Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spotted this today:

http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-178-kindle-2.aspx

If this were $50 I might do it, but $199 seems a bit insane to me, even if it does make the Kindle 2 colorful and scratch-proof. Also, I wonder how this effects the grip. If anyone ends up doing this, I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Cheers,

C.K.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Wow, that is pricey!

I think I would go with a DecalGirl skin (or similar) and then put a bestskinsever over it. I use bestskinsever on my iphone and all the ipods in the house...they have yet to get a scratch on them.

I would be interested to know if anyone has gotten the colorware done and how they like it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks like you either send in your Kindle and the replace the casing in your color arrangements or they'll redo a whole new Kindle for you in your color choice.  Those both explain the cost.

·
Super Moderator
67,555 Posts
Just played with it.  If you want the metallic back or the keys to be something different that's extra.  Other wise they don't seem to care about what colors you pick for the different parts.  They charge $400 more if you want to have a new K2 with their colors.  I'd be leery about sending them mine. . . .not that I have a K2, but, you know what I mean.  They must take it apart and put it back together.  Too scary!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Very cool....And tempting. I could have a pink Kindle? or purple? or multi-colored?

As for the warranty, it looks like it has one. I'd probably call them to see how it would work in conjunction with an extended warranty (I have square trade)

I'd be without my Kindle for awhile..but we all know I've done that before....Just for testing purposes...Someone needs to do it to be able to tell the KB members....right?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Sariy said:
Looks like you either send in your Kindle and the replace the casing in your color arrangements or they'll redo a whole new Kindle for you in your color choice. Those both explain the cost.
Looking at their process, it's a heavy duty paint job, so you're still getting back your original Kindle pieces. I'd imagine it's a glossy finish as well.

Here's what I dug off their website.

Does the coloring process affect any existing warranty I may have on my product?
As far as we understand other companies' policies our color customization typically voids the original manufacturer's warranty. If you purchase a new product from ColorWare we do include a 1 year parts and labor warranty that covers the coloring and hardware of the product. With a new product you also have the choice to upgrade to a two year warranty. If you choose to send in a product under the Send In Mine service ColorWare includes a 30 day parts and 1 year labor warranty covering the coloring and hardware of that product. There are no warranty upgrades available with the Send in Mine service.

I expect they have to dismantle the Kindle to apply this stuff fully, so all other warranties, included extended ones, are out the window. I'm not sure I'm OK with their wording here on their "new" warranty either--"coloring and hardware". I'd want a lot more details on what they're specifically going to cover. If a K2 just fails (blank screen), how are they going to decide if that's a hardware of software issue?

Ah...found the fine print:

Personal product sent in for the ColorWare Inc. colorization service is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of 1 (one) month from the date of shipping the finished product. In addition, ColorWare Inc. will waive any labor fees that may be incurred as part of a repair for 12 (twelve) months after the shipping date of the finished product.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/support.aspx?mainClass=showWarranty

$200, kills the original warranty, and no patterns, just solid color. Well, at least we know now where Stephen King's pink K2 came from! LOL If you can afford it, sounds like the best option is to order a brand new K2 through Colorware--it's $50 more, but they then provide a full one year warranty AND the option for a year extension.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Sorry darlin. But note, I did just give you permission to buy a new K2! LOL

Took them what, 10 weeks or so to get the K2 ready? So 10 weeks after the release of the DX, you should be able to buy a brand new pink one through them! :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Gosh, for the price and the hassle it seems like a skin would be the easier way to go. Maybe I just don't understand the process or the appeal of this company.
I don't really see any plus/positive side. So far we've learned it takes a long time away from your kindle, its expensive, it voids your other warrantys.

I'm not trying to discredit the company at all, just in my case I couldn't find the benefit in using this. But like I said maybe I just don't "get it" yet.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:)  I get it.  I'd love a different color of Kindle, because I like to have some choice.  Plus it's scratch-proof, which the current plastic is not.  The price tag is a bit too high for my tastes though.

Wonder if Amazon will ever consider making the Kindle casing in different colors?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would love to have color on the case...just not the high gloss. I don't have a skin for just that reason. I find any glare very distracting. If they made it in matte, I would so be there.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Seems like Amazon is crazy not to offer more choices than bright white!  Even cameras have color choices now.  Camera companies wouldn't be offering the colors if it weren't helping sales.

I would have loved a black matte finish.  Think how much brighter and lighter the screen would look on a dark background.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I get wanting to buy your kindle in a different color and if amazon had offered color choices up front I for sure wouldn't have chosen white.

But as for having the color changed while voiding your warranty,paying high $, and losing access to your kindle for a while it seems like kind of a pain.

Again I'm not trying to bash this process/company at all! Just trying to see the other side of it. See other peoples p.o.v's!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
VictoriaP said:
Sorry darlin. But note, I did just give you permission to buy a new K2! LOL

Took them what, 10 weeks or so to get the K2 ready? So 10 weeks after the release of the DX, you should be able to buy a brand new pink one through them! :)
LOL! I'll tell my husband you said I could get another Kindle. He'll be thrilled (Um, he doesn't know I've pre-ordered the DX yet.)

Honestly though, even if it didn't void my warranty, while I'd be tempted, I can't see paying that much of a premium for color...

I think Amazon should at least offer it in black in addititon to white.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Wow that is spendy, but I don't think I would trust sending in my K2.
My K2 is my baby so to speak, and I would worry too much lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.