author First Name} for each of my authors.

For each of my series, I also create a Series_Name.txt file showing the order of the books in that series. I use www.fantasticfiction.co.uk to get the correct information.

·
Registered
30 Posts
ooh sorting by author! it never occurred to me to have a folder for each of my favorite authors! That would make sense for me as a lot of my favorite books are series.

Now if only I could make individual folders for each of my favorite authors inside of my favorites folder I would be a very happy person!! 

·
Registered
43,324 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine are mostly divided by genre, but there are a few authors that have their own category. The one thing I feel the Kindle is missing is sub-folders. That would make my organizational life so much easier.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Great question!

I didn't use collection for a long time -- but I finally had to start, because I was having trouble finding the things I was looking for.

History
Sometimes I wanted to learn something on my Kindle instead of reading fiction. I've got over 30 non-fiction books -- like the Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, and even some memoirs by Mark Twain. Now I've got them all grouped together in a collection, which makes them easier to find.

Christmas Stories
I'd downloaded a bunch of free public-domain stories for Christmas, but I realized they were hard to find among all of my other e-books. (Plus, I didn't necessarily want to keep reading them in January!) :)

Java
I downloaded a bunch of e-books to teach myself how to program in Java. But when I'm trying to take a break from learning, I don't want to keep stumbling across these books!

Games
I've downloaded a lot of games on my Kindle, and I realized that sometimes you want a game, and sometimes you want an e-book. So it made sense to have them all in a separate collection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i'm  a relatively new Kindle owner, so if i'm way off base on this - then chalk it up to that, pls. :)

i use collections too, but never really thought about subfolders. you could accomplish the same thing, couldn't you, by "linking" your subfolder names? for example, you've got "Science Fiction" as a folder, then you could have "Science Fiction: author's name". if you sort by alpha, they'd group together and act like a subfolder...

hope this makes sense.

also, one of my folders is "Nightstand" - that's where i keep the book i'm currently reading, and the few that are next on my list.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have numbers for different genres and sub genres when there is a large group of one sort in a sub genre or when I want things to stand out. I have some sub genres that are simple writers and sometimes they are books in different languages and stuff like that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys :) I found a nice thread about grouping via series, and I think I'll do that by series as well as author :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Aside from the regular genres (horror, fantasy, mystery, etc), I also have:

Now Reading
Read
Me (pieces I've written)
Work (job descriptions for positions I'm considering)
A folder for each grad school I'm considering
Games
Audio (audiobooks)

·
Registered
466 Posts
I found that I don't much use the genre collections, and never used the author series collections. I can get into a genre and then sort by author, which seems about good enough. So when I just got my replacement Kindle, I have reserved a "level" where I might put series or author collections, but I doubt that I'll use them. The categories in the top 3 levels below get 95% of the use, although I do make sure that everything is put in a genre, mainly so I can get an overall view of what kinds of books I'm buying.

Symbol Level Name
_ 1 Currently Reading
_ 1 Games & Puzzles
~ 2 Reference
~ 2 Samples
~ 2 Unread
[ 3 Finished Reading
+ 4 Fiction - Classic Literature
+ 4 Fiction - Crime
+ 4 Fiction - Drama
+ 4 Fiction - Futuristic
+ 4 Fiction - Historic