Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I add a series of books to a Kindle Collection is there a way of adding a number so I know they are in the correct order?

·
Super Moderator
67,491 Posts
I keep track of my series in a separate spreadsheet. And as I note what I've read in GoodReads, there's always a record there, too, of where I am in various series.

There are programs you can get so you can download books to your computer, manipulate the meta data to re-name things -- say to add a series # -- and then transfer to your device via a USB connection. I see that as a lot of extra work for not a lot of benefit.

For series, there is a feature in most newer kindles (at least back to the Voyage if the software is up to date) that will automatically group books in a series -- if, of course, the book is properly coded. If you have this feature turned on, one of the sort options is 'series order'. You don't see it normally, but will see it when you look at the full series.

·
6,000 Posts
As I think I've mentioned before I don't have that series option in settings that Ann refers to (maybe it's a US only thing?) so what I do is type up a list of the series in order and then send it to my Kindle using the 'send to Kindle' applet.

Then you can either put that document in the collection for that series or you can have a separate collection where you keep all your series order docs. That way you have access to the series order actually on your Kindle. I find that works better for me than keeping a separate record.

It all rather depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
I use a computer program called Calibre to keep track of my book collections. It's like a book database so you can have various columns like Title, Author, Series, Number in Series, Ratings, Read, Date Read, etc. You can load the books into the database and from there load it into various Kindles or other readers. Do a search for it for all the features as I don't really use it much more than to keep track of my books.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I keep track of my series in a separate spreadsheet. And as I note what I've read in GoodReads, there's always a record there, too, of where I am in various series.

There are programs you can get so you can download books to your computer, manipulate the meta data to re-name things -- say to add a series # -- and then transfer to your device via a USB connection. I see that as a lot of extra work for not a lot of benefit.

For series, there is a feature in most newer kindles (at least back to the Voyage if the software is up to date) that will automatically group books in a series -- if, of course, the book is properly coded. If you have this feature turned on, one of the sort options is 'series order'. You don't see it normally, but will see it when you look at the full series.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am not very good on the computer so most of what you say is over my head. I should have explained that before I asked for advice. Sorry!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts