Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 929 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on the "Devices I own but never use" a couple of people noted that they never use their Kitchenaid stand mixers. I posted this message there, but I am reposting here in the hope that more people will see it:

I noticed a couple of people on this thread posted that they have Kitchenaid stand mixers that they never use. If you would be interested in selling yours, send me a PM.

My Kitchenaid belonged to my grandmother -- it is 56 years old. She bought it in 1953 (actually, I think my father bought it for her). Even though it has been a long and loyal work horse, it is showing its age. Right now, it has two speeds: slow and medium, which makes it hard to do things like whip cream. The bowl doesn't stay screwed into the base, either. So maybe it is time for a replacement.

I probably use it about 8 or 9 times a year (more around the holidays) which has always deterred me from spending money on a new one. But I have been leery of buying a used one because I would know much about the seller, condition, etc.

So...if you'd consider parting with your Kitchenaid, let's talk and see if we can strike a deal. I don't need a really big one (the one I have know is 3 qts) nor do I need a ton of fancy attachments. Just a solid, reliable mixer that I can use for cakes, cookies, whipped cream, and waffle batter.

L

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
LOL I put one on my wedding registry............even though I rarely cook and never use a mixer.......got it and then returned it.........I know....bad bad bad......... :-X Hope you find one soon though!

KitchenAid Mixer for a new K2 step right up!! LOL

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Leslie,

I have a green one that rarely gets any use. It's maybe 4-5 years old and I've probably used it a dozen times.

It says it's a Profesional 6 (525 watts). It might be a little bigger than you're looking for though. I know you said you're not looking for attachments, but it did come with a meat grinder and cheese grater (also rarely used).

Luv

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I am still using mine that I got for my 15 birthday (quincera) it is still in use. the lower speeds are slipping. I also have a grain mill with it. I am just advicating a good machine if they are still being made that good.
sylvia

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Hi Leslie.  There are current sales on them at either JC Penny's or Sears.  I have been to both recently and I can't remember which.  I use mine all the time.  I got it for a wedding gift almost ten years ago.  I am the family baker also like to bake and give away cakes.  I know I am other peoples enabler but I want to bake them but can't eat them all or I would be huge.  The price that they are now is low enough that it is worth it to buy them.  I figure after the cost of shipping and the price of the used it can't be far away from the sale price I saw.  I think that they were down it the low $200.  A cook needs tools that work right.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ak rain said:
I am still using mine that I got for my 15 birthday (quincera) it is still in use. the lower speeds are slipping. I also have a grain mill with it. I am just advicating a good machine if they are still being made that good.
sylvia
I only want a Kitchenaid. I know they are the best!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marguerite said:
Hi Leslie. There are current sales on them at either JC Penny's or Sears. I have been to both recently and I can't remember which. I use mine all the time. I got it for a wedding gift almost ten years ago. I am the family baker also like to bake and give away cakes. I know I am other peoples enabler but I want to bake them but can't eat them all or I would be huge. The price that they are now is low enough that it is worth it to buy them. I figure after the cost of shipping and the price of the used it can't be far away from the sale price I saw. I think that they were down it the low $200. A cook needs tools that work right.
Thanks for this info, Marguerite. I think I was reading somewhere that Hobart no longer makes KA mixers and the quality and sturdiness has gone downhill. I'm not sure how long this has been (I think the company has been sold) but it is one of the reasons I was toying with the idea of looking for a good quality used one vs. brand new. Even so, it might be worth a trip to Sears or Penney's to see what they have available.

L

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Mine only gets used a few times a year, but it's one of those "pry it from my cold dead hands" things. LOL

Having said that--I got mine refurbished on a Amazon special a few years ago, after my ex husband got custody of the first one in the divorce.  If you can't find a secondhand one easily, watching Amazon Outlet for a good deal may be a viable alternative.  I know I saved around $80 on mine, and it was in perfect condition with a warranty.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have a 4.5 qt Kitchenaid on sale at Amazon for $212. I can get with free shipping and no tax, so a really good deal. While there are lots of positive reviews, a few people are complaining about burned out motors, oil dripping into the bowl, etc.

What to do, what to do....

L

·
Registered
209 Posts
I finally caved and bought the 5qt from where else-Amazon, after wanting one for years. My only concern about buying one used is that if you had a problem you would probably have to pay to ship it back to them and that could be costly. Mine weighs 28lbs w/o box and packaging.
Amazon seems to have the best pricing, and it goes according to color. If you can do with plain white, it is the cheapest.

Leslie said:
They have a 4.5 qt Kitchenaid on sale at Amazon for $212. I can get with free shipping and no tax, so a really good deal. While there are lots of positive reviews, a few people are complaining about burned out motors, oil dripping into the bowl, etc.
L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since all I've ever had is white, I don't think that will be a problem! LOL.

L

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have had my Kitchen Aid Mixer for 21 yrs now.. It gets used about twice a week, it is a workhorse, that I could never be without. I  have a hand mixer that rarely gets any use. Like me its an oldie but goodie!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Andra said:
Hmmm, does DecalGirl do skins for Kitchen Aid mixers?
OMG! I'm laughing so hard at this one! Maybe I should send them a custom request!

I feel bad, I offered to sell Leslie mine yesterday and told her I'd take pictures. When I went downstairs last night with the camera, my two oldest girls asked what I was doing. When I told them I had someone who might be interested in buying it, I was that under no circumstances was I allowed to sell it. Mind you, they're 14 and 11 and that thing is rarely used. I never expected them to be that attached to a kitchen mixer at that age. I've got weird kids.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
luvmy4brats said:
OMG! I'm laughing so hard at this one! Maybe I should send them a custom request!

I feel bad, I offered to sell Leslie mine yesterday and told her I'd take pictures. When I went downstairs last night with the camera, my two oldest girls asked what I was doing. When I told them I had someone who might be interested in buying it, I was that under no circumstances was I allowed to sell it. Mind you, they're 14 and 11 and that thing is rarely used. I never expected them to be that attached to a kitchen mixer at that age. I've got weird kids.
They want to inherit it like I inherited mine from my grandmother, via my mother. They're not weird, they're smart. The older one will claim it because she's older; the younger one will turn out to be the baker and will claim it because she'll actually use it. Mark my words. LOL.

L

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Leslie said:
They want to inherit it like I inherited mine from my grandmother, via my mother. They're not weird, they're smart. The older one will claim it because she's older; the younger one will turn out to be the baker and will claim it because she'll actually use it. Mark my words. LOL.

L
Nah, it'll be my son who gets it because he'll have taken it apart and won't get it back together properly and I'll have to go out and get new ones for all of his sisters!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have two kitchenaid mixers, both artisan models.  I think they could be improved upon, but they work better than anything else I've ever used other than two very old hamiliton beach mixers my grandmother had.

I have the tilt up head and the crank up bowl types.  I use the crank up most.  It does make it hard to get flour in the bowl without it spraying back out (even with plastic gard in place).  Make sure you get at least a 5 qt or larger, you won't regret having too large a mixer, but will regret having one too small.  

My tilt up head has a short in the motor.  I've lost speed 6.  I haven't had any motor problems with the crank up bowl mixer.  I haven't had dripping oil in either model.  

I really can't imagine not having them.  They make things so much easier.

1 - 20 of 929 Posts