Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a couple of articles and even saw a piece on the local news about a "new" trend of coloring books for adults. It made me laugh. Coloring books for adults is about a new trend as much as the discovery of America was an actual discovery. Some of us were already living there... I blogged about it, with a collection of great titles and online resources (if you'd like to read it) at my blog

I have a small collection of coloring books ranging from Art Nouveau to Zen art (literally A to Z!). It relaxes me and focuses me to the page in front of me, the moment and nothing else, when I need to shut out the world and center myself. My collection is physical because I like the feel of the paper, the blending of colored pencils, etc. If there was an equivalent electronic app, I'd probably buy it -- but I think most of the apps are for kids and not as sophisticated with the artwork.

Do any of you color for relaxation or to find inspiration?

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
My adult children (now in their 30s) still expect "Santa" to bring a new box of crayons or colored pencils and coloring books in their Christmas stockings every year and would be horrified if that tradition ended. There were a few years along the way when it was difficult to find "adult" coloring books, but Santa doesn't have any trouble these days. Amazon is actually a very good source. Here are some of the recent books that found their way to our house on Christmas morning.

The stained glass coloring books have been very popular, like these

Yes, this mom still puts pictures on the refrigerator and the grown-up projects are right alongside those from the grandkids. We all still love coloring and find it relaxing and fun. I would love to know other sources people find.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
crebel said:
My adult children (now in their 30s) still expect "Santa" to bring a new box of crayons or colored pencils and coloring books in their Christmas stockings...
That is awesome, Crebel! Reminds me of the year Mom found the Erté coloring book at one of the thrift shops and got so excited, and the cashier asked, "Oh, how sweet! And how old is your little girl?" And Mom said, "Just turned 40." <stunned silence>

Hadn't seen the faces one, looks like a fun one.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Kali.Amanda said:
Hi Bobbic! Most of the ones in my collection are Dover. There are a lot of online resources now though, which makes it all the more interesting. Well, and free!
Yes, free is good! :) There's also a ton of free clip-art you can print out and color.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm glad to see there are others who know about the joy of Dover books (most of my own small collection is of Dover books). And the best part is that these are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I actually still color in some of my old "kids" coloring books from time to time - just because I can.
A few years ago, I purchased Coloring Mandalas I and some nice colored pencils from Amazon and it has provided a lot of relaxation for me. I need to look into some of these other options.
Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
I'm pulling this thread from a year ago back to the top because there is a current thread in the Writer's Café about whether adult coloring books are really a thing or just a passing fad. I just bought these coloring books from a Hobby Lobby this last week, but they are all available from Amazon for the same prices they were "on sale" at HL. There must be hundreds of new books available now, many with a publication date of July 2015. My personal favorite and the one I am keeping for myself instead of passing along to Santa is the Vintage Fans.

Those of you who are coloring, do you have a preference for pencils, watercolor pencils, pastels, crayons, etc. and why?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I've been really interested in coloring, too, but haven't started yet.
I found a super helpful review on Amazon, it's the first one by Mar U, and she adds a helpful list explaining the tools that she uses.

You can check it out here if you're interested: http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Garden-Inky-Treasure-Coloring/dp/1780671067/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446668328&sr=1-6&keywords=adult+coloring+books+best+sellers

I haven't tried anything she's listed, so can't speak to the quality, but when I get started, I'll probably use her recommendations, so thought I'd offer them here.

Anyone else have recommendations about what's worked for you?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts